• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best all round .308 barrel length?

It all depends on what kind of rifle you are building and what you intend to do with it. Personally, unless you are planning on shooting out past 800 yards on a regular basis, 20-22" is just about the perfect compromise between balance and ballistics. The 308 is a very efficient round and shorter barrels dont really hurt its velocity all that much. 20" and shorter are quite common. The idea that you need a 26" barrel for distance shooting with a 308 is an idea that has pretty much come and gone. Realistically, if you are planning on shooting out to and past 800 yards on a regular basis, you would probably be best served with a different caliber.

Thanks for that. The rifle i was looking at is an out of the box AI AX308 and I can't decide what barrel length to buy.

I won't be shooting any further then 800 yards, at least for now anyway.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I run 308’s in 20”, 21.75” and 26”... for hunting the two short ones get used while the 26” is used mostly at the range. If I had to down size Id stick with the 21.75 and if I were to build one to replace them all id compromise and go 23” or 24”

22".
I have a 24" and don't feel those 2" I was so worried about do me any good.

and in come the jokes :)

I have run a Remington 700 with a 20" for the last year or so and have developed a load that can shoot consistent 3-6" groups at 479 yds and holds the same size out to almost 700 (667yds to be exact). Granted these are hand loads but you will have no problem getting out to 800 with a 20". If you are not going to handlooad you will not get the velocity out of the barrel that is advertised on your box of ammo. Most test barrels are between 22-24" long. So your going to have to develop your own dope off of either distance drop tests or a really good chronograph.

to second what LRJammer stated earlier 20" barrels have proven to be VERY accurate and with factory ammo sometimes max out the load. Meaning you start loosing velocity in longer barrels because the powder has burned completely before reaching the end of the tube creating drag.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong: Dallas SWAT conducted a test several years ago a Remington PSS 26" barrel using factory Fed GMM. Started the test with the full 26" and cut of an inch at a time until they got down to, I think it was 16". They discovered that for this factory load no velocity was lost or gained out of 20" comparability to the 26" barrel and the velocity remand consistent. Now, that is specifically applied to Federal Gold Medal Match. Might not be the case and doubtfully so with other brands and bullets.

Unless your planning on shooting past 800, id go with a 20.

I currently have two 20" .308s, one is a 5R and the other is a ACC-SD and recently sold a 20" savage .308 mod 10. No problem getting to a 1000 with any of these with the right load. Yesterday witnessed several 20" rifle on the line making 1040 yard hits consistantly. 20" seems the most practical for me and my uses but my ACC may soon be sporting a 18" or a 16" barrel.
Velocities for my 20's are:
Rem 5r 20" 178 Amax---2535 fps (Muzzle) 1251(@1000 according to JBM)
Rem ACC-SD 20" 175 SMK---2591 fps (Muzzle) 1220(@1000 acording to JBM)

Shorter barrels also restrain you (partially) to heavier bullets - light ones (155) really need that length in order to build up to the speed they like.

20 -22""" GAP doesnt build Crusaders with a 22 "' barrel for the heck of it. not too short ,not too long

Hostile_Natured
Several years ago, your question would have probably brought different answers, as most shooters did not want to consider a short barrel on their rifles. Indeed, in the past few years, several tests were conducted, in order to prove, or not, the effectiveness of shorter barrels. Long story short, these shorter barrels are very stiff and, without having too much pretension of shooting at 1200 yards, they proved themselves as being tack drivers on shorter distances. As many LEO Snipers will have their target within 75 to 100 yards, these shorter barrels were, for them, the way to go. Military Snipers would often look at further distances and a somewhat longer barrel was still making sens; As for both LEO and Military, the weapons are often mission specific and the appropriated caliber will be determined by how far the target may be, so forget about a .308 for a 1200 yards target (or further), even if it is possible (check out Gilliland in Ramadi, 1250 meters, very impressive one shot). A .300 WM or a .338 LM will be the weapon of choice and they will not have an 18" barrel.
Your .308 will be shooting at a thousand yards, with a 20", 22" and above; I shot my Sako TRG 22, 26" barrel, at a mile, on a 15"x25" metal silhouette (thanks Kurt). I could only get a 25% hits ratio (5 out of 20 rounds). OK to have fun but not effective if other purpose. Remember to have a scope base with a minimum of 30 MOA built in, good ammo and a very good quality scope (S&Bx25), or forget about it.
This is what happen when your buds are shooting .338 LM and 7mm SAUM, you try to "hang out", thanks Mark and Dale.
I hope this can help you some.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

I run a 20" that is a hammer. Just ordered a Bartlein #4 to finish at .750 24". I'll report back on how I like the 24".

As you have seen there are many factors to be considered here. Barrel length will affect muzzle velocity. Barrel twist (1/10 or 1/12 etc) will affect how much spin you get, which will affect the stability of the bullet in flight. So you have to ask yourself what type of rounds you intend to use? Light weight 147gr, med weight 168gr, or heavy-weight 200+ (subsonic) rounds. Will you be using a silencer, or muzzle brake, etc? Will you be using and light barrel, or a heavy barrel?

With all that being said, and the above answers to your questions; I'd say that a 20" barrel will be the best of all worlds.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:
If you need more than a 20" barrel you should get a 6.5mm. Especially if you shoot with a silencer like I prefer to.

I have 20" .308s with 1/10 twist barrels that love the 155s and the 178s.

I also had a 16.5" factory Remington Varmint that hammered the 155s with it's 1/12 twist. I did not get chrony data, but it was a laser at 200 yds

18-20" are excellent with the right twist. I have had a few 18" and will probably be the only length I would do a 308 in again. Just so handy.

Will a 20" barrel get you to 1K yards? Yes. Can you compete against other F/TR shooters running 30" barrels. Not competitively. Ask yourself what you want to do with it and go from there.

I'm shooting a 20" and a 26" 308.

This is all just conversation/opinion, but I'd suggest a 20-24" for all around use, depending on your preferences.

Longer or shorter lengths than that, are getting into niche-rifle territory, in my humble opinion.

26" and shooting out to 1200yds it will get the job done, but to make it easy to 1000yds and beyond get a 338 Lapua.

Yes I have.

I at looking at buying the AI AX308 and the options for barrel lengths are 20", 24" or 26".

I think i'm going to get the 20" barrel. I will be only shooting out to 700 to 800 meter steel targets.

Last edited:
Yes I have.

I at looking at buy the AI AX308 and the options for barrel lengths are 20", 24" or 26".

I think i'm going to get the 20" barrel. I will be only shooting out to 700 to 800 meter steel targets.

One last thought: You could always go with a 24" and have it shortened in the future if you feel you need less weight and or length. You can't add to the length later. The military chose the 24 inch barrel as it provides the best overall performance for their intended use. My gunsmith seems to think that anything beyond 24" on a .308 and you begin to have diminishing returns, if not losses. Of course, that's simply his opinion. Go with what you want, as you're the one who has to live with the final product.

Do the powers that be allow threaded barrels in Aus? If so, that's a great option so that you can use the muzzle break of your choosing. A muzzle brake on the .308 is wonderful and makes a very noticeable difference.

When you do make that final call, let us know and then post a picture when it arrives.

Enjoy.

I have run both a 20" and a 24" on the .308 Platform. I Much prefer the 24" I get better all around performance and the 800-1k hits are more easily achieveable.

^ you guys and your long barrels, I shoot quite regularly beyond 1000 with my stubby little 16", but Im lucky enough not to have a sea level problem. That and I suffer from a similar problem as does VJJ.

My SAC is going to be a 16 inch 1-10 Bartlein. The previous 18 inch 700 was too dam long.

I'm having one put together right now with a 26" barrel for Berger 155&168GR Hybrids.

One last thought: You could always go with a 24" and have it shortened in the future if you feel you need less weight and or length. You can't add to the length later. The military chose the 24 inch barrel as it provides the best overall performance for their intended use. My gunsmith seems to think that anything beyond 24" on a .308 and you begin to have diminishing returns, if not losses. Of course, that's simply his opinion. Go with what you want, as you're the one who has to live with the final product.

i agree with shooter, i would go with the 24" if you are shooting out to 800yds and if you don't like the length you can always have it shortened!

If I recall correctly I saw a Youtube Video of LOWLIGHT here on the hide Shooting Steel Repeatedly with a 16" Rifle (GAP I think) so yea, if you know what you're doing I'd say a 16" .308 will do wonders on anything within 500 yards and handles like a glove.

Just my 2cent...

It all depends on what kind of rifle you are building and what you intend to do with it. Personally, unless you are planning on shooting out past 800 yards on a regular basis, 20-22" is just about the perfect compromise between balance and ballistics. The 308 is a very efficient round and shorter barrels dont really hurt its velocity all that much. 20" and shorter are quite common. The idea that you need a 26" barrel for distance shooting with a 308 is an idea that has pretty much come and gone. Realistically, if you are planning on shooting out to and past 800 yards on a regular basis, you would probably be best served with a different caliber.

All around is generic and may mean something different to different folks. In F-class shooting, the target class uses 26-32 inch barrels. True they are not concerned about "swinging" a rifle on target in tight quarters, they are concerned only with 1000 shooting .5" or better groups. The feeling there is get the biggest longest barrel you can and stay under weight. But the idea that a 20 inch barrel is optimal and other stuff I read all over about beyond 24" you are loosing something with a 308 seems a bit off.

Serious 1000 yd f-class shooters with 308's use 26 inch barrels to start from and go longer from there if you plan on going out 1000. Seems I read folks wanting short scout rifles and the. Want to shoot 1000 with them sometimes.

All around tactical rifle, ya maybe 20" barrel shooting 600 yds or so max. If your trying to shoot long range, go longer. 308 works just fine at 1000 yds. Just need a little longer barrel to be more consistent. Of course it may get In the way swinging it on target in tight quarters.

I vote for 26" as the compromise point.

Last edited:
well....alot love the shorter barrels
....I just had accurate ordnance put a bartlein rem heavy contour on my 700 (1-11.25)....finished at 24+2 for apa lil jimmy.... I love it...is it heavy??? yes but its perfect for what I wanted....hunting inside of 600 and paper at 1k.... 2575 fps with 43.2 gr of varget in LC brass....cci br2 and 168 a max.... remember, its what YOU want

Could I please get everyone's thoughts on what would be the best / most preferred barrel length for an all round .308
Measured how?

Because your version of a 20" barrel might not be my 20" barrel.

And your #2 contour might not like 27" any more than my MTU contour would balance at 16".

I would do 21-22", #4 or Light Palma for what I do......but I'd rather a tad smaller bore.

A heavy 16 to 20 inch barrel is the way to go. Having a shorter barrel is better because it is stiffer and is more accurate in my experience. It's also easier to maneuver. Going from a 24 inch barrel to a 20 inch barrel your only losing around 50fps in velocity. That's not much. A 16inch barrel will easily get you out to a 1000 yards or more. In that Magpul DVD they shot out to a mile with a 16inch and 20 inch barrel