• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best brake reducing blast to the shooter?

Snipe260

Fisterateor
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Which one does the best at taming recoil and blast back at the shooter in short barrel rifle?

Reactions: Meyersmp
    I ran a Tubb 5-Star on my 6xc last season. I liked it over the APA LB and Hellfire. I felt it cut recoil well and didn't blast the shooter with concussion. It's not the sleekest looking brake though.

Pretty sure those too ideas, reducing recoil and preventing blast back to shooter, are never going to be found in the same brake. The more a brake tames recoil it does so by redirecting gas backward to mitigate recoil.....thus increasing blast. Want less blast.....then give up some recoil mitigation and direct less gas backward....but it will recoil more. Best of both worlds, run a can.

Pretty sure those too ideas, reducing recoil and preventing blast back to shooter, are never going to be found in the same brake. The more a brake tames recoil it does so by redirecting gas backward to mitigate recoil.....thus increasing blast. Want less blast.....then give up some recoil mitigation and direct less gas backward....but it will recoil more. Best of both worlds, run a can.
    I'm not trying to say Surefire WarComp is the end all be all, but it successfully handles both of those items you just mentioned.
    It also serves as a platform for mounting a Surefire Can.

Pretty sure anything with a 20in barrel in 6.5PRC is gonna put out a lot of blast other than a suppressor.

Reactions: DrewC and Snipe260
    I'm not trying to say Surefire WarComp is the end all be all, but it successfully handles both of those items you just mentioned.
    It also serves as a platform for mounting a Surefire Can.
    The muzzle device you keep refering to is a flash hider, not a compensator. As stated on Surefires own website for the product.

Pretty sure anything with a 20in barrel in 6.5PRC is gonna put out a lot of blast other than a suppressor.
    I’m used to shooting the big mAgnums braked! Just not that close to end of barrel?

The muzzle device you keep refering to is a flash hider, not a compensator. As stated on Surefires own website for the product.
    Umm yeah it is
    The WarComp is a compensator, flash hider is a byproduct.
    It took me six months to decide what barrel device I was going to use after spending a couple hundred bucks on stuff that caused more problems than not

You can also time the Comp for right and left shooters and neutral.

Here,from their site--

Product Description

The revolutionary SureFire WARCOMP flash hider is the world’s most shootable flash hider. Its patent-pending design provides three valuable functions:

• It provides over 99% reduction in muzzle flash compared to a plain muzzle, which helps to conceal the shooter’s location and preserve his dark-adapted vision.

• It virtually eliminates muzzle rise, which enhances monitoring of target reaction and staying on target for faster follow-up shots.

• It serves as a rock-solid mounting adapter for all SureFire SOCOM Series Fast-Attach®suppressors, including the SOCOM-RC and RC2 models.

Precision machined from US Mill-certified heat-treated stainless steel bar stock — including high-precision single-point cut threads for optimum thread interface — the WARCOMP features an Ionbond DLC coating to provide maximum protection under harsh environmental conditions and to facilitate cleaning even after extreme use.

When used in conjunction with a SureFire SOCOM Series Fast-Attach suppressor, the WARCOMP provides multiple bearing surfaces to ensure superior suppressor alignment and prevent any ringing of tines inside the suppressor. A rear labyrinth seal mitigates gas leaking from the back of a suppressor, minimizes potential carbon buildup in the indexing system, and facilitates suppressor removal after extended firing. Every SureFire WarComp is individually inspected for concentricity and alignment.

For rock-solid mounting of a SOCOM Series suppressor, unparalleled flash reduction, and minimizing muzzle rise, there’s literally nothing like a SureFire WarComp—the world’s most shootable flash hider.

MOUNTS: All SureFire SOCOM Series sound suppressors. 5.56mm silencers will not fit on a 7.62 muzzle device!

NOTE: SureFire SOCOM Series Fast-Attach sound suppressors and current-model WarComps, muzzle brake and flash hider adapters are NOT compatible with previous (non-SOCOM) SureFire Fast-Attach sound suppressors, muzzle brakes, or flash hiders.
    Features
    • Patent-pending design provides over 99% flash elimination; virtually eliminates muzzle rise
    • Serves as rock-solid mounting adapter for SureFire SOCOM suppressors
    • Multiple bearing surfaces provide suppressor alignment and prevent tines from ringing inside suppressor
    • Precision machined from US mill-certified heat-treated stainless steel bar stock
    • High-precision single-point cut barrel threads for optimum thread interface
    • Individually inspected for all critical dimensions, including concentricity and alignment
    • Ionbond DLC coating provides maximum protection against harsh environmental conditions and facilitates cleaning after extreme use
    • Labyrinth seals prevent carbon buildup on suppressor lock ring indexing system
    • Installation requires no permanent modifications to weapon
    • Made in the USA and backed by SureFire No-Hassle Guarantee

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: GotCox
    I’m used to shooting the big mAgnums braked! Just not that close to end of barrel?
    The very first time I shot using a WarComp I was sold
    I have virtually zero muzzle rise on my 308,it really made it nice for quick follow up shots.
    I really see no added value in using it on anything smaller than 6.0 cm
    They come up for sale time to time in the px.

Reactions: Snipe260
    Umm yeah it is
    The WarComp is a compensator, flash hider is a byproduct.
    It took me six months to decide what barrel device I was going to use after spending a couple hundred bucks on stuff that caused more problems than not

You can also time the Comp for right and left shooters and neutral.

Here,from their site--

Product Description

The revolutionary SureFire WARCOMP flash hider is the world’s most shootable flash hider. Its patent-pending design provides three valuable functions:

• It provides over 99% reduction in muzzle flash compared to a plain muzzle, which helps to conceal the shooter’s location and preserve his dark-adapted vision.

• It virtually eliminates muzzle rise, which enhances monitoring of target reaction and staying on target for faster follow-up shots.

• It serves as a rock-solid mounting adapter for all SureFire SOCOM Series Fast-Attach®suppressors, including the SOCOM-RC and RC2 models.

Precision machined from US Mill-certified heat-treated stainless steel bar stock — including high-precision single-point cut threads for optimum thread interface — the WARCOMP features an Ionbond DLC coating to provide maximum protection under harsh environmental conditions and to facilitate cleaning even after extreme use.

When used in conjunction with a SureFire SOCOM Series Fast-Attach suppressor, the WARCOMP provides multiple bearing surfaces to ensure superior suppressor alignment and prevent any ringing of tines inside the suppressor. A rear labyrinth seal mitigates gas leaking from the back of a suppressor, minimizes potential carbon buildup in the indexing system, and facilitates suppressor removal after extended firing. Every SureFire WarComp is individually inspected for concentricity and alignment.

For rock-solid mounting of a SOCOM Series suppressor, unparalleled flash reduction, and minimizing muzzle rise, there’s literally nothing like a SureFire WarComp—the world’s most shootable flash hider.

MOUNTS: All SureFire SOCOM Series sound suppressors. 5.56mm silencers will not fit on a 7.62 muzzle device!

NOTE: SureFire SOCOM Series Fast-Attach sound suppressors and current-model WarComps, muzzle brake and flash hider adapters are NOT compatible with previous (non-SOCOM) SureFire Fast-Attach sound suppressors, muzzle brakes, or flash hiders.
    Features
    • Patent-pending design provides over 99% flash elimination; virtually eliminates muzzle rise
    • Serves as rock-solid mounting adapter for SureFire SOCOM suppressors
    • Multiple bearing surfaces provide suppressor alignment and prevent tines from ringing inside suppressor
    • Precision machined from US mill-certified heat-treated stainless steel bar stock
    • High-precision single-point cut barrel threads for optimum thread interface
    • Individually inspected for all critical dimensions, including concentricity and alignment
    • Ionbond DLC coating provides maximum protection against harsh environmental conditions and facilitates cleaning after extreme use
    • Labyrinth seals prevent carbon buildup on suppressor lock ring indexing system
    • Installation requires no permanent modifications to weapon
    • Made in the USA and backed by SureFire No-Hassle Guarantee
    Your either paid advertising or just cant read. Lets see how many times "flash hider" is said in the product description.....then count the number of times "muzzle brake" "recoil compensator" or "comp" are said shall we.
    Flash hider= 3
    Muzzle brake=0
    Recoil compensator =0
    Comp=0
    Unless the note about not compatable with...is where you see muzzle brake. ??
    Maybe it is a missunderstanding between reducing muzzle rise and recoil as they are not the same. A muzzle device may keep the muzzle down but pound the shooter with more recoil as directing some gas up to keep a muzzle down does not mitigate recoil like a true muzzle brake.

PVA Jet Blast, great recoil reduction, no muzzle rise, no blast to the face, no complaints from neighboring lanes, and no loss in sight picture, I can see the impact and re-engage immediately. Got them on several of my rifles.

I'm not advertising and I can read.
    As for the mentioning of Compensator, it's in the name WarCOMP
    The device I recommend would meet the OP needs.

When I see guys show up at the range utilizing Abrams tank sized brakes on small caliber rifes I shake my head.
    Most people don't even want you shooting around them and most the ranges around here forbid them.

In all honesty the only reason some people buy them is for the cool factor.

Surefires offering is old tech and there is a lot of stuff written about them, in the grand scheme of things they simply work.

Last edited:
    The Insite Arms Heathen has been the best for me as far as recoil reduction and minimal blowback.
    The PVA brakes have been a really close second and I think they may do a little bit better job controlling muzzle rise for me.

The Precision Armaments EFAB has remarkably low concussion for how effective of a brake it is. There are much more effective brakes, don’t get me wrong, but the concussion feels better than a bare muzzle to me.