• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best biometric safe

Glock1943

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2021
Huntsville, AL
I have a Sentry Safe, as seen in the attachment, and have not been pleased with it. It's rare that it opens on the first time and we all know if the situation arises where you need your HD pistol it's a life or death situation. Do you guys have any you suggest that the biometric part has opened without fail on the first try?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 52
The Liberty is very fast and repeatable.

The Gunvault GVB1000 is about 2 seconds to open and 95% consistent. I can be 98% probably if I’m careful to place my finger exactly how it should be.

I have the Liberty HDX 250 and I like it. I would recommend it. Was able to get mine used on ebay for $90.

Attachments

• 20230131_101628.jpg
    20230131_101628.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Glock1943
Had a Gunvault fail on me one night when my alarm went off at 4am.

Never again. Changed to a non-electric version after that.
How so? Just curious

How so? Just curious

The safe has a parasitic drain on the battery. There is a point where the battery gets too weak to release the latch but not low enough for the safe to indicate low battery to let you know it needs changed.

I put the right code in like 4 times, you could hear the latch click but the door wouldn’t release. It wasn’t pushing the latch out of the way far enough to release the door.

Reactions: diverdon
I have a vaultek, and I can’t stand it. I would not recommend it at all. Like posted above if your fingers are slightly wet, or dirty it won’t work, and the amount of times I’ve had trouble with it, has ruined any trust in it at all.

Just get one with a key backup, the buttons and biometric is just a convenient way to open not to be 100% every time. I have a carbine size Fast Box but don’t trust the buttons with my life.

The safe has a parasitic drain on the battery. There is a point where the battery gets too weak to release the latch but not low enough for the safe to indicate low battery to let you know it needs changed.

I put the right code in like 4 times, you could hear the latch click but the door wouldn’t release. It wasn’t pushing the latch out of the way far enough to release the door.
Ahhh. I feel like I experienced that once myself. Thankfully not in an emergency. I used the key to open and change them. I need to change the batteries probably now thinking about it. Mine stays plugged in and that happened to me after 4-5 years though. Wouldn’t call it parasitic in mine anyway.
I agree the bio sensor is pretty sensitive to position of your finger. The Liberty is faster opening and bio sensor works great IMO.

On a side note my Kwikset bio to my gun room works very well and quickly. It does require 4 AA batteries that I change every few months because it’s 100% battery operated (besides key backup) and I open and close it a lot. It’s obvious when it starts to get sluggish on the opening and the LED light gives a yellow then red caution.
D8DDCE06-E6D1-4EA9-BCEA-B7CA78174D4B.jpeg

I too have had electronic fail on me in what could have been an emergency. Will NEVER depend solely upon it again

1. I prefer my safes to have an S&G old mechanical dial, about as reliable as you can get. Not for speed at all.

2. Cabinets and boxes are either mechanical or key. You can put the key in a hidden small mechanical lock box if you wish to open a larger cabinet. Takes a bit more time, but safe from kids/guests/stupid relatives that try to mess with your guns (I have a cousin that's an assh*t that is from San Francisco that has never held a gun but always wants to touch mine, but I've never let him because he is exactly the assh*le that will point it at his kids as a joke-been a personal gripe between us for years).

3. ALWAYS have 2 or more boxes for guns in an emergency. Right next to each other. If one fails, you just move to the next. I had a mechanical box fail me once. It wasn't designed for guns, but jewelry and such. Opened it with a chisel & hammer later, but felt stupid when it failed.

I like electronics, I work in a technical field. But I am leary of too much crap in a system. I have a new-ish HP printer at work that has all this app stuff and it just drags it down and bogs down. I have had to install three times.

I was watching a lawyer give advice to not use biometric locks on your phone, such as fingerprint or facial recognition. Because that is evidence collected at the scene. However, a security code, that is testimony and you cannot be compelled to testify against yourself, courtesy of the 5th Amendment.

I am beginning to think that same should be for gun safes, including bedside ones that hold just your pistol. Some kind of code that requires physical manipulation, not electricity. That was my two cents and it was worth, thanks to inflation, 1.2 cents.

I have a Sentry Safe, as seen in the attachment, and have not been pleased with it. It's rare that it opens on the first time and we all know if the situation arises where you need your HD pistol it's a life or death situation. Do you guys have any you suggest that the biometric part has opened without fail on the first try?

Get a mechanically operated one that doesn’t use batteries or failure prone electronics for a lower frustration experience!

I use a Fort Knox pistol box with a Simplex lock. Biometric locks are pure gimmick and don't belong anywhere near something your life might depend on.