• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best brass money can buy?

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Don`t respond unless you have tried all of them. Here is the list.

Ruag
RWS
Lapua
Horneber

I know that Norma, and Nosler are good but their not as good as the above. I don`t shoot Remington, Winchester, Federal, or Hornady brass in my custom rifles as I am tired of buying a bag and after sorting you only get a handful of decent brass. The neck thickness varies so much as does the weight. I just bought some Hornady match brass and it was the worse I have ever seen. Why can`t an American company make very high quality brass?

IIRC, Nosler is Norma brass, just repackaged...

American companies can make high quality brass, just not at a price point/profit margin that Americans/American companies will be happy with...

OAN, it'll be interesting when you can print your own brass on a 3D printer...but that is whole 'nother topic and forum...

I've had really good luck with L.C. and Lapua I'd put them in the same class. PPU has been pretty good and Fed/Rem/Win/HSM's has been the worst, though the NATO Fed isn't too bad but the primer pockets go to shit too fast. I've used a lot of other 'brands' such as AA but they've all been made by Lapua so there's no since mentioning them.

I know this is a stick I just shouldn't pick up, but your directive rubbed me the wrong way.

Don`t respond unless you have tried all of them. Here is the list.

That's like saying "don't comment on fine men's clothes unless you buy your suits from Saville Row." Or which is better: a Palmer, Christensen or Faedship.
Funny, I've loaded and shot Lapua, Ruag and RWS, as well as Hornady, BHA, LC, Remington and Federal. My accuracy is not affected by any of those.
These things affect my accuracy way more than my brass: what I've eaten, how much coffee, physical exertion level in the past 2 days, my eyes, heart-rate, respiration and most importantly, concentration.
To me a gun is like a wife. I've had a finicky, champagne wife. If my gun is finicky about the ammo I feed it, I find a different gun.

Lapua has been my brass of choice for many years now, and every single case has been of impeccable quality and consistency, which is something hard to find these days.

full prepped lake city to include neck turning, annealing, and PP uniforming makes the best brass in my opinion at a significantly cheaper price, it's just labor intensive the first time around.

Lapua, but I've heard, that for an "EXTRA cost", they're is a site that sends strippers to your home to "help" "resize" your brass. That may be the "Best"?

Lapua and Norma have been the most consistent for me, really surprised that you found so much of an issue with the Hornady though. I am not saying they are top tier, but only getting a "handful" of good brass out of a bag of 100 seems like a pretty gross exaggeration.

Last edited:
Got 500 rounds of Hornady brass in 6.5CM. Haven't thrown one away yet. I may need to try the Nosler as I was only able to squeeze 1/4 moa from the Hornady in my gun. It might be the gun, though.

"I know this is a stick I just shouldn't pick up, but your directive rubbed me the wrong way.

Originally Posted by excaliber
Don`t respond unless you have tried all of them. Here is the list."

Yes, the OP struck me the same way, and fortunately, everybody chose to ignore the statement.

So, another opinion from somebody that has not used all on the list.

I do like Lapua, when they make what you need. When they don't I have found Nosler to be very good, in those calibers they make. It seems hard to pin Nosler down on the source of their brass; maybe more than one?

Otherwise, culling cases is critical these days when you buy bulk and have no idea about lot numbers, and then I prefer WW over any other domestic brand. And, availability is good, which is worth noting. BB

I know this is a stick I just shouldn't pick up, but your directive rubbed me the wrong way.

That's like saying "don't comment on fine men's clothes unless you buy your suits from Saville Row." Or which is better: a Palmer, Christensen or Faedship.
Funny, I've loaded and shot Lapua, Ruag and RWS, as well as Hornady, BHA, LC, Remington and Federal. My accuracy is not affected by any of those.
These things affect my accuracy way more than my brass: what I've eaten, how much coffee, physical exertion level in the past 2 days, my eyes, heart-rate, respiration and most importantly, concentration.
To me a gun is like a wife. I've had a finicky, champagne wife. If my gun is finicky about the ammo I feed it, I find a different gun.

That's a pretty funny post!

Anyway, I've tried Norma, Lapua, Reminton, Federal, Winchester, Nosler, LC, Hornady and I absolutely have a love affair with Lapua. Granted, my experience pales in comparison to most others on this highly vaunted site, but it's quality in undeniable. Norma is great too though. I load Norma in a .223 and it shoots fantastic. Lapua in 6,5x47. I will say that while it's great brass, I have certainly found some quality issues from time to time as I'm sure others can attest to. However, it's much less than others.

I used to try different brass and let the rifle decide...then I switched to fully prepping 1X fired LC for 5.56 and 308 and haven't looked back

Last edited:
Although Lapua is the best brass I have found for my 6.5 Grendels, the flash holes are NOT iniform. One of the first things I have to do is uniform the flash holes. I have not tested to find out how much (if any) this improves accuracy, but common sense makes me think that having more uniform ignition sure can't hurt.

I found this problem when I was pushing crushed walnut shells out of the flash holes of polished cases, and my tool would stick in about half the flash holes.

Got 500 rounds of Hornady brass in 6.5CM. Haven't thrown one away yet. I may need to try the Nosler as I was only able to squeeze 1/4 moa from the Hornady in my gun. It might be the gun, though.

Damn that must really suck. 1/8 would be the only thing I would take