• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Ballistic Eyewear for Folks with Huge Heads

lomarx

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2021
Arizona
I will be picking up a new pair of Ballistic Eyewear with a prescription for my readers (prescription will be for just my left eye..no reader correction is required or needed on my right eye which is on the scope ocular) so I can better see my scope level and mil and parallax numbers on my scope and turrets without having to move my head from the cheek rest and put on my damn readers to see numbers on the Turret. ( And please..no peanut gallery comments about me being older now and needing readers or fact that back in your day you didn't need any readers to see the numbers on the turrets or the scope level because you made all your scope adjustments by feel and by sheer God given intuition!)

What Ballistic Eyewear (don't care about price...but looking for glasses with at least MIL-PRF-31013 or an ANSI Z87.1 spec) do you guys recommend for folks with huge heads? The issue I have with almost all Ballistic eyewear I have tried is that even wearing large size frames; the end of the frame arms eat into my skull right above the back of my ear..especially when I have my Walker Razors on.

I will use this pair of Ballistic Eyewear 80% of the time with my Long Range rifle from either a prone or sitting position so my my cheek will be on cheekrest a consistent distance from the scope ocular but I may use in a standing position with AR15 from time to time as well when using the Low Power Scope to be able to see easier to adjust the turrets. I don't need any type of readers etc when not using scopes or using handgun.

Last edited:
Like some others, I have a pumpkin head and wear Gatorz.

I use the photochromic lens style so the darken up when exposed to brighter light. Frames are adjustable so if they feel too tight, just bend them out a bit. I have not touched mine and I have not had an issue.

I like the Oakley Det Cord safety glasses and they’re z87 rated. I’ve had good luck with them and I have a hard time with most glasses fitting.

If you want to deal with inserts, Revision Sawfly, Smith Aegis Echo II or Pivlock Echo Elite. They have thinner arms than most eye pro.

Like some others, I have a pumpkin head and wear Gatorz.

I use the photochromic lens style so the darken up when exposed to brighter light. Frames are adjustable so if they feel too tight, just bend them out a bit. I have not touched mine and I have not had an issue.
@Hairball
What about when you wear your hearing protection over your ears while wearing Gatorz...are the arms kind of tight agaisnt your head when you wear Gatorz for more than say half hour or so with hearing protection?

I like the Oakley Det Cord safety glasses and they’re z87 rated. I’ve had good luck with them and I have a hard time with most glasses fitting.
I read up on these and it says they have "comms compatible ear stems". How do those work on these glasses?

4E1016A9-4481-4E7C-978C-696B6C1E4D9D.jpeg

@Hairball
What about when you wear your hearing protection over your ears while wearing Gatorz...are the arms kind of tight agaisnt your head when you wear Gatorz for more than say half hour or so with hearing protection?
I have worn them for several hours under my MSA muffs with the gel cups and I don’t have any pressure points or ear pain. Maybe someone else will check in with their experience and have a different perspective but mine have no issues. I will be at the range in the morning and wearing them while the line is hot for a few hours

Reactions: lomarx
Sorry, couldn't resist....but it does seem like it will fit a BIG head, right? haha
1619279498424.png

I use Randolph Engineering Rangers. Not sure just how wide a head they fit, but I shot skeet for many years with this fella Bobby Uknalis (HOF skeet shooter.... we shot together because we were friends...not my shooting, I sucked haha) and he has a head the size of a watermelon and he ran RE's. This is him in the middle....your head bigger than this (compare to the heads of the rest of us pin heads! haha

Harry Wright Squad.jpg

This guy sells a variety of top end shooting glasses, is a very good vendor, and may be of help if you describe the width of your head..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
Big head fuckers unite.

Some Wiley X are decent sized, don't know the models but I think most glasses sites show measurements

Anybody got a recommendation for ballistic eyewear that is "unmagnified" on top, but has a 1.5 reader bifocal on the bottom? All these recommendations seem to skip the "bifocal reader" part, at least in the links I've followed.

Anybody got a recommendation for ballistic eyewear that is "unmagnified" on top, but has a 1.5 reader bifocal on the bottom? All these recommendations seem to skip the "bifocal reader" part, at least in the links I've followed.
If the billion sites on google don't lead anywhere then maybe it doesn't exist

Shit ton of sites pop up if you google "bifocal shooting glasses"

Thanks ... that's very helpful.
I mean if you can't google you're beyond help.

The first site I randomly clicked had what you needed. You aren't even the OP, but what we suggest isn't good enough for you.

I mean if you can't google you're beyond help.

The first site I randomly clicked had what you needed. You aren't even the OP, but what we suggest isn't good enough for you.
Was thinking a recommendation would be nice ... but OK.
Went with these ... well-reviewed and seemed to be good quality ... had a Veteran Discount too.