• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 7.62mm Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle

SAATG

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I am in the market for this weapon and was wondering what are the better companies out there that have a decent starting weapon.

Looking for some expert advice.

What are definite musts for specs on this weapon since it is going to be predominantly a ranged weapon?

Basic things I know are must include:

1. Free float barrel
2. 18" or 20" barrel

I have not seen any out there so far that come with heavy/match grade barrels.

Re: Best 7.62mm Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle

would you not add the LMT MWS to that list?

please take your sig line's advice

.....get a GAP 10 and be done with it

Several good suggestions have been made in this thread and you should also take a look at what POF*USA has to offer as well as LWRC.

The only 'sniper' rifle is the one in the hands of a trained sniper. What you're wanting is a 'precision' rifle.

Didn't really plan on building one if there is a solid platform out there already.

I been reading good things about the LaRue OBR but wanted to see what others out there are highly rated by people on this site given this site a primary gathering place for snipers.

The Gap10 is a awesome system. Just the other day my buddy and I were shooting 1.5" poppers at 500 yards with it. Maybe missed 1 in 5 when we were shooting at it.

With that said, the only negative I have with the Gap10 is they don't appear to stake the Bolt Carrier Key. Mine came lose in a competition last weekend and cost my buddy a top 3 finish because the rifle started short stroking and jammed a round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogey Bait</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't really plan on building one if there is a solid platform out there already.

I been reading good things about the LaRue OBR but wanted to see what others out there are highly rated by people on this site <span style="font-weight: bold">given this site a primary gathering place for snipers.</span>
</div></div>

While you will find a few snipers on this forum, this is a site for shooting enthusiasts. The name of the website doesn't mean we are all snipers.

Armalite.....SASS, or even just go with an AR10T or NM. You will be happy.

I'd personally stay away from LWRC. After watching an 18" REPR fail at holding 3 MOA I'd class them as more a battle rifle than precision.

The Larue OBR and DPMS both worked well in the last RO class. Either would get my vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd personally stay away from LWRC. After watching an 18" REPR fail at holding 3 MOA I'd class them as more a battle rifle than precision. </div></div>

Were you just watching or driving? I think something was amiss there. I just picked up a LWRC M6A3 DMR in 6.8 and so far it bugholes all day long. I played around a little with some of my buddies LWRC's before I picked up this one just to be sure and I really don't think the REPR could not hold MOA with the right driver and ammo. Not to say there are not lemons that come bouncing out of the factory, but my experiance has been that the LWRC is a fine wepon and is quite accurate in the right hands.

The instructors shot it as well as the student. We swapped scopes to known good S&B, tried different ammo. Maybe it was a lemon.

Anything's possible and I'm not saying that the REPR is going to be the most accurate super rifle in the world, pulling off great feats like "hitting playing cards at 1000yds" and saving the world from the hellfire and brimstone zombie take over while cursing around in the back of a make shift Suburban with tinted windows and blacked out rims...
whistle.gif

But I do feel they are for the most part quite reliable and quite accurate. At least the upper level rifles anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd personally stay away from LWRC. After watching an 18" REPR fail at holding 3 MOA I'd class them as more a battle rifle than precision. </div></div>

I find your comment interesting, my 18" REPR holds sub 3/4 MOA, and my 16" is MOA or better.

All the rifles ref. are great options but building your own is a great experience and you will know the rifle inside and out. It is also a great feeling when you shoot it in a match and do very well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite.....SASS, or even just go with an AR10T or NM. You will be happy. </div></div>

Get the SASS....... Replace the trigger or have a good job done. Buy the best glass that you can. Never look back!

Sadly there were 4 semis at r/o LWRC REPR armalite SASS, OBR and DPMS SASS the only two to make it off the 100 yard line was the DPMS and OBR Jacob shot both with a S&B to verify. Not bashing just saying that was my experience with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadly there were 4 semis at r/o LWRC REPR armalite SASS, OBR and DPMS SASS the only two to make it off the 100 yard line was the DPMS and OBR Jacob shot both with a S&B to verify. Not bashing just saying that was my experience with them. </div></div>

Your making a grown man cry.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadly there were 4 semis at r/o LWRC REPR armalite SASS, OBR and DPMS SASS the only two to make it off the 100 yard line was the DPMS and OBR Jacob shot both with a S&B to verify. Not bashing just saying that was my experience with them. </div></div>

I didn't take it that way, I just found it interesting the one you encountered failed so miserably.

Had great results with my REPR and LMT MWS.

No matter what you purchase or from what manufacturer, whether it be a firearm or an auto, there will always be one that slips through the cracks. That doesn't mean that everything the said company produces is a lemon.

What separates the men from the boys is how quickly and efficiently they address your issue and make it right.

LWRC makes top notch firearms and I wouldn't mind owning an LWRC REPR.

I will note that the LWRC did not have a single malfunction. Flawless operation, just bad accuracy. The shooter, optics, and ammo were all changed, no avail. The Armalite SASS was having issues as well not sure why it didn't make it... accuracy or reliability it was on the other end of the line.

Love my LMT MWS!

I am not an experienced rifle shooter but had the exact same question as the OP a couple of months ago. I decided to put together an Armalite AR-10 NM and am thrilled with the results. First time out I shot the pictured group. The optic is just OK and the trigger stinks (for now) but the accuracy seems to be there. I have a lot more shooting to do to prove it but for a noob this is a great start. Function was 100% as well (60 rounds total thus far).

Group shot at 100 yards:
DSCN0755.jpg

The rifle:
DSCN0750.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pogey Bait</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have not seen any out there so far that come with heavy/match grade barrels.
</div></div>

What? Damn near every single 308 AR pattern rifle out there has a heavy or match barrel...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd personally stay away from LWRC. After watching an 18" REPR fail at holding 3 MOA I'd class them as more a battle rifle than precision. </div></div>

I find your comment interesting, my 18" REPR holds sub 3/4 MOA, and my 16" is MOA or better. </div></div>

Rifle history has alot to do with it as well. Especially on an auto where quick follow up shots can burn up a throat quickly. Not to mention the cleaning method used.

To many details left out to dismiss a company based on one rifle. However, it is posts like this that will get the attention of a perspective buyer and steer them to the Kool Aid pitcher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd personally stay away from LWRC. After watching an 18" REPR fail at holding 3 MOA I'd class them as more a battle rifle than precision. </div></div>

I find your comment interesting, my 18" REPR holds sub 3/4 MOA, and my 16" is MOA or better. </div></div>

Rifle history has alot to do with it as well. Especially on an auto where quick follow up shots can burn up a throat quickly. Not to mention the cleaning method used.

To many details left out to dismiss a company based on one rifle. However, it is posts like this that will get the attention of a perspective buyer and steer them to the Kool Aid pitcher. </div></div>

^^^Well said Hooper!!!!

I have a Gap-10 that is 3/8 moa all day , not to many semis can boast that kind of accuracy . My only complaint is the trigger has to much creep . I can't put pictures on here with my phone or I'd post a 10 shot group the size of a dime and its that big cause I rushed the last 5 shots .

Sithlord,
Put a Geissele high speed match trigger in it and really fall in love - takes 20 or so minutes. Only rifles with incredible triggers are interesting.

What about the JP LRP-07?

we all have our own opinions on this.

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">GAP 10</span></span></span>

I have a buddy who bought a Gap10, and has had to send it back twice so far....Gap has the rifle more than he does...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who bought a Gap10, and has had to send it back twice so far....Gap has the rifle more than he does...</div></div>

Uh oh...that doesn't sound good but with anything, there's always one that will slip through the cracks.

Just got back in from shooting a buddies LWRC REPR. Set the new big dog steel reactive head and chest target at 400 yards. Shot about 30 rounds at it. Hit the head about 90% of the shots fired at it. Moved to a full size ISPC target at 500 yards. To big of a target for that distance so I started aiming for the head and put 5 out 5 shots into the head. I would say the REPR has outstanding accuracy.

I however decided to go with the GAP10 in 6.5CM. I liked the thought of being able to just call gap and order another upper in whatever caliber I wanted and have essentially a new rifle. I will get a .308 upper from POF for it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would say the REPR has outstanding accuracy. </div></div>

That is what I have found as well.

Pof.......like kill shots are kickass and well built precision rifles. Also, gap, lwrc, Lmt are all great rifles.ccantbgo wrong with any of them. Any rifle ,anifacturer maybproducena lemon but if youngest poor accuracy then just send it back to the manufacturer and they will fix it free of charge.

For the record, I shoot a DI armalite ar-10 and an Lwrc 20in repr.....both are superb. The armalite holds about 1.5 moa out to about 400m and the lwrc shoots sub moa to 800m (nothing special for a several thousand dolllar rifle with a USO sn-3 scope on it).

Search the threads for precision rifles and DMR rifles and you will get some good ideas. Budget plays a huge part of how much gun and accuracy youncan expect......and I'm not saying a 400 dollar Walmart savage special with a 3x9 scope won't shoot a good group at500 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POF was my choice and I'm glad I did. </div></div>

If I had it to do all over again, I would still purchase a POF P308 20". I made the choice to go with POF twice and I haven't regretted it.

Dedicated sniping?

20" OBR
Noveske
KAC EMR

Here is the problem: All of my .308s shoot< 1" (Some problem!)

16" LMT MWSE < 1"
16" KAC EMC <1"
18" JP LRP-07 <1"

Get a 20" tube if you want all the fps you can get. Practice. Often.
Good luck.

Killshot still has one of the most badass rifles on the hide....second only to my LWRC (just kidding man....my tax refund may go to building the same rig you have just because I like how it looks and from what you say how it shoots).

i agree it is an accurate rifle. i like the repr the best for a suppressor gun. i like the lack of gas in the shooters face.