• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best "affordable" press for 338 lm

onajoyride

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Farragut, TN
I looked around and I have come up with a few options but I was just checking with you guys to get an opinion. I am looking for an affordable single stage press for 338 lapua magnum. I was looking at the redding big boss 2 and was prob going that route unless someone else has a better idea. Also on the type S dies what sizes should I order for the bushings. I know I have to load a round then measure but I was just hoping to buy once instead of loading a few rounds and then having to pay shipping again after the initial purchase of the press and dies.

Re: Best "affordable" press for 338 lm

I use my rock chuckar supreme with no problems. I have bushings between .365 and .369. if you buy wilson bushings you can flip them upside down for half sizes

How long have you been reloading?

Been loading for 6 years. My dillon 650 won't do 338 lm so that's why I'm looking for another press. Thanks for the tip on the bushings

The newer RCBS will work, I've had great luck with Redding. The "S" dies are good, don't overlook the standard Forester set. I have both and end up using the standard Forester FL die - little run out.

Hard to go wrong with the T7 or any of the Redding presses.

I like my RockChucker Supreme, and its pretty reasonable too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm shooting the same brass in the same gun then the bushing type neck size only is the best option. It works the brass the minimal amount and keeps the brass "fire formed" to your chamber thus making it more accurate right. At least that's my understanding and why I'm want to stay away from full length sizing. Or will I need to full length size every third it fourth round? In my other bolt guns 270 win and below I always full length size but that's cause brass wasn't 3 bucks a pop.

Lee Classic Cast O-frame press.

Made in America, from American railroad rails, on American made CNC machinery.

It will handle the 50BMG, FWIW.

For about ~$100-$110, what's not to like?

Chris

my set up for my 338 is a redding type s neck die, a redding body die and i use either a forster benchrest seater or a wilson hand die seater

Another option is to use a full length sizing die and set it up to bump your shoulder however much you would like then put a few machine bushings under the die to only partial size. I believe redding makes a spacers to do this as well