• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

best 800 - 1000 yard rifle

keithy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
UK
im looking to buy a new rifle that wil have the range to shoot around the 800 to 1000 yards with good accuracy and was wonderin wat sights would be good to mount on them, was wondering wat you guys have and what you's want to buy?

Re: best 800 - 1000 yard rifle

I'll be nice..

Go read lots and lots on this forum and then think if you need the best rifle in the world to go do what you're asking.

im not saying i need the best im sayin i want 1 that isnt goin to be a waste of money, when im buyin a gun i want to get the best for my money obviously, if you arent goin to be of any help dont bother leaving a comment......

do you have a range that you can shoot 1000 ALL THE TIME?

.308 will make 1k

The question is what are you going to be doing with the rifle?

it wil be for range shooting and i have access to a range upto 1500 yards (at an army training barracks) the guy that organises use to use it is getting me into the long range shootin, and ive shoot with his gun a few times and i realy like the challange of the distance

how often have you been out to 1000 yards?

I have the west desert or Nevada......

I spend less than 5% of my time above 800 yards.

and you better be damn good.

1000 yards has 25' or drop with standard 118LR ammo.

and dont even begin on wind.

So far the only chance i had to shoot at 1000k turned out great.I had a ecellent group.......m.o.b.
MINUTE OF BARN...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not saying i need the best im sayin i want 1 that isnt goin to be a waste of money, when im buyin a gun i want to get the best for my money obviously, if you arent goin to be of any help dont bother leaving a comment...... </div></div>

I did help you. I told you to go read around on here. Hashing and rehashing the same thing (contrary to popular belief on the 308 vs. 30-06 debate, match bullets on game, etc) is generally pointless. The search button exists for a reason.

Your question shows up about once a week. Search/read would have shown you that.

get a Remington 700 SPS in 308. Upgrade the stock, have a gunsmith work the trigger, put a super sniper on it, and shoot the shit out of it.

Once you have done that, you will be able to answer your own original question.

P.S. you can buy all that stuff in the For Sale Section used at a good discount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a Remington 700 SPS in 308. Upgrade the stock, have a gunsmith work the trigger, put a super sniper on it, and shoot the shit out of it.

P.S. you can buy all that stuff in the For Sale Section used at a good discount. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a Remington 700 SPS in 308. Upgrade the stock, have a gunsmith work the trigger, put a super sniper on it, and shoot the shit out of it.

P.S. you can buy all that stuff in the For Sale Section used at a good discount. </div></div>

That's basically what I did. I bought a new .308 SPS-V and had it pillar bedded into a McM A-5 from JW, mounted a Badger 20 MOA rail and Leupy VX-III 20x50 and used it for my 1st year of F-class (just to see if it was any fun). With 175SMKs and 44.0g of Varget it made it to 1,000 but only with 37 minutes dialed in. Ouch!

Needsless to say, as of three weeks ago the SPS now belongs to another happy hide member. I'm using the money from it to pick up a NF NXS 32x56 tomorrow morning. McMillan shipped my new adl A-2 stock to GAP last week. I'm expecting my new stainless steel Templar single shot with RB/LP in .308 and a 29" #9 1/11.25 Bartlein soon.

I can't wait for next season!

A Remy 700 SPS, PSS, or XCR will do the job very well. 308 ammo are more readily avail and moderately economical.

7wsm, 300wsm, 284win, 300 ultra, 300win, 243win, 338 edge, 6.5x284 win, 6.5x47 lapua, 6x47lapua, 6x284, 338 lapua, 338 ultra, 375 cheytac, 408 cheytac, 6.5wsm, 7mm saum. That's just off the top of my head.

To ask what is believed to be the best 800-1000yd cartridge is like asking what color is the best color. I'm not trying to be sarcastic but look at what cartridges are winning the 1000yd comps and you will find a lot of everything. Most of the time it comes down to who has the best reloading practices, wind skills, and who was lucky enough to get that one great barrel. Most BR guys will tell you they change barrels everytime they get 300 bucks looking for that one great barrel. Intended purpose means everything in your case. If money is not an issue get a 338 lapua. It will be easy to dope wind for, great factory ammo, and is a precise cartridge. Do you reload? Is money an issue? Are you recoil sensitive? Are you planning to shoot game with it? How often do you shoot 800-1000yds? Answers to these questions will help narrow down your needs. Most of these guys spend a lot of time on this forum and get tired of answering the same questions 1000 times, it gets a little frustrating when a newbie walks in and wants the easy answers. Spend some time doing research. (Then go buy a 7wsm and shoot the crap out of it
smile.gif
)

I shoot pretty often at 600 yards in our club matches and do fairly well. In "F" class, I shoot "Master" and Sharpshooter in Service rifle (iron sights and no rest) prone. Bonnie and I shoot at 600 and our Houston friends shoot both the 600 and the 1000 yards so I might be able to assist you.

Out to 600, it's all about bullets. It's not too hard to keep the 30 calibers above supersonic and the .223's do pretty well, too. I use 168 gr Match Kings in 30 caliber and 69 grain Match Kings for 223 in my handloads. Most factory ammo is a joke at 600. At 1000, there is no other option...... handloads

My favorite class is service rifle at 600 with M1A or AR-15. Sometimes, I shoot a match rifle in .308 on an 03 Springfield action.

At 1000, my friends advise me that the .308 does well. The Holy Grail for many is the 300 Win Mag. The rifles will reach out at 1K but the barrel life is very short....something like 1000 rounds.

Mirage is frustrating at 600 but at 1k, the target is doing the jitterbug. Successful shooters at 1K are good at reading the mirage and the wind. I do it fairly well but the great shooters get the rhythm of the mirage and can anticipate the next gyration and roll of the wind.

The guys were little tough on you but they really told the truth. You just need experience at long range. "Shoot the shit out of it" is pretty good advice.

I try to encourage guys to try new things so have at it! The best way to do it is to get out there and try!

Flash

I you have to ask, get a 308, and a 10X Super Sniper. That'll get you started in good stead.

After you've shot LR for a while you will form your own opinions about how you may want to go about improving your game.

wel i have the change to shoot at 1000 yards about 2/3 times a week and i get the ammo from the army barracks the make them up themselves to train army snipers and they are very persise at the measuring of everythin, 1 of the guyis in the barracks is a sniper in the army and he grouped 10 shoots in about a 3" diameter from 800 yards when i was watchin him, from da 800 yards im in around the 10"/12" groupage.

thanks for the comments neway lads its a great help

I'm confused. You have the chance to shoot the distance you are asking about several times a week, have military grade sniper ammo, shoot with snipers, have no grammatical skills whatsoever and have neglected to fill out a profile. Yet you have the balls to come here and chastise any potential poster that may not offer what your opinion of "help" is. Congratulations on a good start kid.

i know im new to post here also
but in my opinion this is the best advise posted in this thread for you
its all about trigger time

i have the facilities and have access to the ammo but im hardly gonna walk in and reach for a mans sniper rifle, they train with "the long" (L115A3) which can go out beyond a mile and costs ruffly £23,000 which is a rediculous amount of money for range gun do u not think?, im askin for ur opinons on a gd rifle for range shooting 800 - 1000 yards and thanks to the guys that commented about the topic

Perhaps if you introduced yourself and your location your welcome would have been a little warmer. Providing as much info to the people here that can help you leaves less fuel for criticism. I'm guessing you are in England and certainly don't expect you to purchase a $38,000 dollar rifle system to punch holes through paper. Tread lightly here until you have established yourself and many will go out of there way to help.

To answer your original question, what kind of budget do you have? The Remington SPS that was recommended to you is great if you have access to getting one, if its within your budget a Sako TRG-22 is ready to roll right out of the box. There are plenty of rifles in the for sale section here that will work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I you have to ask, get a 308, and a 10X Super Sniper. That'll get you started in good stead.

After you've shot LR for a while you will form your own opinions about how you may want to go about improving your game.</div></div>

By far the best advice given.

Bone stock PSS or M70 Stealth with a decent scope, and about 5K rounds of ammo. THEN you can form your own opinion, and you'll be a great shot.

yea i was looking at a black Sako TRG-22 today for £1250 need scopes and a bipod then loved the feel of the gun and the looks

In my opinion if you had to ask what to get for 800-1000 yard shooting, you shouldn't be shooting that far yet.(I AM NOT TRYING TO BASH YOU HERE JUST GIVING GOOD ADVICE) Get a Rem 700, in or .308 or .300 win mag, start off at a shorter distance 100-300, then shoot shoot shoot, get comfortable with that and work your way out to further distances, and that Rem 700 you got will be ok for 800-100

im shootin upto 300 wit a CZ 452-2E ZKM LUX (.22lr) with a set of hawk nite-eye 3-10x44 sights on it, and groupin around an inch circle or so i have the odd flyers just like every1 else lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im shootin upto 300 wit a CZ 452-2E ZKM LUX (.22lr) with a set of hawk nite-eye 3-10x44 sights on it, and groupin around an inch circle or so i have the odd flyers just like every1 else lol </div></div>

300 what? Inches. SPM

Keithy,

Welcome to the Hide!

Cartridge: Go with the .308 Winchester and accept no substitutes! The .308 winchester is widely available around the world and is widely used and accepted as a great target / precision shooting cartridge. Lots of good practice ammo available at very fair prices and match quality ammo is available straight from the factory. For non-reloaders, this is a very big plus.

( http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html )

Rifles: The Remington 700, Savage Tactical or the Howa 1500 (all must have <span style="font-weight: bold">HEAVY</span> barrels) will as serve you well. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Howa 1500 Heavy barrel because the action is so well made and feature rich straight from the factory. The barrels on these are very good as well.

( http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_varmsup.html )

Scope: A great starter scope is the Super Sniper series. If I had the money, I'd get either the Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP or the 10x42 HD model. The Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP is being sold as a package deal now and it comes with all the accessories you need to get started.

( http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Packaged-Deal-P44104.aspx )

Iron sights: If you're talking iron sights, the old Lyman, Redfield, Parker Hale, or newer Warner, Phoenix Precision and Sako iron sights are very well received.

( http://iowahighpower.com/HPEG/foresights.htm )

( http://iowahighpower.com/HPEG/rearsights.htm )

Hope this helps.

300 inches, have a bita gumption 300 yards....

the Remington 700 seems to be poopin up alot ere, must read up on a few reveiws and stuff and read into it more

Let me get this straight. You're shooting 1" groups at 300 yards with a 22LR?

What the hell is up with newbs here lately?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me get this straight. You're shooting 1" groups at 300 yards with a 22LR?

What the hell is up with newbs here lately? </div></div>

I breifly find myself questioning, where the hell do these people come from?

Then I think back to that time when I used to go to local gunshops, gunshows and shooting at known public ranges and think... oh yeah all around me.

laugh.gif

Gentleman, we're surrounded by stupid and we're the only ones equipped to win this battle. One mind at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 inches, have a bita gumption 300 yards....

the Remington 700 seems to be poopin up alot ere, must read up on a few reveiws and stuff and read into it more </div></div>

I got your gumption right here. SPM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 inches, have a bita gumption 300 yards....

the Remington 700 seems to be poopin up alot ere, must read up on a few reveiws and stuff and read into it more </div></div>

Very simple Remington 700 in .308 and a SS scope.

Crawl before you walk.

Walk before you run.

Based on what you have said to date you are just beginning.

Again Remington 700 .308
SS Scope.
alot (I mean ALOT) of time and ammo downrange and about 10x that dry firing.

get a custom barrel and chamber it to 6mmDasher,,, shoot the heavies - 105 through 108's. Review 1000 yard benchrest and 600 yard benchrest results. dasher dominates along with the big 30's.

Agree. 6mmbr works also. I just won a 1000 yard match yesterday with a 6mmBR. Out shot all the magums and 50 calibers in wind with 30 mph gusts. 2nd place was a 243 shooting 115's. 308 would not be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Copper91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a custom barrel and chamber it to 6mmDasher,,, shoot the heavies - 105 through 108's. Review 1000 yard benchrest and 600 yard benchrest results. dasher dominates along with the big 30's. </div></div>

Did I miss something in this thread somewhere? 308 might not be the choice for you guys for winning 1000 yard matches but shouldn't he learn the sport before worrying about having a custom rifle built to shoot ammo we don't even know that he has the ability to reload? I have to disagree on caliber choice here guys, buy a used 308 with a few thousand rds and learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I miss something in this thread somewhere? 308 might not be the choice for you guys for winning 1000 yard matches but shouldn't he learn the sport before worrying about having a custom rifle built to shoot ammo we don't even know that he has the ability to reload? I have to disagree on caliber choice here guys, buy a used 308 with a few thousand rds and learn.</div></div>

see here

P.S. you can buy all that stuff in the For Sale Section used at a good discount.</div></div>

buy an sks sniper rifle with a mildot ninja scope and a purple laser beam with coriolis compensator device.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy an sks sniper rifle with a mildot ninja scope and a purple laser beam with coriolis compensator device. </div></div>

+1

Shooter,

How many shooting schools use anything in 6mm to teach people how to shoot? I have no question about your ability but "any caliber", not everyone shares your experience or range time. Suggesting an match caliber with limited ammo availabilty seems a bit pretentious to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keithy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im shootin upto 300 wit a CZ 452-2E ZKM LUX (.22lr) with a set of hawk nite-eye 3-10x44 sights on it, and groupin around an inch circle or so i have the odd flyers just like every1 else lol </div></div>

Why look for a rifle!! your shooting 1"groups (1/3moa) with a 22lr at 300 yards. Just shoot your CZ..with your skill you should be sub MOA at 1000.

The best I have ever done in my life with a .22 is 3 out of 5 rounds into a sprite can @ 273 yards and that's through a H&R 5200 14LB target rifle with my 8-32 NF on it from a bench.
wind was 0 temp was 80's alt 1400'

OHH and 6 people watched me do it!

The man asked a question about an accurate caliber for 800-1000 yards. I merely gave my opinion. I just have never found any love for the 308 or think it is a good 800-1000 yard rifle.

Plus it only costs me 46 cents to reload for the 6mmBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooter,

How many shooting schools use anything in 6mm to teach people how to shoot? I have no question about your ability but "any caliber", not everyone shares your experience or range time. Suggesting an match caliber with limited ammo availabilty seems a bit pretentious to me. </div></div>

wow, 40+ posts and counting....on this very boring subject....with an OP who is probably 15....doh.

I re-read the entire thread and feel that I might have advised the new shooter poorly. What I said is correct about long distance shooting but it is WAY too soon to do that!

Get your .22 and shoot bugholes at 50 yards. Fire a round and use that bullet hole as the target. When you get good at that, move to 100 yards. I'd switch to a 17HMR and do the same at 200 yards. When you shoot a perfect match at 200, you are ready to stretch it out and deal with mirage and wind.

Sorry but you are trying to skip too many steps in the learning process.

Flash