• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best barrel?

308mike

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2011
Burt, Iowa
ok, lets hear your opinions. I am foing to rebarrel my long action 700 308. I have a shilen chromemoly on it right now. would like to know who has the most consistant accurrate barrels with the best round count life( the stainless select match and the kreiger) are availible on the shelf right now

Re: best barrel?

Any of the top name barrels are going to be very good.

Lothar Walther makes the hardest steel barrels in the industry. They MAY last a bit longer, but really, with a .308 you are going to shoot YEARS before needing a new barrel.

Too many variables to speak to barrel life but stick with a good barrel company and you will be fine. I like Bartlein stainless barrels alot but Kreiger, Rock etc will work well too.

Talk to a rifle builder that you have faith in. Asking a general question on a forum will get you many differing opinions. My local gun guru gave me the name of the preferred barrel that he exclusively uses for his builds. I have seen what his rifles will do, so I have confidence in the parts he builds with.

well i do shoot alot i had this rifle built in march and i am now at 3000 plus counted those are the ones i counted and id do shoot some that i have not counted so i am lookin for longevity in a barrel is there a barrel life differance in how the rifleings are cut in these two barrels if not i will stick with the shilen it has given me outstanding accuracy. not braggin but it shoots an inch or under at 300 five shoot groups, one gunsmith tells me that the shilen barrel has a short life do to how the riflings are cut is this true?

Their are so many good barrel makers now, so you have quite a few to choose from.

As already stated LW barrels are know to last a long time and are quite accurite, they are hammer forged I believe, which makes them work hardened and they also use a special steel.

The best in terms of accuricy would be any top end barrel maker, if they are hand lapped even better.

I would say go cut rifled but several guys like Lilja are getting great results out of hand lapped button rifled barrels.

Here is who I would choose from: Obermeyer, Krieger, Rock, Lilja, Bartlein, or Douglas.

Price and lead time would determine my decision in the end, all of thoes listed make an excelent barrel.

i called shilen and they said the (gilded edge) accuracy on there barrel is only 800 rounds so maybe the kreiger is the way to go it is also cheaper than the shilen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i called shilen and they said the (gilded edge) accuracy on there barrel is only 800 rounds so maybe the kreiger is the way to go it is also cheaper than the shilen </div></div>

In this do they not mean the absolute best and after that it falls away gently. I would have thought all barrels do this as every shot is wearing it away.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Not</span> this one:

crazy-inventions-of-the-past0-1298270969.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i called shilen and they said the (gilded edge) accuracy on there barrel is only 800 rounds so maybe the kreiger is the way to go it is also cheaper than the shilen </div></div>
Not to start a pissing contest or "shit on" anyone, but I would NOT recomend sending your rifle to Shilen to do the actual install. If you choose to use one of their blanks thats fine, just get their premium blank. I have seen on 2 seperate occasions some pretty shitty gunsmithing coming out of their shop. One time a barrel was only rough chambered and never finished chambered (new factory ammo would not come close to chamber). The other time a .223 chamber had excessive head space that was fing up brass, it was sent back to be rechambered to 22-250 and you could see they used a tighter neck to chamber the 22-250 and you could see a ring on the neck of the 22-250 brass from the larger neck of hte .223. Like I said not to shit on Shilen just wanted to save some ass pains for ya.

I would also recomend finding the gunsmith you want to use and see what barrel they like to use. It will be easier to sort out any issues if there is an accuracy problem b/c they already have a good working relationship with that barrel mfg. But as stated before all the big names are very good.

I'll throw my vote in the ring for Krieger, Rock, Lilja and Bartlein. All of these have treated me very well.

I own Kreiger, pac nor, and schneider, wouldn't say a bad word about any of them.

Rock Creeks are known for their really well done hand lapped insides.

All listed above are very good barrels. Everyone has their own opinion on who is best. I have seen most of these in action and I can't say I have seen a bad one. I have a Hart barrel on one of mine and it also shoots very well. The most popular are the cut rifling barrels.

I have a krieger, a Pac-nor and several Benchmark, all are great, the Daniel defense not so much, good but not great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
farmsniper said:
I would also recomend finding the gunsmith you want to use and see what barrel they like to use. It will be easier to sort out any issues if there is an accuracy problem b/c they already have a good working relationship with that barrel mfg. </div></div>

This is good advise.

I have had a few custom barrels over the years. To date only one of them would consistantly shoot a clean cold bore shot in the rest of the group. The change in POI (in between loads) for most loads that I have tested varies typically less than .75 inch @100. There is essentially no shift in several loads that I have tested. I have never had a rifle before that would do that. I also have several loads that will shoot under 1.5 inches at 300. The barrel is a Bartlein 5R in .308.

When I do another custom rifle, I know which barrel I will be using. YMMV.

Arrive as close as you can to what you wish to have in:
twist
contour
weight
length
type / number of lands and grooves
method of rifling; hammer, button, etc.
nationality
Then you will have arrived at the maker and it won't matter.

well theres a name here i dont see and budy the f class shooter ryan pierce tells me i need to shoot a brux. anybody shootin one?

Kreiger, known for being meticulously hand lapped and bore typically always concentric to the exterior dimensions,I've got a few gunsmith buddies and believe me,from what I've heard bore indicators are needed because of this, as some barrels aren't.Rock, Lilja,Obermyer, and Brux are other good ones even though I get good accuracy out of my Shilen CM has yet to dissapoint,yes a Shilen. Just my .02 cents.Goodshootin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well theres a name here i dont see and budy the f class shooter ryan pierce tells me i need to shoot a brux. anybody shootin one? </div></div>
Brux fan here.

Schneider. I have 5 Schneider (5P) barrels, and I have no reason to go to a different maker.

Nobody really for Hart, huh?

I ordered a barrel from them and they told me 5 weeks. I called after 6 and they gave like 9 excuses and said it would be another 6 at least... I canceled my order, but I see here that Hart has only been mentioned one time of all the replies

If you believe that cut rifle barrels are the way to go then I can recommend: Krieger, Obermeyer, Chanlynn, Rock, Bartlein.

If you prefer button rifled then I can recommend Lilja, schneider

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: farmsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im gonna order a brux it'll be ready in sept. that sucks but nice weather to sight it in. </div></div>

Why not order from bugholes? He has plenty of brux and rock creek barrels in stock ready to go

Look up the name on user list.

I just bought a barrel from him. He has bunch of barrels in stock ready to go!

+1 for bugholes. I tried a Brux on a 22-250 that I had built this spring by Chad Dixon and so far I am very happy with it. Have right at 400 rounds through it and haven't cleaned it once since I started shooting it and it still holds .5 MOA. Very pleased with it.

Shilens shoot much, much more than 800 rounds. Shilen is also about $80-100 cheaper. Bruno Shooters Supply has them for about $240.

I got my Bartlein 308 from bughole and it is the best barrel I have ever owned. It will shoot everything great.

I know Bartlein barrels have a long wait but it is well worth it to me.

I have no complaints about my Hart barrel other than it being button rifled. Still very high quality hand lapped barrel and accurate as any. I wish it were fluted and wont take the chance on a button rifled barrel.

It's really hard to say. The top barrel makers all put out great product. I've been happy with all the barrels I've used, Krieger, Bartlein etc. It's usually just up to my reloading and shooting practices.

Kreiger is one of the best, and not having to wait is nice. You won't regret it. Anyone think of anything bad to say about Kreiger? I would be suprised.

i di go with the kreiger because of no wait and talked my dad into one to the at the smith getting rebarreled as we speak and will have them back in a month or so thanks for all the input