• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best all around progressive

match308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2005
DFW Tx
Need opinions on what I should get for a progressive press. Looking to load 6.5 Grendel, 45acp, .223. Any press out there that you know of capable of a quick swap to change caliber and do them all? Thanks

Re: Best all around progressive

The hotter women prefer their men to reload on Dillon progressives!
laugh.gif

They'll even send you provocatively posed pictures of themselves each month once you succumb to their allure!

It's possible there are other views on the matter...

Good luck

Thanks queequeg. The RL550B is the one I'm looking at.

That is what I use as well. If you search you'll find this is an often asked and answered post theme. At least once a week! But the info is vast. Search a bit and you may find suggestions regarding the Hornady, RCBS or LEE offerings, not to mention the various turret presses! It's a common subject.

Just getting started or an old single stage hand?

I will still use a Co-ax for match level and a Lee Pro-1000 for 45acp, but the Lee has to go. I'm tired of having to rig it to make it work, and the shell plate swap to switch to other calibers is retarded.Thanks q.

Dillon. I personally use the 550 for 9mm, 40s&W, 45, and 223. Easy to change over and Dillon customer service is hard to beat. Any of the Dillon machines would do you good.

Been eyeing the Hornady LNL AP. Its the second or third revision of the press which I hear fixed a case ejection problem from older versions. Its comparable to a Dillon XL650 but its less expensive. However , the XL650 comes with a case feeder, the Hornady does not. Pick your poison, you can't make a bad choice.

My wife likes my Dillon 550. I spend a LOT less time in the reloading room now.

I've never used the Hornady, but I do have a Lee Loadmaster sitting in a box. Comparing the Lee to the Dillon is like comparing a Yugo to a Jag.

_PHD5690.jpg

Precision stuff is for the Co-Ax, all the other ammo, goes on the Dillon.

I ended up with Hornady Lock n Load AP, suits my purposes a little more than Dillon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any press out there that you know of capable of a quick swap to change caliber and do them all? Thanks.</div></div>
Both Hornady and Dillon require redundant equipment for quick changeover. A Dillon kit runs $90 and includes a new powder measure. The Hornady requires a lower assembly for their case-activated powder drop; it costs $15. Hornady also has powder-thru belling dies at $9 each.

Investigate both of these products carefully to determine which is more suitable for you. You won't find much negative about either on.

I still use my RCBS RockChucker for several things. But my Dillon 650 does most of my 45 & 223. I'm hoping 308 is next down the road.

I have had a Dillon 650 for years. I load just .45 ACP on it. Works great. Definitely recommend. At IPSC matches I go to everyone recommends and uses Dillon.

I have a Dillon 550 personally. The guy who sold it to me (the press itself is probably older than I am) decided to switch to a Hornady.

The Hornady, from what I understand, has a much more accurate powder measure. I love my Dillon and it has got a LOT of use, but Dillon's powder measure is a piece of shit.

If I had it to do all over again, I would consider buying the Hornady. The Dillon would really be the perfect press if not for its shitty linear powder measure. From what I understand, others use a rotary style.

So, the lower changeover cost made him decide on the Hornady, right?

I highly doubt that. I bought the stuff for pennies on the dollar compared to what he paid for it. He sold me a bunch of conversion kits with the press.

You can have the best of both worlds, such as it is: get a RCBS Uniflow w/ a RCBS case-activated powder die, or a Hornady LnL powder measure w/ a Hornady CAPD - they work just dandy on a 550. I don't know about the Hornady, but the RCBS version has a pretty strong return spring - definitely returns the drum to battery w/ some 'snap'... actually gives slightly better (more consistent) throws than I can do by hand w/ the same measure...

I have a 550 set up for several different calibers (rifle) and now I'm looking to add 9mm to the mix. I also have a LnL AP, set up strictly for bulk .223 Rem - found one for sale used at a good (fair) price. As much as I do like a lot of things about the LnL AP... the fact that even before the mass rush on reloading components following the election of the Obamessiah... it seemed like I could never find any one place that had all the pieces/parts I needed for conversions in stock. Something was *always* out of stock. Now, with everybody and their brother getting into reloading... no chance. Other than bulk (couple five gallon buckets worth) .223 getting really, really tedious, the 550 worked just fine (still don't like the 'shits where it eats' primer system, though). The primer-crud containment of the LnL AP is almost worth it in and of itself.

YMMV,

Monte

For pistol, and depending on budget and space, consider a Square Deal B. I have a 550B, SDB and a Rock Chucker. Each has its place.

The SDB uses propriety dies, caliber swap takes about 10-15 minutes--especially if you are changing primer size--but it is compact and spits out the rounds. You can often find a used one with several sets of dies and possibly a mount for ~ $275.

Pistol certainly loads fine on the 550, but the auto index of the SDB is handy. BTW, polishing the inside of the powder measure is well worth the 30 minutes with a dremmel...

ZY

550 for .223 and 650 for .45. I have an older version of the Hornady, but can't get parts for it. It served me well for many years. I would be happy with the LNL, but couldn't turn down the deal I got on the 650.

If I were to buy again, I would most likely go with Dillon...if for no other reason Dillon is usually the front runner on improvements/inovations.

I'm a little surprised neither Dillon or Hornady has introduced a bullet feed system.

I use the Dillon RL550B, it's all I've ever owned, and it's all I've ever needed. I have three measures, each with a different metering bar, and swap them separately from the toolheads. In addition to swapping toolheads, it is often necessary to change the shellplate, and also sometimes the priming system internals.

Using previously assembled and adjusted toolhead setups, a caliber swap, including shell plate and priming internals, seldom takes more than ten minutes, sometimes less than five, depending on that day's degree of personal sass.

The things I like most about the RL550B are the ability to retain die adjustments across saveral caliber changes, and the ability to operate some stages progressively, and others as a single stage. The things I like least are the inconsistency of the powder measures with stick powders, and the complexity involved in properly cleaning up powder spills.

Greg

I have the Hornady LNL AP with the new ejection system (EZJect)...the press is awesome, glad to have purchased it. Its fast, its cheap and it comes with 1000 free bullet offer. The LNL bushings are cheap and making switching calibers easy and fast and also tooless.