• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best brass in consistency for 6 BR

TackDriver2

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2017
I only have 100 pieces of Lapua 6BR brass atm, wanting to buy another 100 pieces, but not sure if the lot will match my current lot, since I want both batch to shoot the same POI at 600, so I may want to buy 200 pieces instead. I forgot what my old lot number was. I have always used Lapua brass and never tried Petersons, ADI or Alpha. Most of you guys experienced with different brass.

Which brass has the best consistency in neck thickness / roundness and weight / volume?

I will not claim that my brass standards will guarantee a POI at 600 yards by just inspecting brass.

I still sort and live fire to know when to expect a shift of more than 1/2 MOA between sorts. That said…

Lapua, Norma, Alpha (6 Dasher), and Peterson have all given good yields with minimal ES/SD issues within batches.

Over the years on the older brands, I fully expect to buy roughly 3 to 4 times the number that I want for a sort bin. So, if I want 100 piece boxes without worrying about dope changes, I buy 400-500 and bin sort them.

I have not run Alpha or Peterson long enough years to see the stability over a decade, but so far so good.

what are the accuracy requirements? I don't see it being a big issue mixing but I use it for PRS, not sure of your needs.
.1-.2 MOA or better @ 100, to be able to shoot 2 inches at 600 or better. I don't do PRS, I prefer benchrest. We shoot F class at 600 yards, but like shooting steel as well on my place.

.1-.2 MOA or better @ 100, to be able to shoot 2 inches at 600 or better. I don't do PRS, I prefer benchrest. We shoot F class at 600 yards, but like shooting steel as well on my place.
You realize those games get sighters, so I'm going to recommend you run testing on samples you have in hand to learn the size of the issue.

Getting sighters changes the problem, not getting sighters is a whole other ballgame.