• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bipod and where to buy

Re: Best bipod and where to buy

I love my Atlas, and got it from Triad Tactical, who are always great to deal with.

Harris or Atlas...people seem to fall into these two camps these days.

I, for one, prefer the Atlas, but I was faithfully served by the Harris for MANY years before upgrading to the Atlas. It really comes down to what you'll prefer and what your budget allows.

BIG +1 on Steve/Triad Tactical for your bipods needs. He stocks/sells both the Harris and the Atlas. If you do go with the Harris, regardless of the height you select, get the leg notch, swivel model and equip it with a pod-loc.

See here: http://www.triadtactical.com/Bipods-etc./

Is the Atlas noticeably lighter than the Harris?

I use both Atlas and Harris and like them both for different reasons. Harris deploys faster then the Atlas but i like the tilt and swivel of Atlas better. I guess it just come down to what your going to use it for.
Got the Atlas from Mile High Shooting and Harris from Midway
Good luck with your choice

Atlas if you can afford it, if not, the harris works well.

For normal shooting the Atlas is great. They look much cleaner and feel much more solid

If you're shooting tactical matches the Atlas is a PITA to deploy during timed stages when shooting from ports or other obstacles where you need it up to prone when you need it down.

I use harris for my competition rifles for the above reason alone!!

i love my swivel 9 to 13" harris.. especially for only $90 dollars... just put a tad bit of blue lock tight on the treads and it is not going anywhere.... actually purchaed mine from local gun shop new... not sure if they had it priced wrong or what as i thought 90 bucks was a good deal. then got a yankee hill bipod adapter off of primary arms for $15 bucks shipped ( i think that was the price)... a QD mount would be nice, but I only take mine off 1 time per year for deer hunting so I didn't need the QD mount.

I own the CF-SS bipod from starshooter. I have no bad comments on the pod. It is ver stable and has no flex. Perfect for competition shooting.
I bought it on-line at:

www.star-shooter.com

I have used Harris, GG&G and Atlas bi-pods. I now have two Atlas bi-pods and plan to get at least one more. Got my first Atlas at a gun show of all places. Most of the time you do not run into vendors that sell the top tier gear at the gunshows in my area, but that particular show there was one. Read all the hype on the Atlas and thought, "What? A bi-pod is just a bi-pod." Then ran across one at the gun show and actually got handle one. After that I knew what all the hype was about. Did not intend to spend that much at the gun show so I had to run to the ATM to get cash. Walked out with my first Atlas and have not looked back. The second I bought from Triad Tactical and the service from them was excellent.

The Atlas is nice, I put one on my JP. I put a Bobro labeled (looks like GG&G to me) bipod on my LMT MWS. I haven't beat my Atlas to shit yet, but there are a bunch of small, moving parts that could fail/break/get packed with sand/dirt/debris, etc.

I am not knocking Atlas, in fact I'm getting ready to buy another one very soon. It's a high quality piece of equipment, very happy with it. The Bobro is built like a brick shithouse, also a little heavier. The lock design is beefy, fewer moving parts.

I'm wondering, has any one broken their Atlas yet?

Atlas- I bought one and was impressed enough to order up two more. I still have on harris on an AR and one on my .17HMR; precision rifles all sport the Atlas.

I have a couple of Harris's they are nice. I wanted to get them set-up to be able to move to different guns. By the time I would get those options plus a pod-loc I was getting close to the price of an Atlas. I read about the Atlas being able to be loaded a little better than the Harris so I got one. Glad I did they are nice. Would still use Atlas if I needed the really long legs, think 'yote hunting.

Can someone answer an Atlas question:

Does it swivel and if so can you lock the swivel down so there is no movement? Also, assuming it can be locked down, does the lock hold through a day at the range, or does it constantly have to be re-tightened?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone answer an Atlas question:

Does it swivel and if so can you lock the swivel down so there is no movement? Also, assuming it can be locked down, does the lock hold through a day at the range, or does it constantly have to be re-tightened? </div></div>

Yes it locks and yes it holds when locked. The lock function for both the pan and tilt features at once though.

For a lighter, DMR type application the Atlas is really nice. I use LRA's exclusively for LR and competition type use and the Atlas is on my little DMR AR15.

The stability difference between the two of them is huge adn it makes a big difference spotting misses close, and staying stable out long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a lighter, DMR type application the Atlas is really nice. I use LRA's exclusively for LR and competition type use and the Atlas is on my little DMR AR15.

The stability difference between the two of them is huge adn it makes a big difference spotting misses close, and staying stable out long. </div></div>

Bohem, do the LRS have the rapid deploy ability of the Harris? Are they better in virtually every aspect? I'm interested in a set up like that & have been eyeing them for a bit but still apprehensive. I'd be using them in sniper matches where pan & track (preferably under tension)
would be useful too.

I have always used a Harris and never saw any reason to change until one of my "friends" loaned me his Atlas....the only thing I really complain about now is the cost of the Atlas.....I was happily ignorant and my so called friend had to go and screw it all up... ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone answer an Atlas question:

Does it swivel and if so can you lock the swivel down so there is no movement? Also, assuming it can be locked down, does the lock hold through a day at the range, or does it constantly have to be re-tightened? </div></div>

I would have to say no.

The knob will tighten the movement but it doesn't lock it. I would also say that you would need to snug it up occasionally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone answer an Atlas question:

I would have to say no.

The knob will tighten the movement but it doesn't lock it. I would also say that you would need to snug it up occasionally. </div></div>

I'd have to concur with what RADcustom said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TripleD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a lighter, DMR type application the Atlas is really nice. I use LRA's exclusively for LR and competition type use and the Atlas is on my little DMR AR15.

The stability difference between the two of them is huge adn it makes a big difference spotting misses close, and staying stable out long. </div></div>

Bohem, do the LRS have the rapid deploy ability of the Harris? Are they better in virtually every aspect? I'm interested in a set up like that & have been eyeing them for a bit but still apprehensive. I'd be using them in sniper matches where pan & track (preferably under tension)
would be useful too. </div></div>

I've been running them for about 18 months in those matches and never had a problem whatsoever getting it deployed, folded, or hitting movers in many matches.

Some 0317's were running Atlas V8's this weekend at the match I was at and by Sunday afternoon they all wanted to test drive the LRA and were asking for contact info to get one.

I have both as well. I bought a rifle with an older model atlas on it. I ended up breaking the atlas bolt that runs through the middle of it. Sent the guy from atlas thats on here (forgot his name) and he just said send it in and they'd fix it and offered to upgrade it to the newer model for $50. They stand behind their product. Harris probably does too, just never had to call them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For normal shooting the Atlas is great. They look much cleaner and feel much more solid

If you're shooting tactical matches the Atlas is a PITA to deploy during timed stages when shooting from ports or other obstacles where you need it up to prone when you need it down.

I use harris for my competition rifles for the above reason alone!! </div></div>

I guess different strokes for different folks, I choose atlas for tactical matches for other reasons- Namely, shooting from a steep hillside or other unconventional position, it's just hard to get the harris setup good for tough positions with a cactus in your elbow.
wink.gif

Good question, knowing application and budget would help narrow the field.

I own a Atlas and a GG&G myself. The Atlas is nice but I kinda like my GG&G better myself. I don't think the atlas is worth $100 more .

If looking for one just search google I found Atlas many times with QD for $290 shipped.

Easy to find good deals if you search Google.

I even found a place to pickup NF scopes cheaper than most sell used ones for.

I mainly wish the Atlas had a one more notch for more of a Harris bipod angle.