• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best All Around Rifle for PRS and Some Hunting

Phillium1776

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2023
Blacksburg, VA
Hello,

The Background: I am in the market for my first bolt gun. After years of shooting pistols in competition for fun, I want to get into the PRS and or NRL competitions. I have basically decided on 6.5 Creedmoor because of its good accuracy/high BC, popularity in competition and hunting, and available and relatively affordable match ammo as I am not yet a reloader for any rifle cartridges. Decent barrel life is a pro too.

The Question: What is the best rifle, for roughly around $2k, that would be most capable both in matches and a bit of hunting?

The Ideas:
Springfields 2020 Waypoint: Lots of great reviews and can be found for under $1600.
MPA BA MPR at $2200 also looks amazing. More expensive but worth it?

Seekins Precision makes some nice looking stuff too.

There may be others but what do you all recommend? How much would I really be loosing if I went Waypoint over some of the slightly more expensive stuff?

Thank you, Phill

Lots of similar threads already if you feel like searching through those. Whatever direction you take the px here is worth a look. Lots of 6.5 CM rifles. Many times guys buy or build rifles and sell them for upgrades or other stuff to try

Many rifles go for much less $$ then new or build cost in the px

Hello,

The Background: I am in the market for my first bolt gun. After years of shooting pistols in competition for fun, I want to get into the PRS and or NRL competitions. I have basically decided on 6.5 Creedmoor because of its good accuracy/high BC, popularity in competition and hunting, and available and relatively affordable match ammo as I am not yet a reloader for any rifle cartridges. Decent barrel life is a pro too.

The Question: What is the best rifle, for roughly around $2k, that would be most capable both in matches and a bit of hunting?

The Ideas:
Springfields 2020 Waypoint: Lots of great reviews and can be found for under $1600.

There may be others but what do you all recommend? How much would I really be loosing if I went Waypoint over some of the slightly more expensive stuff?

Thank you, Phill
More hunting (and for what?) or more competition? If youre after white tail or smaller and more competition, Id consider a 6 CM instead of the 6.5. It will be more competitive (less recoil) and still be able to smoke critters effectively with factory ammo.

More hunting (and for what?) or more competition? If youre after white tail or smaller and more competition, Id consider a 6 CM instead of the 6.5. It will be more competitive (less recoil) and still be able to smoke critters effectively with factory ammo.
Good question. More competition than hunting. Hunting would be for deer.

Phill

Good question. More competition than hunting. Hunting would be for deer.

Phill
6 Creed all the way. Between the two you posted, MPA. Reason being that with the MPA chassis you will have a lot more flexibility for placing weights for balance on barricades and a built in arca rail for a bipod. Also, the action should be headspace guaranteed, meaning you can simply swap barrels if you want to change calibers later on or want to buy from someone other than MPA.

Hornady 109 ELD-M Match ammo is almost as good as a handload.

Reactions: Phillium1776
I have nothing against the 6 CM, but you really need to consider if you want to pony up the dollars for rebarreling frequently.
If you've got the scratch, go for it.
Barrel life is short on a 6mm CM match gun.
You can load the 130 RDF in the 6.5 and reduce the recoil quite a bit.
This is where it gets tricky, a rifle light enough to use for hunting tends to be too light for PRS.
A gun heavy enough for PRS sucks to carry for hunting.
You can either buy a chassis and add/remove weights according to what you're shooting, or you can buy two chassis, a KRG X ray for competition with the weights installed and a Bravo for hunting and just swap the barreld action.
Those two chassis added together are less than many singular chassis.

Look at this:

Add a Timney Elite hunter set at 2 pounds or so

Your'e all in on the rifle for less than 2000 bucks and that is with two chassis' (weights not included).

Don't be too enamored with the Springfield, there are sufficient horror stories to keep most at bay.

The Solus can use either savage barrel nut barrels or prefits for the Zermatt

True that 6CM will need rebarreled more frequently than the 6.5CM, he will get at least 16-1800 (maybe more) rounds but if he starts really competing then he will want the lower recoil.

Barrels are a consumable part of the competition process, just like bullets and powder. Changing calibers is more costly than replacing barrels.

Seekins or MPA. Both are great companies. Seekins makes every part in house, except the trigger. Round does not matter as much as shooting alot.

The Solus with chassis options sounds like a great idea! Any idea on what kind of accuracy one could expect from it? If it should be comparable to the MPA, then that sounds like a huge win!

The Solus with chassis options sounds like a great idea! Any idea on what kind of accuracy one could expect from it? If it should be comparable to the MPA, then that sounds like a huge win!
I have no personal experience with them, but many think they produce a decent barrel. I would venture to say that if there were issues with it, they would take care of you.
The advantage is, once you decide to rebarrel, it is nothing more than ordering a new pre-fit and torqueing it on.

Reactions: D1gger
Of the two you mentioned, I would pick the MPA without hesitation. Since you’re going to compete in PRS, once you purchase a membership, you gain access to member discounts. MPA provides a nice discount to PRS members. For your first one I would go with 6.5 creedmoor. Then when that rifle needs a new barrel you may want to consider 6 BR or any other flavor in 6mm including 6 creedmoor (which is what is use).

Last edited:
The two rifles you mentioned are wildly different, and for good reason. Hunting rifles make less than ideal match rifles. Match rifles make for poor hunting rifles. For PRS, you really want a heavy rifle that balances on bag in front of the magwell. This leads to rifles that weigh 18+lbs (typical 4-5lb stock/chassis, with a heavy barrel profile &/or several hundred dollars in added weights). That rifle would suck to carry more than 1/4 mile or shoot offhand.

I'd vote for the MPA PMR (or similar custom build) for PRS, then pick up a cheap hunting rifle setup once finances recover. A jack of all trades sucks at both.

Hello,

The Ideas:

Thank you, Phill
I just released a video on getting started in PRS...Hopefully it will help you make a good decision on how and where you want to begin your journey:

the TRG 42 was my very first precision rifle in 300 Win Mag. I loved it so much that I made my handle name part of it. The TRG 42 is the long action version of the TRG 22. The TRG 22 is a GREAT rifle. With a good load, it will easy shoot 1/2 moa or better. I absolutely love the rifle stock and how it feels and fits. The double action trigger I also love. The bolt throw of 60 degrees is a great asset for quick reloads with a bolt gun. The large bolt handle makes it easy also. There are many features that the TRG has that other rifles and stocks try to do. The TRG is one of the rifles I "melt" into when shooting it. I burned up my first barrel on the TRG 42 with about 2200 rounds. It is still one of my favorite rifles to shoot. It is very smooth and very comfortable to shoot. Buy with 100% confidence.

As mentioned above already. Having guns setup as dual purpose rifles between comp and hunting only seem to workout in certain aspects.

I have heavy/match setup rifles. Take my AIAT for example. It’s a heavy pig. Shooting targets is an absolute dream. Hunting like I use it for (crop damage on white tails) sitting stationary overlooking 40-80 acre fields it’s awesome! But from a blind or walking standpoint it totally sucks. It’s not only heavy but long with the TBAC ultra 9 on the end.

So I guess it depends what type of hunting you do. Sometimes it’s best to go all in on the comp gun. Weigh it down. Choose your optic based on the reticle/magnification you want for comp etc. A 7-35 atacr for example makes a great range or hunting setup for what I do. Makes for a really shitty setup in rifle season for bucks when low light and closer range becomes a factor due to the 7 power on the low end. Which being a NF is more like 9 power as they all seem to tunnel.

I’ve tried the heavy comp style gun hunting. It sucks unless stationary overlooking a field

I’ve tried swapping scopes/chassis for hunting. That sucks to.

I’ve pulled all weights and unnecessary items off a gun to make it easier for hunting. But the overall size and weight of that setup is still cumbersome.

If your stationary hunting go all out on the comp gun and give it a try. Otherwise go all out on the comp gun and just get a lighter/shorter/smaller overall setup for hunting

I vote MPA as well. The MPA PMR rifle for under $1900 from Buds is a great deal . As already stated MPA is a great company and their rifles shoot . They actually come with a 3/8 moa guarantee.
B3EF97D9-8F45-4CAD-817A-512DD7A76A17.jpeg

Best all around rifle for target shooting and for hunting?

Does not exist and probably never will unless humans grow to be equal in strength to a 700 pound gorilla.

My experience, compromise never satisfies, never hunts well or is great for target shooting, PRS or otherwise. You’ll get by after a while but in the end, you will be dissatisfied in both pursuits. Then, you will either drop one and go with the other, purchasing a dedicated rifle with the compromise gathering dust in the safe or worse, you’ll like both, purchase a dedicated hunting rifle and a dedicated Target rifle and have the compromise still sitting in the safe.

As the ole song says; "Better go home, son, and make up your mind"

So, as others have said, I too have done business with MPA and they are a good company. Several other companies are just as good. Your best compromise is likely the MPA but there are plenty of other popular commercial chassis rifles. Saw a Savage on the shelf at Academy for a grand, which may well work for you.

I like the MPA or GAP but your milage may vary

I really like is getting one of the really nice and very inexpensive hunting rifles, such as the Ruger American or Weatherby Vanguard and then putting your real money in a nice PRS rifle. No compromises.

MPA

it's do-able but not in the budget you have listed

XLR Element 4.0 (magnesium)
lightweight/ti action
C4 AND carbon buttstocks
heavy steel AND carbon barrels
buttstock and chassis weight kits

you can get from an 8-9# range up to 20# or more

Reactions: Modoc
Just build a legitimate PRS rifle and hunt with it. Unless you packing your rifle miles and hunting big game like elk, you can get away with a 20# 6br, which is what I do. I’ve shot plenty of whitetail and pigs in Texas with 109 hybrids and it kills them as good as any “hunting” ammo or caliber I’ve ever used. Added benefit you actually get to hunt with a rifle you practice with so making a 300 yard ethical kill becomes a chip shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    824.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
For $2k(ish) this is what I would do:

- Origin BA action - $900
- 22 - 24" barrel, in medium to heavy palma - ~$700-800
- KRG Bravo chassis (affordable, lightweight, you can really dress it up for comps or dress it down for hunting) - $350
- Trigger of choice - ~$200

This will put you just a little over $2k. Doesn't include bipod, scope, scope mount or other extras.

For the barrel, if you go heavy palma I would lean towards 22" for weight and balance, 24" if you are going with a medium palma. The palma style contours will help keep the balance, as the KRG Bravo is a fairly light chassis.

I think the above would be a pretty good compromise between a PRS and hunting rifle, while staying within the realm of your budget constraints.

Reactions: b6graham
Just don't do it, you'll save more money being an alcoholic. But if you do, build a dedicated guns for prs and a dedicated gun for hunting/nrl.

Just don't do it, you'll save more money being an alcoholic. But if you do, build a dedicated guns for prs and a dedicated gun for hunting/nrl.

Ultimately two dedicated rifles is the most optimal solution.

But I understand when people are under a budget, they have to make compromises.

When I got into hunting, rather then spend money on a new rifle and scope (and I know I would want top tier stuff), I just got a new chassis (KRG Bravo) and a rifle for my Mausingfield (18" 3B contour 6.5 Creedmoor). I couldn't afford a whole new setup, and doing it this way allows me to still have a top tier action, barrel, scope and trigger. When it's hunting season, I put on the hunting barrel, the KRG Bravo chassis, zero it and off I go.

With $2k, you can build a rifle that's decent (though not 100% optimal) at both tasks. As time and money comes in, a new rifle can always be built.

Reactions: GeoDude