• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best ar-10 under 1700 ish

Tikkaguy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2020
7C460331-5CCF-43AA-8026-DAF85DA0DD59.png

What do you guys think. Thew around the idea of a m1a but was kinda drawn back into ar-10 ideas. What’s the best ar-10 for the money around 1700. Really like the look of the stag 10 in fde. Going to make factory ceracoat a requirement lol. Yeah I know it’s dumb but I like the looks somethihg desires black. The stags are on sale for like 1350. I built a aero m5 a while back with a Wilson combat barrel. Gun was super accurate but a nightmare getting the right gas tube length and gettin the gun gassed correctly. Never ran 100 percent. Sold to a buddy to tincker with. I don’t own a dedicated 308 anymore and I miss it.

Sp10 is the cheapest large Frame AR worth buying. Have owned a bunch over the years from eagle to armalite to s&w to LMT to KAC and HK. Aero, mega and colt 901 builds. The larue UU kit would be my choice but I think they discontinued them

Add $1000 to your rifle budget or don't waste your money IMO. Large frame AR there is no free lunch.

Sp10 is the cheapest large Frame AR worth buying. Have owned a bunch over the years from eagle to armalite to s&w to LMT to KAC and HK. Aero, mega and colt 901 builds. The larue UU kit would be my choice but I think they discontinued them

Add $1000 to your rifle budget or don't waste your money IMO. Large frame AR there is no free lunch.
Okey bud. Comming from the guy who can’t see anything without a Zco right? Lol. Just poking fun… little out of my budget. Most of the my expensive stuff i have tied up in my trg haha.

He’s not wrong, SP10 really is the entry into a great large frame. They’re very accurate and reliable. I know it’s not what you want to hear but you get what you pay for and a cheap large frame is going to be just that.

If it absolutely had to be under $1700 I’d probably flip a coin between the Stag and a Ruger SFAR, but I wouldn’t buy one expecting a flawless platform or superb accuracy.

Reactions: simonp
He’s not wrong, SP10 really is the entry into a great large frame. They’re very accurate and reliable. I know it’s not what you want to hear but you get what you pay for and a cheap large frame is going to be just that.

If it absolutely had to be under $1700 I’d probably flip a coin between the Stag and a Ruger SFAR, but I wouldn’t buy one expecting a flawless platform or superb accuracy.
Yeah I have no doubt with the Seekens they make great stuff! Yeah I kmow some compromises have to made. Far as I can see they use ballistic advantage barrels which I have no issues with. Looks like a aero with a slant reciver cut. I figure buy one shoot out the factory barrel and put a match barrel in it later. As long it shoot around 1- to maybe 1.5 moa with hand loads I’m okay with that.

Yeah I have no doubt with the Seekens they make great stuff! Yeah I kmow some compromises have to made. Far as I can see they use ballistic advantage barrels which I have no issues with. Looks like a aero with a slant reciver cut. I figure buy one shoot out the factory barrel and put a match barrel in it later. As long it shoot around 1- to maybe 1.5 moa with hand loads I’m okay with that.

So you didn’t learn your lesson the first time around with large frame parts issue.

Buy a good complete rifle that you don’t need to fuck with. That’s how you get a reliable large frame.

I'm sure it's going to drive some of the posters here nuts, but, for the $, Doublestar makes an excellent AR10. They have a reputation for being much more accurate than they should be. Check GB Guns on YouTube.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
So you didn’t learn your lesson the first time around with large frame parts issue.

Buy a good complete rifle that you don’t need to fuck with. That’s how you get a reliable large frame.
Oh for sure. It’s all about sticking with one brand as there is no real standardized gas system for them. I see nothing but good reviews on the stag really. Never heard many complaints on Aeros either. Run the gun with a stock ba barrel. Buy a ba premium series after. Sure they aren’t a bartlien or a Wilson barrel. I have a ba premium in a mk12 build. Shoots sub .7 inch with 77s. Good enough for what I’ll be doing with it

Oh for sure. It’s all about sticking with one brand as there is no real standardized gas system for them. I see nothing but good reviews on the stag really. Never heard many complaints on Aeros either.

There’s plenty of complaints on BA barrels, they are junk.

I would roll my dice with the Ruger over anything with a BA barrel.

There’s plenty of complaints on BA barrels, they are junk.

I would roll my dice with the Ruger over anything with a BA barrel.
Just my opinion, Ruger is weird small frame correct ? Will it take dpms platform barrels?
I don’t have alot of faith in Ruger products, constant qc issues with the rpr accuarcy wise. Same with the old hawk eye. Luck of the draw if one you got one that shot.

You can build your own for about that. Its not hard, I did it and have a reliable and accurate rifle. BA receiver set, SLR barrel, Wilson Combat barrel, etc.

I’m not sure who folks act like building a large frame is impossible. If you buy quality parts, do your research, and properly assemble it, the gun works great. Same with any gun.

I am seeing also armalite rifles around 1850, windhams and m&p 10s I guess as well.

What would you buy haha
If I was starting over I'd do an LMT if I absolutely had to have a 308 or 6.5cm, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need semi-auto capabilities for 308-based cartridges.

The 6 arc / 6.5 grendel / 22 grendel is just so much better all around for what I enjoy. Less blast, less recoil, less to carry, less powder, easier to shoot from field positions, yet better or equal ballistics. Plus it's just an upper away.

Honestly, a good 18" 5.56 with 75 bthp or 77 TMKs really gets it done for me. It's easy to get hung up on thinking you need a large frame (BTDT) but spend some time with a ballistic calculator comparing with the grendel cartridges before taking the plunge.

IMO anything over 16" out of a large frame with a can is useless for anything but bench duty. Make that 18 for a small frame. Given those restrictions small frames win all day.

If I was starting over I'd do an LMT if I absolutely had to have a 308 or 6.5cm, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need semi-auto capabilities for 308-based cartridges.

The 6 arc / 6.5 grendel / 22 grendel is just so much better all around for what I enjoy. Less blast, less recoil, less to carry, less powder, easier to shoot from field positions, yet better or equal ballistics. Plus it's just an upper away.

Honestly, a good 18" 5.56 with 75 bthp or 77 TMKs really gets it done for me. It's easy to get hung up on thinking you need a large frame (BTDT) but spend some time with a ballistic calculator comparing with the grendel cartridges before taking the plunge.

IMO anything over 16" out of a large frame with a can is useless for anything but bench duty. Make that 18 for a small frame. Given those restrictions small frames win all day.
Yeah I could see that. I had a 6.5 Grendel. Couldn’t justify the price of ammo for such a small round and finding it was pretty hard about a year ago. Sold all my Grendel crap. 18 308 doesn’t bother me much weight wise. I would like the possibly of hunting with it kinda cuts out 556 for that purpose. I have a lot of 308 ammo and components as well.

For what use, hunting, target or just in case? I have a PTR 91 which is really more accurate than the HK91 I had years ago for a "just in case"
Years ago I purchased a DPMS G2 to figure out how to make barrels and extensions. I tossed the ss barrel and used one of my own, installed a Geissele trigger and M LOk Hg, now it's a good as any 308AR I have ever had.
Full size 308 ARs are heavy but not sure which small frame I would use

Reactions: Vynz and Tikkaguy
For what use, hunting, target or just in case? I have a PTR 91 which is really more accurate than the HK91 I had years ago for a "just in case"
Years ago I purchased a DPMS G2 to figure out how to make barrels and extensions. I tossed the ss barrel and used one of my own, installed a Geissele trigger and M LOk Hg, now it's a good as any 308AR I have ever had.
Full size 308 ARs are heavy but not sure which small frame I would use
Be mostly a target rifle or a rainy day gun if it had to do be. Occasional hunting. I built a aero with a lighter weight faxon barrel for a friend a while back. He seems to love it. And he primarily hunts with it. As long as it can hold decent 1.5 moa warm strings of firing and weighs under 13 lbs with scope I could care less

Going full circle here- after a half dozen or so aero M5 uppers (god knows how many buffers), the winning combo for me is a 16" criterion rifle gas with an oss can and a jp scs h2.

Runs the same can on and off. Super smooth. Hasn't malfunctioned yet over 500+ rounds.

But I still leave it in the safe and shoot my 18" 223 😏

If I could get my money back I would but it would only sell for like $500 after sinking 4 times that into it.

Having read so many nightmare large frame threads, it seems like you pay in dollars, or you pay in frustration.

What if you spent your ~$1700 budget on a complete upper from Compass Lake (it’s built on an Aero upper), and bought a complete lower when finances allowed it? I haven’t bought any Compass Lake stuff, but they’re a well-respected company on the Hide. Their barrel options are Douglas, Krieger, and Bartlein, so I’m guessing they throw together an accurate upper. Just a thought.

Compass Lake AR-10 Complete Uppers

I went with a DPMS G2. I‘ve had other DPMS G1 rifles. Between the two I’d pick DPMS G2 every time. Current G2s in production are: Adams Arms (Piston), and F4 Defense. PSA announced at SHOT this year they are bringing back their G2 the PX-10. I’ve not tried the new smaller frames like the POF or SFAR.

Reactions: BCP and Tikkaguy
Shop for a used Seekins, LMT, Larue, get something quality and you won't lose money on it

Around 2k you can find the PWS 308 rifles, I liked my Mk214, POF rifles too but they are a mixed bag you might get a great shooter or a headache

If going cheap a used 716i or a new Ruger SFAR

You can build your own for about that. Its not hard, I did it and have a reliable and accurate rifle. BA receiver set, SLR barrel, Wilson Combat barrel, etc.

I’m not sure who folks act like building a large frame is impossible. If you buy quality parts, do your research, and properly assemble it, the gun works great. Same with any gun.
For every person that puts a mixmaster together that actually runs, there are 5 that are pulling their hair out. For something that actually rivals the factory guns, you will spend MORE than just buying a LMT or Seekins.

I have been building AR's for 20 years and probally have a few hundred under my belt. Have built and owned just about everything out there, and even I don't fuck with Large Frame AR's. Been burned too many times, even taking every precaution and using every trick in the book. There is no standard and tollerence stacking is a huge issue, even with parts from the same manufacture. Its much easier to just buy a factory gun that you know will work. My preference would be LMT (Can get machined barrel extensions to run a custom barrel), Larue, JP, HK, Seekins or KAC. Not worth messing with anything else IMO.

Buy a factory gun from a mfg with a track record of building accurate reliable large frames. You won’t regret a good factory gun. The used market is your friend if you have a little patience.

buy LMT or build an Aero
I favor the build your own approach. Did my research/ watched many screwtube videos and did a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor both on Aero uppers and lowers. The .308 took 3 tries to get the gas block positioned correctly for proper function. The 6.5 I got right 1st time. Both 100% reliable and both shoot lights out. :)

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Building a reliable & durable AR10 or AR308 is not nearly as easy as building a reliable AR15 because there's no AR10 or AR308 "Mil-Spec" standard like with AR15/m4 clones. Take a look at some of the parts compatibility issues in this thread:

Reactions: Jgault
My $1,200.00. 18” M&P 10 has treated me nicely.

Money left over to buy brake and floating tube.

Over 4-K rounds in this accurate, reliable, factory rifle. Would not hesitate to buy another.

Easy barrel change if needed.

Lol so many votes for lmts. I guess lll look around for a used high end or if I have to spend 2500 to get a reliable ar-10 then maybe I I’ll look back at the m1a loaded and glass bed one not sure 🤪 at least I know they eat about what ever you feed them if you take care of them.

If I buy another large frame it be a LMT most likely. That said my rock river LAR8 was a great gun.

The RR are proprietary though and the one I had was a hog

"
Lol so many votes for lmts. I guess lll look around for a used high end or if I have to spend 2500 to get a reliable ar-10 then maybe I I’ll look back at the m1a loaded and glass bed one not sure 🤪 at least I know they eat about what ever you feed them if you take care of them.
Your best best now that prices are dropping, is to piece a lmt together. Between v1, gunbroker and other sites you can build the exact gun you want for less than a new or used one would cost. 2 years ago when prices were nuts, I was able to do just this with all factory lmt mws parts including the 6.5cm ss barrel that was going for $1500-2k each at the time. If v1 doesn't have it in stock, get on a waiting list. Will take longer but you will save atleast 1-1.5k.

If I buy another large frame it be a LMT most likely. That said my rock river LAR8 was a great gun.

The RR are proprietary though and the one I had was a hog
Yeah I forgot about rra always liked their stuff

"
Your best best now that prices are dropping, is to piece a lmt together. Between v1, gunbroker and other sites you can build the exact gun you want for less than a new or used one would cost. 2 years ago when prices were nuts, I was able to do just this with all factory lmt mws parts including the 6.5cm ss barrel that was going for $1500-2k each at the time. If v1 doesn't have it in stock, get on a waiting list. Will take longer but you will save atleast 1-1.5k.
Yes Probly right

Saw a new Defender H on the shelf yesterday for $2499. Things are slowing down. Some of those who can’t afford those credova payments will be offloading them soon. Lol.

The Rock River Lar-8 I had once upon a time was a great rifle. But as pointed out above….was a hog. Even when I swapped the 20” for a 16” barrel. Not so bad for static hunting and bench shooting, but definitely not pleasant to tote around the woods at night, especially in summer. And as mentioned has proprietary parts including using the FAL magazine….but those were pretty easy to come by and the polymer one’s RRA put out worked well too. Sold it to help fund a POF Revolution for the weight savings. Still run that, but it is a few hundred dollars above your budget.

Also had a Sig 716i that ran well with everything I put through it…..even milsurp stuff…..never had any issues out of it. But also did not own it long enough to really use/abuse it. Had an opportunity to reacquire a firearm I had regrettably traded a few years ago and the Sig was the price so off it went. This is probably a good option for you to consider in your budget…..if you are not running suppressed as it does not come stock with an AGB.

Last year I had a buddy get a stag 10 (on sale for $1000)- but it was the very base model. I'm not a expert on them at all- but knew more than him so have been there helping him with getting it setup and here is my review of it.

Fit and finish is very nice- everything looks good. Really like the way the hand guard connects and it is very solid. The fit between upper and lower is extremely tight- so much so that it is a little difficult to separate them. You can't push the rear pin out and then pivot it off of the front pin. You have to push both pins out and then work it back and forth lifting up and it eventually comes. It goes together a little easier but requires a good squeeze to be able to put the pins back. Everything else is just basic AR feel with a standard trigger.

Right out of the box it would run quality ammo (168 and 175 grain 308 ammo) and cycle and lock back on an empty mag.... but it would not work with the cheap 147-150 grain 7.62 ammo. It would eject but wouldn't pick up another round or lock back. It doesn't have an adjustable gas block- We pulled the gas block and used pins to see what size the gas port was and it was smaller than what most internet sources said that it should be (but didn't write down what it was and can't remember). Never had a can on it.

Rather than drilling the port out or making other changes my friend decided he would just use the 168 ammo and leave it as is- it shoots right about moa or a little under.

I don't know if this would be different with a premium brand of AR- because there's a lot of different ammo with different pressures out there.... but probably not a good SHTF choice because of it's need for quality ammo. With that- zero malfunctions with the good ammo.

Daniels defense dd5 are 2300 ish that would be the closest to you budget for a good ar 10

IMHO, LMT or KAC or don't bother, anything else is an exercise in futility. The more I mess with newer small frame calibers the more I realize that a large frame is becoming less ideal.

I’m thinking I will just go back to the m1a. Or maybe a armalite rifle. Only thing I can see without spending a arm and a leg. Spend the extra money on ammo haha

Reactions: mewillis
I’m thinking I will just go back to the m1a. Or maybe a armalite rifle. Only thing I can see without spending a arm and a leg. Spend the extra money on ammo haha
Just over your range but they are solid rifles. I own the Gen. 1 version, only difference is mine is Keymod the newer version is Mlok.

Building an AR10 isn't nearly as hard as some people in this thread would have you believe. Putting one together isn't cheaper than factory low cost rifles if you actually want it to run well. Most factory low end AR10s have long term durability issues, fortunately most users don't shoot them enough for it to matter.

Building an AR10 isn't nearly as hard as some people in this thread would have you believe. Putting one together isn't cheaper than factory low cost rifles if you actually want it to run well. Most factory low end AR10s have long term durability issues, fortunately most users don't shoot them enough for it to matter.
Please tell us you have almost no experience building Large Frame AR's some more.

Dunning-Kruger in its finest.

agreed it's not nearly as hard as some think.

I'm on my 9th and only one was a problem child. I think I've sold 4 of them here actually.

I only used aero or mega stuff