• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Binos $500 or less (10x42)

Hundo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
I have a pair of Leupold I paid about $300 for, but thinking about upgrading a little. Wish I had a $1500 budget, but I just dropped $400 on a pair of Kentrek hunting boots.

IMO, the Meopta Meopro 10x42 is a best buy under $500.00. You may also want to consider the Kowa BD42-10XD 10x42mm Prominar XD Binoculars as a very close 2nd (and we are running a forum member special on these so please give a call, 516-3217-1000 for this special pricing. I am out of the store today, back Monday, however, Neil and Joel are in today.
Have a great weekend

IMO, the Meopta Meopro 10x42 is a best buy under $500.00. You may also want to consider the Kowa BD42-10XD 10x42mm Prominar XD Binoculars as a very close 2nd (and we are running a forum member special on these so please give a call, 516-3217-1000 for this special pricing. I am out of the store today, back Monday, however, Neil and Joel are in today.
Have a great weekend
Doug I have heard that this is a good set of binos. I have heard that Cabela's branded this model and has sold a bunch. I will have to try them.

Do some searching and locate a set of used Swaros. Open up your options a bit to include 8x32 and it will shorten the search. Might still be a bit over your budget but you will be happy you did wait and save if you use them a lot. A bit easier to find in your budget would be the Leica/Leitz. Very good glass. I once purchased a new in box unused 10x40 EL for 500 from a raffle winner. Deals on high quality binoculars are not hard to find. Guys will lay down a fortune on rifles, scopes, ammo and booze but most will not buy a good binocular. Not macho enough I guess.

If neither option is viable I would go with pawn shop cheap glass. It will still be usable at 50-100 bucks. Then keep searching for the ones listed above.

Do some searching and locate a set of used Swaros. Open up your options a bit to include 8x32 and it will shorten the search. Might still be a bit over your budget but you will be happy you did wait and save if you use them a lot. A bit easier to find in your budget would be the Leica/Leitz. Very good glass. I once purchased a new in box unused 10x40 EL for 500 from a raffle winner. Deals on high quality binoculars are not hard to find. Guys will lay down a fortune on rifles, scopes, ammo and booze but most will not buy a good binocular. Not macho enough I guess.

If neither option is viable I would go with pawn shop cheap glass. It will still be usable at 50-100 bucks. Then keep searching for the ones listed above.
Good advice. I have a really good pair of Leupold binos I paid about $300 for. But I would like an upgrade without braking the bank.

I recently got a pair of Leupold Bx-2 10x42. I have been impressed at how clear they are, and was using them to help spot shots at 1000 a few days ago. For the price, I'm very happy with them so far

This spring I looked through a bunch of binos at a Scheels store, budget was $500. Tried a Zeiss Terra ED 42 and quit looking, took them home. 10X, excellent glass.

I think about 18 months ago I bought a pair of Vanguard 10x42mm ED binoculars. They had a rebate and they were being discounted due to introduction of a new model with brand name Hoya glass.

I think it wound up around $140 after rebate and those binoculars had won a few best value awards and high finishes in binocular comparison reviews (at their original $500 MSRP).

I'm very pleased with them, the image is very clear with only the tiniest hint of CA at the edge of the field when looking at bright white objects.

I found that deal when I wasn't looking but deals like that do come around.

I got some Vortex Viper HD 10x binos, I highly recommend them, my 10x42swaros are better, but not 1300 dollars better

Just finished looking through my new MeoPro 10x42 HD’s way after dusk. 1200 yards away is a trail head with a few hills behind it as a dark backstop and I could not even distinguish the parking area with my bare eyes. Way too dark but I flipped up the Binos and I saw three people standing around their cars chatting. With SportOptics SH discount these are a winner. Going to compare with some 4x the price I paid on Sunday evening just for grins. My friend is going to be pissed. Lol

Have a great weekend

What’s your opinion on the genesis series over the XD? Is the price difference worth the upgrade?

Went to Cabela’s and compared the Vortex Razor HD 12x50 and the Euro HD 12x50 to my MeoPro 10x42’s. I was viewing at three different times. Sun above the mountains, just setting on the mountains and after legal shooting light. The MeoPro was right there with them in all light conditions. Not enough of an advantage in the higher priced Binos to justify the cost.

The Razors had a little warmer color during the sunset that I could see in the leaves on a tree starting to change for the fall but just a minimal amount and hard to really call. At 2-1/2 and 3 times the Cabela’s price it’s not even a consideration with the SH pricing from SportsOptics.

The eye relief is 17mm (Razors only 16.5mm) and would really like about 18-20mm with the glasses I wear. Not a deal breaker and MeoPro 8x42 have 20mm if I wanted to drop magnification. Or I could buy a set of Swarovski’s for a huge bump in price .....lol

I’m going to state that the MeoPro 10x42’s are impressive for the price. Thanks Marshall for your help, not a big purchase I sent your way but money well spent and I appreciate your time on the phone.

The Athon Midas binoculars just won another award

I picked up a set of Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 from another hide member, they're really nice. At the Arizona match a couple years ago I could pick out backlit targets on a shadowed hillside with my binoculars that I couldn't find with the swaro scopes. Certainly not an equal comparison but everyone was surprised at the clarity, especially in those conditions.