• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bore guide/ rod for Vudoo

medic103

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2005
Parkland, FL
www.facebook.com
I know Vudoo sells a commercially made rod, but I've always used Lucas guides on my center fire rifles. Are there better options out there than Vudoo's? I emailed Mike Lucas just now, waiting to see what he says. What carbon rod is everyone using on their Vudoos?

Thanks in advance!
David

I had an aluminum rod guide from Vudoo, it had a handy retention point built into it so it would lock in place like the
bolt does. I don't think the polymer universal guide has that feature. I really like metal products, but I feel that
a polymer like PTFE, UHMW, etc is the best choice for a bore guide. I like the poly Vudoo mags better than the 7075 as well.
All 21 of my V22 poly mags functioned flawlessly in a MDT LSS Gen 2 chassis. My rods are the simple J. Dewey and Hoppes Elite
with ball bearing handles. I have bore guides for every rifle I have because it makes cleaning a simple, quick task. My guides
are almost all Possum Hollow. They are very inexpensive, they will build me one to suit some bizzarro gun I bought and all of the
polymers are about the same in this application.

Reactions: medic103
I only use the plastic pull-thru cleaners on my 22's.
Works great for my Chacon custom and will for my future Vudoo.

I have this one and it works great. https://www.boretech.com/products/bore-guide-bolt-action-rimfire

Bore Tech actually emailed me after I ordered, asking if I was sure about the length of the rod I had ordered. It appeared I had a poor understanding of just how long it should be, and they helped me pick the right one. It turns out the one they sent ended up being the perfect length (I chose one much shorter).

I was impressed with the customer service. I own three of their bore guides and the guide rod.

I had an aluminum rod guide from Vudoo, it had a handy retention point built into it so it would lock in place like the
bolt does. I don't think the polymer universal guide has that feature.
I really like metal products, but I feel that
a polymer like PTFE, UHMW, etc is the best choice for a bore guide. I like the poly Vudoo mags better than the 7075 as well.
All 21 of my V22 poly mags functioned flawlessly in a MDT LSS Gen 2 chassis. My rods are the simple J. Dewey and Hoppes Elite
with ball bearing handles. I have bore guides for every rifle I have because it makes cleaning a simple, quick task. My guides
are almost all Possum Hollow. They are very inexpensive, they will build me one to suit some bizzarro gun I bought and all of the
polymers are about the same in this application.
The delrin one Bore-Tech makes DOES have it. It's a screw with three positions for all versions of Vudoo.

How do you get carbon out with a pull thru?
If you use a quality solvent, and clean frequently, the pull thru (patch worm) will keep the carbon at bay. I used a patch worm on a Annie 64MPR for a couple years in RF BR games, where we clean between cards/targets for the most part. A drop of Hoppe's #9 and Butches Bore Shine each on a snug fitting patch x2, with dry patches inbetween cards worked well. Bore scope showed this worked well.

I have a V22-s and use the Vudoo bore guide, and Bore Tech rods. All top quality stuff, but other brands of rods would work just as well. The end user is the key.

If you use a quality solvent, and clean frequently, the pull thru (patch worm) will keep the carbon at bay. I used a patch worm on a Annie 64MPR for a couple years in RF BR games, where we clean between cards/targets for the most part. A drop of Hoppe's #9 and Butches Bore Shine each on a snug fitting patch x2, with dry patches inbetween cards worked well. Bore scope showed this worked well.

I have a V22-s and use the Vudoo bore guide, and Bore Tech rods. All top quality stuff, but other brands of rods would work just as well. The end user is the key.

You aren't removing any form of carbon with just hopes and a pull thru. I shoot br for over 10 years now and have never ever seen a top level shooter using a patchworm. I'm not saying they won't be able to clean, I'm just saying there's no way in hell a pull thru is eliminating carbon ring.

Reactions: JohnTheFisherman
You aren't removing any form of carbon with just hopes and a pull thru. I shoot br for over 10 years now and have never ever seen a top level shooter using a patchworm. I'm not saying they won't be able to clean, I'm just saying there's no way in hell a pull thru is eliminating carbon ring.
I never said anything about a carbon ring, you brought that "issue" into the conversation.

I used a combo of Hoppes #9 AND Butches Bore Shine, one drop each on the same patch. Did this combo make some super dooper cleaning solvent. Don't know, I'm not a chemist. Pulled 2 wet patches thru, go post the new card, then pulled 2 dry patches thru. Insert the bolt, and prepare for the upcoming card. Borescope proved this method WORKED on the Annie, no carbon ring. IMO, frequent cleaning, (after each card) greatly reduces the possibility of a carbon ring forming, and there was no carbon ring present BEFORE I started using this cleaning method, again verified with a borescope.

• Haha
Reactions: fredfish