• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best base for the money?

tpayne

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Just got my 700 and was wondering what the best base for the money is. Shooting out to 800 with 308

Re: Best base for the money?

The difference in the size of a 0 MOA base vs a 20 MOA base is hard to even see. Get the 20 MOA base and it will give you some extra elevation. That will enable you to either have the extra elevation if your scope is light on elevation, or if your scope already has plenty, will enable you to shoot farther.

As far as brands, one is just as good as the next up in the 100+ dollar range. Seekins, Badger, Nightforce all make good bases. EGW makes a decent base for about 60% of the price.

Rich

I have been using Leupold one piece mounts and rings in the past but in the recent past I put together a Savage Model 12 VLP .223 for my daughter and decided to try the DNZ mounts. I was VERY impressed with the quality and workmanship. Ring alignment and lapping was not an issue with the DNZ mount. It was very easy to install and is a VERY solid mount.

I like the DNZ mount I put on my daughter's rifle so well I got a DNZ Tactical 20 MOA mount for my Savage Model 12 VLP DBM 300 WSM. This mount was MUCH more beefy and used 4 grade 8 scope ring screws as opposed to the 2 on my daughter's mount. It was a good bit more pricey but well worth the money in my opinion.

DNZ makes a similar tactical mount for your 700, depending upon scope size and finish, take your pick:

http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_54

Probably not the name brand associated with this line of rifle use but DNZ makes a real fine scope mount in my opinion. I have use EAW Apel, Steyr, Leupold, Picatiny rail type, and some other mount systems and my favorite is DNZ. YMMV

I've used Seekins, US Optics, EGW and Nightforce with no complaints. Definitely recommend 20 moa.

Seekins 20 MOA

Some of the others (Badger, Nightforce, USO) are good, but Seekins is top quality, reasonably priced and I see no reason to have the extra weight of a steel base.