• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 700 trigger for the buck

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I am currently purchasing a stiller tac 30 for a build so I need to pick out a trigger for the action. I am willing to go to about 150 but would prefer around $100. oh and it needs to have a safety included.

thanks scott

Re: Best 700 trigger for the buck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/catalog/Rem-700-wsafety-9.html

I own 2 of them, worth every penny! I would also get the nickel plating option if I were you.</div></div>

I will agree that Timney's are very nice. Probably the first option for custom.

thanks guys how about shilen's I don't have any experience with them but have heard good things.

its not really for a rem it is for a stiller which is a rem footprint so it needs a 700 type trigger.

My fault for not reading the post carefully! The best trigger for the buck for a Stiller is a Remington! I hope that's better!
    grin.gif

How about a RifleBasix? I heard that Timney or Jewel have issues with being dirty, field condition etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jicko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a RifleBasix? I heard that Timney or Jewel have issues with being dirty, field condition etc...

</div></div>

I have never heard that about Timney, Jewell yes, but not Timney.

I have been to the desert with my timney 4 times and I have yet to clean it, it is dirty as hell too with all the winds and sand and shit. Im going to hold off on cleaning it until it fails (if it ever does)

I've had Remington triggers that I could "tune" pretty well, but, I couldn't get the one on my .308 where I wanted it so I tried a Rifle Basix, and it dropped right in, and without any adjustments, it broke at 10 oz.

I preferred a Timney; I went looking online at Brownells and MidWay, neither has them nor could I find anyone who will until either June or no certain date.

I went with the Rifle Basix L-1. At $149.00, it was about $25.00 more than the Timney I wanted. I agree that the Remington is a much maligned trigger, even the X-mark Pro trigger. I wanted to replace mine ((X-Mark) because it would not stay adjusted down to 2.5 lbs. It kept creeping back up to 3-4 lbs and pissed me off because it took time to return to that zone of a safe but light pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I preferred a Timney; I went looking online at Brownells and MidWay, neither has them nor could I find anyone who will until either June or no certain date.

I went with the Rifle Basix L-1. At $149.00, it was about $25.00 more than the Timney I wanted. I agree that the Remington is a much maligned trigger, even the X-mark Pro trigger. I wanted to replace mine ((X-Mark) because it would not stay adjusted down to 2.5 lbs. It kept creeping back up to 3-4 lbs and pissed me off because it took time to return to that zone of a safe but light pull. </div></div>

Did you think about going direct to the source and buying from www.timneytriggers.com?

I would go with RB as the best bang for the buck 700 trigger. According to RB when I ordered mine, their trigger is as close to old school 700 on the market. They do a better job at machining, better parts while putting it together.

I wanted a Timney but after talking to the smith for my build, he was not all that impressed with Timney and 100% changed my mind and besides, since then after using a few of them I think the shoe arc is too aggressive and I cannot get low on the trigger for leverage and this also means I do not get a straight in line with the bore pull. Opinions vary though.

But, the best trigger I ever felt was on a couple HS Precision rifles. Not sure what they do and you cannot order them.

Good luck

I just bought one of the standard shilen triggers midway has on sale right now. 1.5 pounds to 3 pounds. I hope this is a good enough trigger. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have been to the desert with my timney 4 times and I have yet to clean it, it is dirty as hell too with all the winds and sand and shit. Im going to hold off on cleaning it until it fails (if it ever does) </div></div>

May I suggest you don't wait that long.
    smile.gif

When you've removed your barreled action from your stock, spray your trigger assembly with brake cleaner. Squirt it from both sides, and in/around the areas where you can see the moving parts. Let it dry, and you're good. Lighter fluid (as in Zippo type) works good too. Neither of these products leave a residue.

Cheers from a fellow inmate of Nazzifornia. You and I are "represented" by Barbie Boxer, Diane Fineswine, and Nancy Pelosi? Right...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I wanted a Timney but after talking to the smith for my build, he was not all that impressed with Timney and 100% changed my mind and besides, since then after using a few of them I think the shoe arc is too aggressive and I cannot get low on the trigger for leverage and this also means I do not get a straight in line with the bore pull. Opinions vary though.</div></div>

Can you tell us in detail what your smith told you about the Timney that changed your mind (prior to use)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have been to the desert with my timney 4 times and I have yet to clean it, it is dirty as hell too with all the winds and sand and shit. Im going to hold off on cleaning it until it fails (if it ever does) </div></div>

May I suggest you don't wait that long.
    smile.gif

When you've removed your barreled action from your stock, spray your trigger assembly with brake cleaner. Squirt it from both sides, and in/around the areas where you can see the moving parts. Let it dry, and you're good. Lighter fluid (as in Zippo type) works good too. Neither of these products leave a residue.

Cheers from a fellow inmate of Nazzifornia. You and I are "represented" by Barbie Boxer, Diane Fineswine, and Nancy Pelosi? Right... </div></div>

Thanks for the advice Nate, I know how to clean it, I just dont want to at them moment. I want to see how dirty it needs to be in order to fail. I like using amonia free brake cleaner for this kind of cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I preferred a Timney; I went looking online at Brownells and MidWay, neither has them nor could I find anyone who will until either June or no certain date.

I went with the Rifle Basix L-1. At $149.00, it was about $25.00 more than the Timney I wanted. I agree that the Remington is a much maligned trigger, even the X-mark Pro trigger. I wanted to replace mine ((X-Mark) because it would not stay adjusted down to 2.5 lbs. It kept creeping back up to 3-4 lbs and pissed me off because it took time to return to that zone of a safe but light pull. </div></div>

Did you think about going direct to the source and buying from www.timneytriggers.com? </div></div>

I did not. I have other rifles needing better triggers and will do so next time, Thanks or sorry, whichever best applies
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I preferred a Timney; I went looking online at Brownells and MidWay, neither has them nor could I find anyone who will until either June or no certain date.

Did you think about going direct to the source and buying from www.timneytriggers.com? </div></div>

I did not. I have other rifles needing better triggers and will do so next time, Thanks or sorry, whichever best applies
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

LOL, You are welcome (I guess?
    grin.gif
    )I find it best to go direct to the source on items like that. Sure I could have saved $10-$15 buying from Brownells or Midway, but they are always out of stock it seems like. Timney has always came through for me.

It's funny you brought that up as I called Rifle Basix to ask about adjusting the trigger. They include no instruction for adjusting it down: the L-1 comes factory adjusted at 2.2 lbs and that is how i found it. But it is advertised as adjustable and damnit I want the option! So I called and spoke to a salty North Carolinian who was concerned I, 1) installed it correctly, 2) listened as he informed me that gun smith recomendations for testing the safety of a freshly adjusted trigger were crap and 3)would only walk me through the adjustment of said trigger but would not provide literature or links to do so.

Honestly, 2.2 lbs is fine for my purposes. I really wanted to upgrade to something that will stay put, which my X-Mark pro would not. 3.5 pounds is not a deal breaker mind you but the X-Mark is almost a great trigger: close but still a ways to go.

BTW, the Rifle Basix price is the same as Midway's price. Honestly, I'd have bought the Timney had I known I could get it directly.

Well that sucks, its adjustable yet they dont want to give you writen instructions on how to adjust it? Whisky Tango Foxtrot???!!!

Well, now you know so give Timney a try next time and write a review comparing the 2 triggers. Since I'll never own a trigger other than Timney, I would not be able to do a side by side.

Rifle Basix works great and if you're willing to do a little work, the X-Mark trigger is a good second choice.

I got creeped out by the X-mark after completing my recent bedding project. I didn't know at the time that the trigger mounting pins were staked in to the reciever. So it is possible reinserting them while reinstalling the trigger (X-Mark), I should have checked the pins for burrs or scars. The pins are supposed to be a loose fit on the trigger housing. In any case, when I tried to adjust the X-Mark I'd get it to as light as I dared, around 2.5 lbs, throw the bolt, butt the stock to the floor and flick the safety on an off, etc., as safety tests. I'd complete reassembley and work the bolt and the firing pin would release! Back to square one: disassemble, reset trigger adjustmment, etc.

Anyway the lowest I could safely get it was around 3.5 lbs. I use the RCBS trigger guage.

Now I was previously able to get this trigger down to 2.5 lbs , safely. So I assumed I fucked it up or there was some cruel mojo since my bedding work semed to otherwise come out PDG!

I figured the safest course was to buy a new trigger and the RB was the fastest I could obtain, or so I thought until USMCJ alerted me to my obtuseness!

Anyway, they're willing to help me adjust it down, and once they tell me the secret. I'll always know
    laugh.gif

But the codger was rather insistent that it was pretty damn hard for most people to tell the difference between 2.2 lbs and 1.5! And he has a point, to a point!

I figured I'd shoot it a bit before I called them back. I went out yesterday and found the rifle was indeed shooting nicely.

I think I'll live with it at 2.2 lbs. That is no impediment to my lame shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    But the codger was rather insistent that it was pretty damn hard for most people to tell the difference between 2.2 lbs and 1.5! And he has a point, to a point!</div></div>

2.2 lbs is half again as much as 1.5 lbs.

Can I tell the difference when a trigger requires 50% greater pull weight? Hell yes.

I can tell the difference, easily, between a 6 ounce Anschutz, 12 ounce Barnard, one pound Jewell, 1.5 pound Anschutz, and 2 pound Rem 700.

Codger ought to consider that the customer gets to decide what the customer wants, not the codger's crusty views being imposed.

Should of heard how "emphatic" he was when I informed him of my safety test protocol!

I find geting into arguments with "experts" has diminishing returns the longer they go. So I will shoot it and adjust it as it suits me. I can tell the difference between 2.5 and 3.0 lbs, hence the purchase of the new trigger.

But I am no expert and will transition down to sub two pounds in due course!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should of heard how "emphatic" he was when I informed him of my safety test protocol!

I find geting into arguments with "experts" has diminishing returns the longer they go. So I will shoot it and adjust it as it suits me. I can tell the difference between 2.5 and 3.0 lbs, hence the purchase of the new trigger.

But I am no expert and will transition down to sub two pounds in due course!
    </div></div>

Timney advertises their trigger as 1.5 pounds on the lightest side, so thats the lowest they will adjust it down to at the factory. When I got it I further adjusted the trigger down to about .75 pounds and it is really nice. I did all of the safety tests and it passed.

Can I tell the difference between .75 and 1.5 pounds, hell ya!