• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best Action and why?

jdm911

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2018
If money was not an issue, what action would you buy and why? I already know you guys are going to say it's preference, but i want to know what most of you guys lean with. It would be in a 6.5 CM and used at PRS competitions. Lets see what you guys think.

Given your 'if'..........send me the money and I'll buy an AI. Don't have one but want one.

My reasons? Easily adjustable ergo's, two stage trigger (now with two options of those), military track record, easy to change barrels with the MC, outstanding accuracy.

I have a Mausingfield that I absolutely enjoy; I recommend it to all. Unique engineering and features, built to last.

If I was going R700 footprint, probably a Mausingfield or an Impact depending on preferences. Otherwise an AI.

Reactions: jdm911
AI, for all the reasons enumerated here many times over, but for me, especially because of the inherent reliability.

This stupid topic and similar ones like it should be locked up by mods just based on principle alone. If this is all you jocks got to do then learn how to fly a plane or at least jump out of one. I'll rig the pack up for you. Don't worry.

This stupid topic and similar ones like it should be locked up by mods just based on principle alone. If this is all you jocks got to do then learn how to fly a plane or at least jump out of one. I'll rig the pack up for you. Don't worry.

If you don't like discussing gun stuff, why are you here? What you think of as a stupid question is a big deal to a guy with limited experience looking to spend a lot of money.

Gotta love the kill joys and or trolls that make everyone feel bad for asking a question. This is what is wrong with people today....the do not care about other people just getting there own mad, poor, opinion across to make other people feel bad so they feel better.

Ignore anyone who gets worked up over an innocent question.

As for the question, I have used lots of actions. Tikkas, 700s, Defiance, Curtis, Bighorn, Bergara, Ruger RPRs, a Lone Peak and an Impact Precision.
My favorites: Lone Peak Fuzion and the Impact Precision 737. It's not even close haha.
Unless you want a specific feature that is offered by the other actions, the Impacts and Lone Peaks are THE SMOOTHEST and least "bindy" actions ive ever cycled, and come with perks: Lone Peak will soon allow for "off the shelf" barrel purchases, Impact already offers this, both are rugged and have a great track record, and both have excellent customer service. This is all just my own personal experience though. Everyone has their own favorites.
Best way to choose is to go to a local match and feel em out for yourself! I didnt find the right action until i tried them all myself, and I wish i did that a lot sooner!

Last edited:
Impact 737 it is the smoothest action I have ever had, feed great, ejection is awesome (even in Dasher), runs like butta and is built like a tank. I do have a Big Horn and have had a Defiance both great actions but I prefer the Impact from the Boys in Oklahoma.

Would you say the action is smoother than Sako?

I wouldnt say smoother as much as Id say the bolt lift is so much easier. Smoothness they feel about the same to me. But i only held a Sako, never fired one. Lots of tikka though.

I wouldnt say smoother as much as Id say the bolt lift is so much easier. Smoothness they feel about the same to me. But i only held a Sako, never fired one. Lots of tikka though.

Appreciate the feedback. Picked up a Sako years ago and haven’t been able to get away from them since. Out of the box best bolt guns I have owned.

This is the same guy that has friends, but when he leaves they all talk about how annoying he is.

Thank you guys for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Some people forget what it's like to be the new guy. Just recently sparked an interest in the community and I am going to be building a rifle.

About the only action I haven’t run or owned is a mausingfield. If money were no option, I’d get an AI as they just flat out run. But I prefer all the 700 capability of most custom actions.

For a 700, I’d also go Impact. I literally cannot make the bolt bind, no matter what angle I push from. It gets close, but then will just release and cycle.

I have/had defiance, Bighorn, Surgeon, etc etc, and I can always force them to bind enough I have to change the angle I’m pushing to get them to cycle. Now......keep in mind, you’ll never try to cycle an action with some weird angle, but in torture testing them, I try. They all run great, but the impact runs just a slight bit better.

Obviously the AI runs perfect because of the design as well.

Reactions: burkmanfox
Raised on R700 actions, the Stiller Tac30aw was my first and second custom action I purchased. I haven't seen a reason to go elsewhere. If I were to utilize more of the remage nut systems I'd look seriously at an action with a integral recoil lug.

I recently got the GAP Tempest thats built by Horizon, so far I like it. Short throw and very fast with the Nitrided finish.

I wish there was a place to go where you could run them all as I recently went through the same process.......what to get. I was able to run a couple different ones that guys had at the range. In the end I had read about and always wanted the Tempest for some reason and went with it.

Money is an object - Tikka
Money is not an object - AI
Both are stupidly reliable, smooth, and very refined.

Or you might wind up with both, a bunch of AIs and then find that the Tikka T3x / T3x CTR makes a perfect car / truck / hunting gun to compliment your ultimate end of the world proof AI guns.

Impact and Lone Peak have been getting a lot of praise lately.

I don't have any plans to compete, just wanted a nice bolt action. I went with the Bighorn Origin. The fact that I can get a .223, standard and magnum bolt face at a reasonable price was what sold me.

Reactions: Bmaier69
So there you have it OP, seems about every custom tactical action was named.

Just goes to show that people value and prefer different features, there is no standout absolute #1 best action. Lots of great options out there based on the specific feature set you desire. Plus I would say that there's a bit of confirmation bias, as everyone wants to believe that the action they currently own is the best one out there. Actions are very subjective. And in some geographical areas, you will see some actions more popular than others based on what the local gunsmiths prefer/push, what the local sponsored shooters push, etc.

Pick the features you desire most, and then select from the many great tier #1 custom actions out there. You will have to try actions in person to see what features you prefer, and the more you try out, the better idea you will have of what is out there. Reading people's opinions on the internet will get you about 10% of the way there.

Case in point, I bought a TL3 for the wife based off of the features and how highly people spoke of that action. Got it in our hands, and it turns out that we both really dislike that action and how it feels. Very sloppy bolt, with lots of bolt bind. For others, this action checks all the boxes for them. Only way to know is to get your hands on some actions. For some, this may mean buying and selling actions over a few years to find one you like - my rifles have been in constant evolution. for

Just goes to show that people value and prefer different features, there is no standout absolute #1 best action. Lots of great options out there based on the specific feature set you desire. Plus I would say that there's a bit of confirmation bias, as everyone wants to believe that the action they currently own is the best one out there. Actions are very subjective. And in some geographical areas, you will see some actions more popular than others based on what the local gunsmiths prefer/push, what the local sponsored shooters push, etc.

Pick the features you desire most, and then select from the many great tier #1 custom actions out there. You will have to try actions in person to see what features you prefer, and the more you try out, the better idea you will have of what is out there. Reading people's opinions on the internet will get you about 10% of the way there.

Case in point, I bought a TL3 for the wife based off of the features and how highly people spoke of that action. Got it in our hands, and it turns out that we both really dislike that action and how it feels. Very sloppy bolt, with lots of bolt bind. For others, this action checks all the boxes for them. Only way to know is to get your hands on some actions. For some, this may mean buying and selling actions over a few years to find one you like - my rifles have been in constant evolution. for

^ This x10.
Pretty much my same experience. Try to find people near you who have the action youre interested in, ask them questions, feel the gun out if you can, it saves you the hassle of having to buy it, wait for it, then sell it if you end up not liking it. Figure out what you want most in an action so you can narrow it down.
Local matches are the number 1 spot to check out guns as long as the competitors are willing to let you get handsy (most people are happy to let you check their gun out). I only wish someone was there to tell me that before i started spending money lol.

Be friendly, ask questions, get to know your local competitors, let them know what youre looking for, have fun scoping out the venue and get integrated in your local shooting community while youre at it.
First time I went to a PRS style match, I had no gun and had no intention of shooting, i was just there to check out what builds people were using. Long story short, I got to handle like 10 different guns, and everyone wanted me to shoot their rifle and look down their scope (two of them were practically throwing their gun at me lol). They gave me a spotting scope to watch the competition through, and talked me through all my questions. They couldnt be friendlier and I couldnt be happier.
The same day, I ordered a Lone Peak and then an Impact Precision action.

Last edited:
AI AT. Restricted to .308win parent cartridges but the user barrel change ease is a plus. I run a 16" barrel, to reduce weight, that goes out into the field on hunts and run longer tubes for long range work. It's been dead nuts reliable and worth every penny. They come up used/new here on the hide for decent prices and some of the vendors here offer hide, and or Mil/LEO, pricing on the rifles. I'd also consider an MRAD for the ultimate caliber choice platform but they're beasts and even the 17" .308 is hefty for shoot move stuff. Plus is you can spend just over a grand and be in .338 lapua land not to mention many other caliber choices.

^ This x10.
Pretty much my same experience. Try to find people near you who have the action youre interested in, ask them questions, feel the gun out if you can, it saves you the hassle of having to buy it, wait for it, then sell it if you end up not liking it. Figure out what you want most in an action so you can narrow it down.
Local matches are the number 1 spot to check out guns as long as the competitors are willing to let you get handsy (most people are happy to let you check their gun out). I only wish someone was there to tell me that before i started spending money lol.

Be friendly, ask questions, get to know your local competitors, let them know what youre looking for, have fun scoping out the venue and get integrated in your local shooting community while youre at it.
First time I went to a PRS style match, I had no gun and had no intention of shooting, i was just there to check out what builds people were using. Long story short, I got to handle like 10 different guns, and everyone wanted me to shoot their rifle and look down their scope (two of them were practically throwing their gun at me lol). They gave me a spotting scope to watch the competition through, and talked me through all my questions. They couldnt be friendlier and I couldnt be happier.
The same day, I ordered a Lone Peak and then an Impact Precision action.

That's BS the internet said PRS guys are snobs and gear elitists obsessed with keeping up with the Jones. That kind of person would never be out going helpful and friendly. You must be lying.

Reactions: SuperSneakySniper
ive put my hands on quite a few actions and owned a handful of different ones, and the only one ive had i wouldnt sell at the drop of a hat is my AI

my impact is a semi-close 2nd, and i like the bighorns behind that (i love the bighorn feel, but dont really like how easily the bolt can bind with angled pressure on the bolt handle), but if it came down to a choice between the 3...i wouldnt lose any sleep picking the AI

Contrary to the numerous posts above this is not some innocent question from a newbie. It is either another “latest and greatest” wannabe who has more money than sense or a DB who will cyber build the perfect rifle, yet never step up from a Barska equipped cheapo AR. No real shooters start with an AI. Don’t worry, we still encourage the former as they provide the classifieds with a steady stream of hardly used AIs, customs and SBs at great prices!

Money-as-no-object... I'd call Jim Borden, and I'd fly out to his shop, and we'd talk over everything I ever wanted in an action, he'd tell me I was wrong or right on some things, and then we'd come to the ultimate arrangement.

He'd then make it, put the best work of Wisconsin on the front, and I'd hand over a stack of $1,000 straps to take ownership.

Recently went through building a rifle and had little to no experience with custom actions as well. Money wasn't really an object, and after cycling many different actions I decided to go with a cerakoted Surgeon 591. It has the M16 Extractor. It's basically a perfected Remington 700 action and It runs flawlessly.

The gunsmith had them in stock and at the time of my decision, the TL3 wasn't out yet and Impact was unheard of. I looked at Defiance, and while they are beautiful, I just didn't want one for a hunting/comp gun. I'd certainly look at Impact now. Ran beside a guy at my last match and it looked and felt very nice.

Nat,
I have a few Borden actions. They are amazing but most run on the tight side for tactical. No doubt Jim could make one do anything you want.
I have a 20 TAC on a Borden action GreTan build. It is stunning accurate. A 20 shot group is not far larger than a 5 shot group. It just keeps on putting them in the same hole.

Reactions: natdscott
AI AT. Restricted to .308win parent cartridges but the user barrel change ease is a plus. I run a 16" barrel, to reduce weight, that goes out into the field on hunts and run longer tubes for long range work. It's been dead nuts reliable and worth every penny. They come up used/new here on the hide for decent prices and some of the vendors here offer hide, and or Mil/LEO, pricing on the rifles. I'd also consider an MRAD for the ultimate caliber choice platform but they're beasts and even the 17" .308 is hefty for shoot move stuff. Plus is you can spend just over a grand and be in .338 lapua land not to mention many other caliber choices.
What's the twist rate on your 17" .308?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who did this with a TL3. Waiting and drooled over it, got it in, and didn’t like the “slop” in the bolt.

As you said though, to others this feel is what they are looking for.

Contrary to the numerous posts above this is not some innocent question from a newbie. It is either another “latest and greatest” wannabe who has more money than sense or a DB who will cyber build the perfect rifle, yet never step up from a Barska equipped cheapo AR. No real shooters start with an AI. Don’t worry, we still encourage the former as they provide the classifieds with a steady stream of hardly used AIs, customs and SBs at great prices!

I understand where you're coming from, but I doubt that is the case here. The OP also posted a question in the equipment section regarding if he (as a newcoming PRS competitor) should purchase a magneetospeed chronograph if he only plans to shoot factory ammo.
I doubt a "cyber builder" would also consider buying a "cyber chronograph" for his "cyber velocity" readings. :LOL:

As for the "having more money than sense", same could be said about anyone willing to drop $3000+ on a bolt gun. We're all insane. I won't judge. ;)

I believe he is genuinely interested in starting out, and am glad to see people helping him out. I sure needed help when I started!

jesus-you-are-a-fucking-idiot.jpg

Reactions: Rick7353

Sorry never spent time over a Sako...I cannot say if it is better or worse....the one thing I do know is you will limit yourself to the custom option with a Sako there are so many mods and chassis's for a R700 clone

For me the Impact has been the nicest action I've ever felt and from those shooters I know running them the reliability has been top notch.

With that being said I'm in the camp of when you get to looking and handling all of the custom actions being made today you'd be hard pressed to find one that would hold you back. After doing a ton of research from what I wanted in my next action I went with the new kelbly Black Bear action as it checked every single box for me short of being widely supported by chassis/stock manufacturers. ( Masterpiece will be having one available soon for it, XLR has it available if you call them as well as manners/McMillan).

It truely is personal preference

Sounds to me like you're jealous of people that have some extra cash in their pocket. You probably talk shit about any guy that has worked hard to afford a nice car as well. What happened in these peoples lives that are taking jabs at me. Did their mother not love them enough?

Listen, I am a "Newbie." I know myself and I know that I want to compete and I know when I learn all the ins and outs i'm going to be damn good too. I know i'm going to have to put a lot of time and effort into learning this craft. I also know that if i bought a cheaper rifle, I would want something better sooner than later. So instead of buying a cheaper rifle, I'm going to invest in one rifle and do my best to learn this craft. I know how I am and I will not stop learning until i'm very good. I'm a very competitive person, so i'm investing now. Is that so hard for someone to understand? What is it about my question that bothers you lame guys so much? I just see a bunch of haters that have mental issues.

I really thought i wanted one of the new super actions but after getting behind my AIAT again I’m good. I just spun a 6.5CM barrel on it and it’s been a blast the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh and jdm911