• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best base rifle for a precision .22LR bolt action?

cgv69

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Boone Co., KY
I would like to build a tactical style precision trainer rifle. I would like it to be bolt action and obviously .22LR. Money is tight and would like to do the whole gun for no more then $1k (maybe a little over with optics?). This would also need to be a long term project meaning I would buy and shoot the rifle in factory form and then upgrade it as time\money\necessity dictates. What that means is, I would like the base rifle to be a fairly decent shooter with a nice trigger right out of the box.

I would love to start with a Remington 40x but money wise I don’t see that happening and would rather have a repeater anyway. I’ve looked at some of the other Remington options but none of them struck me as a good option. I know Winchester 52’s are also very nice but price wise they will be pushing it too.

The 2 rifles that I am interested in and seem doable are the CZ 452\3 or a Sako Quad. I know the CZ’s are shooters but there doesn’t seem to be as much after market supports for them (such as stocks and barrels, etc.) as I’d like to see? The one I'm really looking at right now is the Sako Quad but I honestly don’t know a lot about them. I do like the quick change barrel feature (assuming it doesn’t hamper accuracy?) and I see that Whitakers (which is in driving distance for me) has them in stock for $450. Not sure about the trigger on them or what the options are to improve it if its not up to snuff? How accurate are these guns typically straight out of the box? What about magazines? Are they all 5 round mags and how hard\expensive are they to get? How reliable are the mags?

So what can you guys tell me about the Sako Quad? Is it a good option? Is there a better option that I should be looking at?

Re: Best base rifle for a precision .22LR bolt action?

I've not shot a Sako quad but I do own a CZ 452.
Cost wise you cant beat a CZ 452 varmit. With match ammo it shoots on par with my 40x. I think with decent glass you could come in under your budget.
But I do agree with you concerning the lack of aftermarket doodads for them. The five round mag is ok, but I went ahead and bought 2 10rd mags for it, but they are a bit pricey for being plastic, IIRC they were about 28.00 on Midway's site when I got mine.
But the dang things flat out shoot. I think either way you will have fun.

cgv69,

I do not own either a CZ nor a Sako Quad. I have heard good things about both. However, two rifles that should be on your list are:

Anschutz 1416 D HB .22lr @ around $825 new. This is the heavy barreled version of the old Model 64. Great trigger and accurate, out of the box. My son owns one of these, and although it will push your price range with optics, you would be hard pressed to find a better shooting new rifle, for under $1000.

Another rifle you should consider, but it is not in current production, is a Kimber Hunter Silhouette .22lr. I have one of these, and it's accurate, and has a great trigger. They run about $700-$750 in lightly used condition on Gunbroker.

Kimber, as well as Anschutz, have made a bunch of other models, that would also be suitable, and can be found on the used market. All Kimber and Anschutz rimfires, that I have used or seen used have possessed great triggers, and sterling accuracy. But the heavy barrel versions from both manufacturers are what your after.

Best of luck,

Bob

cgv69 I've got a CZ 453 varmit that I'm going to be selling. Just not listed it yet because I've not taken any decent pictures. It's like new and comes with the CZ 1 inch rings and a one shot magazine adaptor. If your interested PM me and I'll give you the low down on her. Donald

The CZ/453 will definetly shoot, My good friend VTR has one and it is amazing. Has some of the best looking wood on a factory gun I've seen in a long time.
I think I seen a post where one of the major stock companies may be going to inlet for them.

I recently got a sako 17 mach 2 quad and it shoots very well. No knowledge of how the 22 LR shoots. I was able to buy some extra magazines from Whittakers and a picatinny rail from Rimfire Technologies. The bolt knob is from American Precision Arms.

Before
Before.jpg

After GAP camo
after.jpg

sako.jpg

WEH.jpg

Guys, thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the Sako for a number of reasons but one of the most compelling reasons right now is the fact that Beretta will no longer be importing them and the supply is drying up. I figure I better get one now while there are still some to be gotten and I can always pick up a CZ 452 later on. Thanks again

Quick question, are those Sako quad barrels user replaceable? Meaning no gunsmith involved?
Thanks. Don't mean thread jack but gotta ask
smile.gif

Re: Best base rifle for a precision .22LR bolt act

I've owned the CZ452, Savage BTVS, Remy 504T, Ruger 880SQ, and the Sako Quad in the past.

...the safe still has TWO Sako Quads (one still NIB from Whittakers for future build), one Quad is in manners stock with all the trimmings, and the BTVS.

For short money on a gun that will shoot, my vote would go to the Savage Mark II's.

For a bit more money, the Quad has a user-adjustable trigger that is nearly as nice as the Sako TRG-22 (VERY VERY NICE!!!), is very accurate right out of the box, lots of aftermarket parts/pieces when the budget allows customization, etc.

I have about $2,700 into my quad as pictured but it shot great right out of the box at $450 + scope:
t4quad.jpg

I think I have shot them all in .22LR and .22Mag, but mostly I have shot a .22/.410 over and under made by Savage and given to me for my 10th birthday. One of my brothers has an Anschutz 1416 that I like well, but some of the country boys around here might look at me like I had on nail polish if I came out of the woods with 6 squirrels and the Olympic gun. I had a Savage .22Mag for awhile that busted quite a few whistle pigs, but I sold it one Christmas when I was younger so that I could get some whiskey and hookers.

-correction - Have not shot the Sako

But you are talking about a precision trainer. With $1,000 you can really pick and choose. I suggest you find and drive to a range that has a variety for rent that you can handle and shoot to make your decision.

For the money, right out of the box, I think the CZ452Amer is the shit that killed Elvis...

Oxymoron.
Want the best, but have limited money!
Need training rifle.

If you just want to use 22 as training, get a rem, and shoot 22 shoots with it.

Buying quality match 22 ammo negates the cost factor.

Both are fun though.

my.02