• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best binocular tripod adapter?

flyer

Unicorn hunter
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
I am trying to make a modular system for my shooting gear where I can take the bare minimum of gear or add pieces which will work independently or together in whichever configuration I choose.

My full heavy range day setup will be a sturdy tripod with a gimbal style mount carrying a 90mm spotting scope with binoviewer, Sig Kilo 3000 BDX LRF binoculars and a Trijicon MRO red dot, all co-witnessed and a Kestrel 5700 in a vane mount.

A minimal load out would be just the binocular LRF or nothing at all if I know my shot is going to be within point blank range.

My goal is to be able to choose my load out and quickly assemble it using ARCA clamps and other QD clamps to maintain alignment so that my MRO will be usable as a finder and after I've used my fine adjust to line up my LRF, my spotting scope will be aimed at the same spot so I can go back and fourth between ranging and spotting without having to adjust my mount.

So what is a good binocular QD that will hopefully return to zero?

My incoming Sig LRF binoculars have a 1/4-20 mount in the bridge. I would like to use that or a tray style if that has any amount of return to zero.

I will probably be attaching the mount to a "cheese plate".

I just received my kilo 3000 bdx binoculars a couple of days ago and was disappointed that there wasn’t any tripod adapter spot on it. Other than that I’m very happy with them. Ranged out to 4079 yards without a tripod to hold it steady.

I just received my kilo 3000 bdx binoculars a couple of days ago and was disappointed that there wasn’t any tripod adapter spot on it. Other than that I’m very happy with them. Ranged out to 4079 yards without a tripod to hold it steady.
The pictures I have seen of the Kilo 3000 BDX show a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the bridge.

I decided to go with Outdoorsmans. They said their generic stud adapter fits the Kilo 3000 BDX and my Vanguard Endeavor ED so I bought two.

They suggested the tall tripod adapter too.

Reactions: 737LRD
The 1/4 20 mount is under a cover that on the front of the hinge. It threads off and underneath is the mount.

How about turning the new A-D Precision, Precision Shooting Platform (PSP) into a Ranging and Observation Platform (ROP)?

Spotter, LRF, and Red Dot are all co-aligned.

Drill a hole or holes in the plate anywhere you need to mount something, and it's right where you need it. No more trying to make your equipment fit on something that already has pre-drilled holes.

Picture shows a Leupold Mark 4 Spotter in a KDG Optics Hub, and attached directly via 1/4-20 hex cap machine screws. The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro is attached to a M-Lok compatible Picatinny rail, mounted to the Optics Hub. The Terrapin has a RRS disconnect plate mounted to it, and clamps to the Platform via RRS SC-LR clamp.
With this setup, it's very easy to co-align everything.

The platform has a Acra/RRS compatible disconnect plate, and is threaded 3/8-16 for direct connection to systems with threaded studs.

IMG_20190401_170052349~2.jpg
IMG_20190401_165842683~2.jpg
IMG_20190401_165728037~3.jpg
IMG_20190401_165740406~2.jpg
IMG_20190401_165932442~2.jpg

Last edited:
That's one way to go, but it doesn't have a good way to mount a Kestrel in a weather vane mount, it won't stay vertical.

I want to use cheese plate because it's a common standard, if I figure it out it will be easy to copy, very modular and easily packable.

My gimbal mount will let me level the base and then the Kestrel vane mount can attach to the arm which pans and my cheese plate will attach to the tilt arm and carry the optics. I plan to do scope below and binoculars above so I just have to look up from the spotter to use the LRF and just tilt my head to the side to use the finder.

This will also let me balance the assembly in the gimbal so it won't need a lot of drag to maintain aim.

Swarovski has a gimbal mount for their BTX spotting scopes they just don't have a way to co-wittnessed to other optics or a Kestrel vane mount. It's also really expensive.

I have no idea why other people haven't put it all together yet. To use all of the functionality you would be tripping over 2-3 tripods and moving around a lot.

The Kestrel weather vane kit attaches on a 1/4-20 stud. Just run a all-thread extension on top of the plate to the hight you need and attach the kit.

If I mount the Kestrel to the cheese plate, I won't be able to adjust the elevation of the scope/LRF without tilting the weather vane axis and screwing up the wind direction reading.

I tried to find an image I can upload but no one uses jpeg anymore.

It's basically a 3/8" or 10mm thick anodized aluminum plate with a 9mm square hole pattern of many 1/4-20 holes, slots and 3/8-16 holes for attaching to tripods and photographic accessories. It's called a cheese plate because it looks like Swiss cheese with all of the holes.

There are some "tactical" versions that have M-LOK slots and other features but they cost a lot. I want to use a $20 generic cheese plate and hardware that won't break the bank. It's not complicated, there is no reason that it has to be expensive.

Reactions: Alpine 338
If I mount the Kestrel to the cheese plate, I won't be able to adjust the elevation of the scope/LRF without tilting the weather vane axis and screwing up the wind direction reading.

You can mount one of those cheese plate peices that are long and narrow to the top of your tripod, run it out to one side and mount that price of all-thread up from there. Then mount your head on top of the cheese plate, centered over the tripod. The cheese plate that holds the weathervane stays plumb, and the stuff mounted on top of that will be able to pan and tilt without impacting the weathervane.

Check out the abletable. Lots of ways you can go with it for mounting items. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can get a 1/4 rod to raise the Hight of the kestrel weather vane.

I put the title of your post on Google, and I found a lot of such articles: best binocular tripod adapter.
I have read this article carefully, which mainly introduces two types of adapters, support type and platform type. In terms of versatility, platform-based adapters are better.

Another vote for the Outdoorsmans. I ordered a stud and the tall adapter for my Zeiss Victory RF’s and couldn’t be happier with the set up. Top quality.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I am trying to make a modular system for my shooting gear where I can take the bare minimum of gear or add pieces which will work independently or together in whichever configuration I choose.

My full heavy range day setup will be a sturdy tripod with a gimbal style mount carrying a 90mm spotting scope with binoviewer, Sig Kilo 3000 BDX LRF binoculars and a Trijicon MRO red dot, all co-witnessed and a Kestrel 5700 in a vane mount.

A minimal load out would be just the binocular LRF or nothing at all if I know my shot is going to be within point blank range.

My goal is to be able to choose my load out and quickly assemble it using ARCA clamps and other QD clamps to maintain alignment so that my MRO will be usable as a finder and after I've used my fine adjust to line up my LRF, my spotting scope will be aimed at the same spot so I can go back and fourth between ranging and spotting without having to adjust my mount.

So what is a good binocular QD that will hopefully return to zero?

My incoming Sig LRF binoculars have a 1/4-20 mount in the bridge. I would like to use that or a tray style if that has any amount of return to zero.

I will probably be attaching the mount to a "cheese plate".

Got a picture of that rig? I'm curious how you're running the Kestrel vane mount.

What height are you guys using on the Outdoorsman mount? I'm running 15x56 Forges.

Short works great on the Meopta 15's.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping. The mount that came with the Forges is kind of flimsy. I bought the Vortex mount and its a little better not much. Hoping the shorter style mount would be more rigid.

A bit of a thread resurrect, but trying to figure out how to get an outdoorsman setup to play nice with Arca Swiss? Looks like it’s been done by some of you. See pic for reference.
354D8372-BF2A-49BC-A082-5955C89A3EF0.jpeg

I don’t have that one but is there no way to thread it onto an arca plate?

I don’t have that one but is there no way to thread it onto an arca plate?

the sportsman mount has a dovetail bottom that is clamped into the micro ball head

9F7D2BA9-9C1F-4229-AE31-03BDB2A806C6.jpeg

Field Optics Research Rapid Release Binocular Tripod Adapter Gen 2
1596560210809.png

• Tool-less quick release separation from binocular.
  • Adapter base is directly compatible with Arca Swiss, Manfrotto 200PL and 1/4-20 tripod heads (no QR adapter plate required).
  • Made from high strength hard anondized 6063-T6 Aluminium, CNC construction.
  • Very affordable. Compare with others at $ 125-$ 160.
  • Additional receiver nuts are available.
  • Leaves no protruding parts when hanging on your chest.
  • Life Time Guarantee.

I have a field optics research mount and it sucks it has a ton of wobble. Very hard to watch trace and spot impacts in any wind. I would definitely get something else

Shout out for the Outdoorsmans binocular adapter. There are a lot of options and many were cheaper but I am totally impressed with this one.
I have the Vortex Fury AB binos and Outdoorsmans recommended the tall adapter and the universal stud. This setup is very solid. I bought an inexpensive Neewer arca plate to attach into my Anvil 30 ballhead. This works great for quickly acquiring a target and then is very stable for ranging. And I trust it enough to fold up the tripod legs and carry with the binos still attached to the adapter. Perfect for field matches.

Two options I didn’t see unless I’ve overlooked them.
Confirmed w/ Sig 3000BDX:

Unconfirmed but many seem to like it:

I ran the outdoorsman for years and this past season switched to the RRS clamp on version. WAY better, no little extra part to carry or drop or loose and the binos still fit in my chest rig with the clamp on them. Just an awesome little set up, and if you ever upgrade your binos you dont need new parts.

I ran the outdoorsman for years and this past season switched to the RRS clamp on version. WAY better, no little extra part to carry or drop or loose and the binos still fit in my chest rig with the clamp on them. Just an awesome little set up, and if you ever upgrade your binos you dont need new parts.

^^ this

Bought the Outdoorsman and gotta say I don’t get all the snipershide rage.. not at all. Waste of money if you ask me.

Got the strap/clamp version now.