• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best AR barrel smith price and quality in mind

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Been trying to build my LR308 MK11 pattern rifle and am now looking for a quality barrel maker. I'm looking at a Shilen, Bartlin or Kreiger blank made and cut to 18" and threaded for a muzzle device and matched to a bolt with a rifle length gas port hole. Possibly cerakoted black. Not sure if I'm ok with SS barrel look or want black.

Basically I'm looking to come as close or match the GAP 10s performance in a MK11 style.

My local barrel guy quoted me about $650 for a fully finished Kreiger blank and another $150 to cerakote it black. But with his PMs sounds like he's not that interested in doing the work. Which I don't want to have the work done by someone who's not interested in the work.

I've already contacted kreiger, GAP and Bartlin on going direct but all have said they are backed up on work and have to focus on the orders at hand and are not taking any at the moment.

So do any of you guys have any well priced quality barrel makers? I know if anyone does SH is the place to ask. Just trying to do my research and shop around before I buy.

Last edited:
Check with Paul Craddock at Craddock Precision here: Wix.com craddockprecision created by pa4444 based on pro-bistro

Paul worked his magic at WOA before striking out on his own a while back and I can vouch for the high quality of his work and his desire to make not only good products but to provide his customers with great service before and after the sale. I have had him do a couple barrels for me in the last year and he just within the last week completed an LR-308 pattern barrel for a buddy of mine who I am helping get his rifle built. His work is absolutely top notch and his lead times for custom tubes are some of the best around (my buddy just waited ~6wks from payment to delivery for his LR-308 tube and it is VERY nice...I waited only about a week longer than that for my last AR barrel during the craze earlier this year). Best part...my buddy's LR-308 barrel was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the $650 + $150 your smith quoted you...like half that much! Not sure on his coating prices, but for a Shilen Match SS barrel, chambered/headspaced to my buddy's JP Enhanced .308 bolt, bead blasted stainless, fluted behind the journal, threaded 5/8x24, rifle length gas system, 18", etc. , it was ~$400 IIRC. Paul generally has several different blanks around that he can work for you from Shilen, Douglas, and others, but you'll have to check with him on availability based on the specs you are looking for.

Good luck on your search any way about it and I hope you'll give Paul a shout and at least give him a chance to give you a quote. He's a good man and great to work with for all things AR-barrel related.

Shot your guy and Email well see what he quotes and says.

Thanks for the reply. Great info hopefully he comes through.

Have you tried contacting Mike Rock at Rock creek barrels? i have an AR barrel from him in 300 BO and its top notch. maybe give him a call and see what his backlog is like.

i have also had great luck with TJs gunsmithing (recommended by TBAC for threading etc) but dont know about their other work besides cutting, crowning and threading.

ORD thanks for the info for your buddy. He quoted me about $470 for a finished kreiger if I supplied the blank (guess he's low on blanks in shop) plus $70 for a cerakote if I decided to have it done.

But l think I might go with a Mega 18". My buddy sent me a link to our LGS who's having a 10% off sale on accessories and has these in. Hard to beat a guaranteed Sub 1 MOA barrel for $326 locally and 10% off. Doing some research they are button pressed and supposedly they shilen blanks ready to go in black finish.

Only down side is these seem to be pretty new and there isn't many reviews out on these and the 18" which I want is mid length gassed where the 20" is rifle. Was hoping for a 18" rifle ported.

Again kinda hard to be a guaranteed sub MOA barrel for $300 especially since it's the same shop my receivers are in DROS.

Anyone have any experience or input on the Mega barrels? Also how over gassed will my rifle be with a mid length system if at all on a 18"?

Talk to Dan Lilja, I just emailed him and he said he had 15 18in'/Rifle length gas barrels on the shelf ready to ship as of 2-3 days ago. They will run you about 500$ I think.

Im having an ar upper made by Lee Wells at accurate & reliable right now. 26" krieger. As long as he has a blank he should be able to turn it around in less than a week, and after mine of course lol.

The Rainier Arms Ultra Match grade barrels are first class. They start out as Shilen Select Match grade and are contoured to Rainiers specs.

Im having an ar upper made by Lee Wells at accurate & reliable right now. 26" krieger. As long as he has a blank he should be able to turn it around in less than a week, and after mine of course lol.

To add: My entire upper, with side charging bolt carrier, modified upper, krieger barrel w/ chambering, crown, barrel extension, barrel profiling, matched bolt and woa free float handguard was under $1k. His wilson barrels are really reasonable, and cut rifled saterns and kriegers are pretty decently priced as well. He also answers his phone whenever I call and helped me decide on what to build. Cant ask for much more.

Last edited:
ORD thanks for the info for your buddy. He quoted me about $470 for a finished kreiger if I supplied the blank (guess he's low on blanks in shop) plus $70 for a cerakote if I decided to have it done.

But l think I might go with a Mega 18". My buddy sent me a link to our LGS who's having a 10% off sale on accessories and has these in. Hard to beat a guaranteed Sub 1 MOA barrel for $326 locally and 10% off. Doing some research they are button pressed and supposedly they shilen blanks ready to go in black finish.

Only down side is these seem to be pretty new and there isn't many reviews out on these and the 18" which I want is mid length gassed where the 20" is rifle. Was hoping for a 18" rifle ported.

Again kinda hard to be a guaranteed sub MOA barrel for $300 especially since it's the same shop my receivers are in DROS.

Anyone have any experience or input on the Mega barrels? Also how over gassed will my rifle be with a mid length system if at all on a 18"?

I did an 18.5" barrel (Rock5R) with Rifle gas...used Armalites specs for placement and diameter gas port, and put an adjustable gas block on...my original gas block was a larue and it op'd perfectly with all but the cheapest 7.62 ammo.