• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best barrel vise for carbon fibre barrels

Macca

Straya
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2012
So which would be the best vise for carbon fibre barrels?
Or is there a better way like machining flats?
The new SAC vise looks the cat’s meow but spendy.

Thanks Dave,
So would any vise do,as long as it clamped the steel chamber section?

The only way to correctly torque a CF barrel is to clamp on the exposed steel chamber section. If you hold it any other place you will twist the steel core which breaks the bond between the barrel and the CF wrap. That may not matter to some but it matters to me.

Do you have any pointers for someone with a non-Quick Change AI? The front of the chassis blocks the viper vise from fitting around the chamber end.

I made a special block that will clear the chassis. I use it in a 20 ton automotive press. That press has been my barrel vise for 20+ years.

Would you mind sharing a picture of it?

here you go. 2X2X1 with a jack screw.
1537969487933.png

Reactions: phlegm
Sorry to revive, but I’ve seen a lot of suggestions for the Viper barrel vise. From what I can tell they only accommodate a barrel up to 1” and the exposed steel chamber section on the proof carbon pre-fits is 1.20”. Has anyone used this vise on this barrel with success? I might have ordered to hastily and now might need to cancel.

The PSA vice has 2 sides to accommodate larger dia barrels. Note, that you don’t always have the option to clamp on the collar. I swapped proof barrels in a deadLine ultimatum action and needed to clamp on the carbon. I wrapped one or two post-it notes around the barrel and no lasting mark was made. I saw a video of a guy who took a proof barrel off a gun, beat a cinder block to dust with it and proceeded to shoot a decent group after installing the barrel. The 70 foot pounds to torque a barrel isn’t going to delaminate the proof barrel, certainly didn’t seem to in my usage.

The PSA vice has 2 sides to accommodate larger dia barrels. Note, that you don’t always have the option to clamp on the collar. I swapped proof barrels in a deadLine ultimatum action and needed to clamp on the carbon. I wrapped one or two post-it notes around the barrel and no lasting mark was made. I saw a video of a guy who took a proof barrel off a gun, beat a cinder block to dust with it and proceeded to shoot a decent group after installing the barrel. The 70 foot pounds to torque a barrel isn’t going to delaminate the proof barrel, certainly didn’t seem to in my usage.

Ok. I was asking specifically about the Viper Vise though and if anyone has used it to put on a 1.2” proof carbon before. I’ve already ordered the vise and am now trying to figure out if I need to cancel.

This discussion indicates it’s sucessful use with 1.32” barrels

Reactions: dwent
This discussion indicates it’s sucessful use with 1.32” barrels

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I saw a couple other places mentioning up to 1” which I thought was odd.

It will “pinch” the barrel at 4 points as opposed to perfectly mate, but there was no damage in my case. Should be no issue if you clamp the metal band.

Sorry to revive, but I’ve seen a lot of suggestions for the Viper barrel vise. From what I can tell they only accommodate a barrel up to 1” and the exposed steel chamber section on the proof carbon pre-fits is 1.20”. Has anyone used this vise on this barrel with success? I might have ordered to hastily and now might need to cancel.
Yes, I installed my proof carbon fiber full sendero with my viper vise with no issues

Reactions: dwent
This is what I did with my 4 bolt vise to keep off the carbon fiber.
2 straps of leather stacked for spacers top and bottom and use the front bolts only.
IMG_0495a.JPG

IMG_0497a.JPG

Reactions: DIBBS and Halfnutz
This is what I did with my 4 bolt vise to keep off the carbon fiber.
2 straps of leather stacked for spacers top and bottom and use the front bolts only.
View attachment 7479287
View attachment 7479289

I run two pieces of loose leather, top and bottom with my Viper and Proof barrels. I also use a little rosin on both sides of rhe leather to keep it from slipping.

I had the viper barrel vise and it just didnt cut it regardless of what I used to help "grip" the metal. I ended up buying the SAC bravo barrel vise and the drywall tape and it works fantastic. Wont use anything else at this point. They have a black friday sale coming up on the 27th for 20% off. Just a heads up...

I had the viper barrel vise and it just didnt cut it regardless of what I used to help "grip" the metal. I ended up buying the SAC bravo barrel vise and the drywall tape and it works fantastic. Wont use anything else at this point. They have a black friday sale coming up on the 27th for 20% off. Just a heads up...
I’ll definitely look into that since I was just about to order the viper. It seems vipers are hit or miss.