• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best all around rear bag

Doctorwho1138

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2010
Deep in the woods
I am currently looking for a rear bag. I have been shooting more since the pandemic and I realized that I would be much better off with a rear bag instead of my monopod. The monopod just doesn’t get high enough for me on a bench. Shooting prone is much better but I feel like a bag would be more stable. Looking for a bag that’s relatively light weight and adjustable to get pretty high (bench shooting— the bench at my range is pretty low. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: jimdog708
I second the Precision Underground ELR rear bag, been using this bag for a while & is my favorite bag, really stable.

Reactions: kthomas
A9C61942-A860-496E-9757-B82C9048A269.jpeg

Reactions: stilesg57
I'm not sire what the measurements are on the ELR, but I conned my wife into making me a rectangular bag that's 4x6x8 and its the perfect size for q variety of things. Filled with air soft beads.

I've got 3 or 4 bags that I've bought too, and the home made one still gets used the most. The only thing I may change eventually is trying out one of the fancy fills.

Pick your favorite color in a size/shape that is flexible and you'll be good.

Anybody using the ELR with a Harris 6-9? Do they get along height wise?

I hate to be the only negative here, but I have the Precision Underground 3D ELR and it doesn't seem to have enough fill. If I turn it up on either the long or short sides it just collapses and doesn't hold the stock up at all. If I lay it flat it's not nearly high enough. I think it might work if I add some filler to it.

Edited on 4/30. After I posted this, I got a PM from Precision Underground offering to send a return label, on their dime, to check the bag out. We've now swapped a couple of more PM's as he tries to figure out what do I really need. Regardless of how the bag works out, this is absolutely first class customer service. Not many people would go this far to satisfy a customer.

Edited on 5/16. Precision Underground sent a return label, on their dime, and we swapped many DM's about the issue I had and the possible fixes they could provide. Josh(?) suggested their light weight fill, so I went with it. Got it out yesterday and it rocks. Probably the best I've shot. 1-1/2 by 3 strip at 500 was dancing in the sunlight. If you need a bag, based on my experience, you can't go wrong with these folks.

Last edited:
I hate to be the only negative here, but I have the Precision Underground 3D ELR and it doesn't seem to have enough fill. If I turn it up on either the long or short sides it just collapses and doesn't hold the stock up at all. If I lay it flat it's not nearly high enough. I think it might work if I add some filler to it.
Have you contacted them about your dissatisfaction? I'm pretty sure that they would take care of you if you did.

I haven't contacted them. I feel like I got what I ordered. The fact it doesn't work for me shouldn't be their problem. Its not to the first thing I bought for this hobby that didn't work out, I'm sure it won't be the last.
I've lost track of the number of pistol holsters I've got tossed in a drawer.
I think you're right about them taking care of me if I complained. Based on what I read about them here on the Hide, they have a first class reputation for customer service. In no way do I want my post to be taken as a dig at Precision Underground. It's a good bag, just doesn't work for me.

Please see my edit to post #20.

Last edited:
What makes Precision Underground bag different than Tab Gear bags?

I'm sure the suggestions are all solid.
This is like getting advice on boots or women.
Get with your buds or go to a match and try them out.
I use a tab and Tony makes great bags but that only works for me on my rig chassis/stock/bag rider combo.

R

I appreciate all the love fellas!

@alfmoonspace- the fill we use is two materials blended together for a different feel/reaction when the stock is on it. The fill locks together rather than slipping around inside the bag. We have a standing money back guarantee so its a low risk purchase.

Bro- send it back and tell us what you need! It’s rare that one comes back but we do not want our bags sitting around or on the used market so we tweak a few per year.

And that sound like the opposite of what our bags do. Send me a PM and I’ll send you a shipping label. I can’t imagine our bag “just collapsing”.

We just sent some to Frank and he requested a few tweaks. A rear bag is like a shoe. It’s hard to fit everyone perfectly. As far as I know we are the only company that has a standing offer to adjust your bag as much as you need for the life of the bag. That’s the only way to make everyone happy because it’s impossible to make a bag that fits everyone perfectly.

Game changer. Can’t run the Atlas at 45 degrees or a Harris at 6”, but one click up on the legs and it’s rock solid. I shoot tiny dots for load development and long range steel with mine. Plus I went to school with his brother and his family lives right down the road from where I grew up. Support local ??

Attachments

• AD7639D5-5994-40D9-9843-255934C3840C.jpeg
    AD7639D5-5994-40D9-9843-255934C3840C.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: 260284
I mostly use my udder bag. I try to only take one support bag and one pillow to a match, so whatever the support bag is I also run it as a rear bag for prone. I have the big one from Bison and the little one from Warhorse. I had a game changer, and did shooting comparisons. I end up with the most consistency from the big udder bag. The small udder and the full size game changer were about equal for me, so I sold my game changer.

Try a sock full of popcorn. Wool socks work best. I always carry two socks full tied together.
I agree. But be careful talking to new shooters.
I recommended the same thing to a guy, and he called me up and asked if buttered was ok? I thought at first he was joking. Explained it was the un-popped kernels not the popped stuff.:) He's not dumb or slow either. IDK.

Reactions: Mudmarine
I recommended the same thing to a guy, and he called me up and asked if buttered was ok? I thought at first he was joking. Explained it was the un-popped kernels not the popped stuff.:) He's not dumb or slow either. IDK.
I prefer the unpopped type. The popped type gets too mushy when it rains.

I use a TAB Str8Lace for hunting and shooting steel. I really like it. Nice to sit on it while glassing for animals, too.lol
It's light weight and well thought out.

lol, tell him if you use the poped variety, you have a handy snack as well ?

I placed an order with Precision under ground Last summer. The owner emailed me
With in a few hours. I ordered a large size bag. Back and forth two three emails and I hadn’t ordered a bag that fit what I wanted. Sold me a cheaper bag. Shipped fast high quality. If we can ever shoot comps again I am picking up his ARCA plate bag set up.

I placed an order with Precision under ground Last summer. The owner emailed me
With in a few hours. I ordered a large size bag. Back and forth two three emails and I hadn’t ordered a bag that fit what I wanted. Sold me a cheaper bag. Shipped fast high quality. If we can ever shoot comps again I am picking up his ARCA plate bag set up.
We appreciate the good word ?

THIS for sure. Comes in heavy and light.

Just ordered two bags. I ended up buying one for shooting friend in need as well. Went with the 3D ELR bag. The coupon made it an easy choice. Thanks!!!
You are a hell of a friend and we appreciate the order! We sent a bunch out today and still have some from the last 2 days to get through. Our supply of magical filler that we blend with the beads is really low I'm hoping there's enough to get through this run before the new batch shows up. It's supposed to be in Monday but who knows if that's accurate with the crazy going on out there. I'll update here if there's a delay.

You are a hell of a friend and we appreciate the order! We sent a bunch out today and still have some from the last 2 days to get through. Our supply of magical filler that we blend with the beads is really low I'm hoping there's enough to get through this run before the new batch shows up. It's supposed to be in Monday but who knows if that's accurate with the crazy going on out there. I'll update here if there's a delay.

Not worried. He is a good buddy of mine. And don’t worry about if there are any delays on my account. I am a patient man and I know I will be happy once the product gets here. Thanks for allowing me to use your coupon for mil/le.

I prefer to only use one bag, so it's a sticky pint size game changer.
As front bag on barricades and rear bag at prone positions.

Don't really want to use more gear than i really need, think it's to damn much gear on some competitions with tripods, 14 bags and whatever els you can carry with you.