• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best AR-10 Lower to build off of?

Jakerz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Statesville, NC
I'm toying around with the idea of an AR-10 as my next build and I want to build it from parts. My question is what lower would you consider the "best" to build a new gun from?

I prefer it to fit a DPMS Upper over Armalite

Jake

Re: Best AR-10 Lower to build off of?

I haven't bought the MA-10 but I have got Mega's MTS upper.

Really happy with the quality and finish.

Waiting on the matching lower now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jakerz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm toying around with the idea of an AR-10 as my next build and I want to build it from parts. My question is what lower would you consider the "best" to build a new gun from?

I prefer it to fit a DPMS Upper over Armalite

Jake </div></div>Then you're not building an AR10. If you want to build an R10, use an Armalite lower. You want to build a semi auto .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mega Ma-Ten. </div></div>
+1
If I could get the LMT MWS lower I would suggest that but since you cant the Mega would be my next choice.

Hmm, thanks guys the Meta stuff looks amazing, I like the setup and its not really a bad price at $630ish for the upper, lower, charging handle and all.

Got an newbie question for you AR guys, if I buy that, and all the internals do I need to get a Smith to install a barrel on that upper?

Jake

Unless you want to buy a wrench and vise block, and borrow a torque wrench....and you know maybe buy a set of go nogo gauges...unless your brave...

if you buy a new barrel most places will install it if you send them your upper, and thats also a good time to get your bolt trued.

with a few basic tools, you could do it all yourself. some fore ends and barrel nuts need a special wrench, some use a basic wrench. before you select one see whats needed to install it

iron ridge

I had heard that Krieger had a special on their AR barrels and they come with a headspaced bolt. Don't know but I'm considering doing a rifle build myself. Can anyone recommend a good upper with a left side charging handle like the LWRC REPR?

JP makes a dpms version, not positive that you can buy just an upper though...

american spirit arms sells an upper that is left side charger but it is AR10 style.

fulton makes a side charger and there are a few places that will mill any upper to accept a side charger handle

You may want to consider a JP Enterprises lower. I did not see a lower on their web site but they may offer one. JPE is quality stuff.

I love my fulton lower. You can custom build uppers off there website, but there pretty pricy. They also have a kreiger barrel option. I almost did one a few months back in 6.5 creedmoor.

IRA makes the best looking IMO. I dont know about fit, but they are tight. I have one for my Armalite. The finish is the best I have seen. They are also one of the most expensive.