• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bang for your buck 6.5 creedmoor barrel for ar10?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
What would you guys say would be your best bang for your buck barrel for an ar10?

Thanks

We bought a Ballistic Advantage 6.5 barrel because it was ridic cheap on sale. I figured why not give it a shot at that price. It’s a damn laser. Had an issue where copper was building up on the gas port and causing weird shots but once I figured it out and got it cleaned off it was back to 0.5. Sample of 1 but I’d definitely try it again.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Same experience in precision with the BA barrels. I’ve posted numerous sub half moa 5 shots groups @ 100yds and it never really goes above 3/4moa unless I’m having an off day. It’s heavier than some would like, but it’s been a great barrel for the price.

My choice would be the BA 6.5 CM barrels as well. Typically shoots between .5 and .7 moa with once in awhile sub .5 moa groups. I've got 3 barrels from them and all 3 perform the same. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

LOL. I was going to say BA as well. Dollar for dollar it’s not close. Built a 16” .308 last year that shoots .5-.8 MOA with FGMM.

+1 for ba, but don’t discount Faxon, their stuff shoots! The Faxon barrels tend to be a touch lighter is why I started using them in my builds, but they are a little be more money, so for a budget shooter in 6.5, probably ballistic advantage.

Thanks guys, with the BA barrel. Would you get the fluted premium or the premium? I assume the fluted premium is just fluted.

I have 3 Ballistic Advantage barrels. The 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10 barrel shoots in the .5s with hand loads just as others above have experienced. Very happy with this barrel. I was so happy with it that I bought other expecting similar results. The other two barrels, both AR-15 barrels, in 6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC shoot 1.1 to 1.5 MOA with factory loads and hand-loads no matter how much effort I put into load development.

There are a lot of guys who will say that 1 MOA accuracy out of the AR-15 platform is great but I have found that with good barrels, solid shooting fundamentals, good support equipment (trigger, bipod, rear bag, optic, accu-wedge & etc.) and well made ammo that .5 MOA is consistently achievable.

My experience may be more mixed than others, and, as such, I would give BA an average review rather than a glowing endorsement.

Henryrifle

I have a 20" Proof Research CF 6.5 that when shot out I plan to swap with a PR Steel barrel. They seem to shoot very well for the cost.

I might have to look at BA now.

Thanks guys, with the BA barrel. Would you get the fluted premium or the premium? I assume the fluted premium is just fluted.
if you can afford the fluted version, i'd get that, because, as mentioned in an anothers' earlier reply, BA barrels are a little on the heavier side, when compared to, say, Faxon, Criterion (non-bull barrels). Any weight reduction you can get built-in at the start is good.

IMHO... don't try to squeeze to much bang for your buck on a barrel purchase.
It is the most important purchase you make for a firearm.
Honestly, a very good barrel is a bargain in this age of 80ish dollar charging handles, pretty expensive triggers and current ammo prices.

My 2 cents...Spend a little more, and buy a well respected brand barrel... any additional dollars spent on a barrel... will just be saving compared to the ammo dollars spent trying to make a bargain barrel shoot to your expectations.

And no offense to BA .. seriously. I just really think for a 100+ bucks more... you will get great value out of that 100 bucks more.
Heck.. ammo price wise.. 100 bucks is 100 rds of quality ammo... and many of us could readily fire that much ammo trying to make a barrel shoot.

Just wondering, what would you recommend that is $100 dollars worth it over the BA barrel?

I've been hearing good things about Criterian barrels barrels, I have not used one yet though. I have had both proof and Krieger and the ones I have owned have been top notch great shooters, but they do cost alot.

I've had all sorts barrels from cheap , mid, and high end manufactures, the cheaper it is the less chance that it will be a shooter, but every now and then you get lucky. Years ago I had a cheapy ar stoner barrel that shot lights out, a friend of mine bought the same exact model and it didnt shoot anything like the the barrel I had. The real funny thing about that barrel that I had years ago had all sorts of bad tooling marks on it, was slightly out of spec dia around the gas block area, but it still shot great.

Here is a 6 shot group I shot with it with my nosler handloads at 100 yards, I had a flyer but that was my fault.

Attachments

• 2013-02-11_15-37-39_642.jpg
    2013-02-11_15-37-39_642.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Just wondering, what would you recommend that is $100 dollars worth it over the BA barrel?

A BA barrel and 100$ worth of ammo!!

I haven’t had great luck with their grendel barrels, but I’ve seen several of the 6.5creeds that shoot lights out. They’d be better if they had a +2 gas system, but they shoot great.

With the ballistic advantage barrel. I've been trying to determine what barrel length to use.

Now I am hearing about the gas tube length, and +2 lengths, and that rifle length gas systems are not good on 22" length.

Since the Ballistic advantage 6.5 creed moor barrels are all rifle length gas systems, you can't get a 22" +2. What would be the best barrel length to get?

The rifle length gas 22inch 6.5 Creedmoor ballistic advantage barrel will function just fine with an adjustable gas block. I have one that is very accurate and cycles fine without beating up factory brass.