• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Budget Ammo For Savage 10FP .308

SavageShooter819

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Hello all. I recently purchased a Savage 10FP .308. From what I gethered, this rifle likes heavy grain ammo anywhere from 168 - 175. However, I came across a guy who said he is plenty happy with 150 grain Winchester Super-X. Can you guys tell me what the best ammo for this rifle is for between $15 - $20? I love precision shooting, but I'm not exactly competing or anything right now. I just want the best bang for the buck. Thanks!

Re: Best Budget Ammo For Savage 10FP .308

reload. depending on bullet choice, you're looking at around 40 cents/round.

You can buy beautiful german milspec reloadable 168 gr ammo from the sportsman's guide company.(on line) for $18 a box. They also have S&B 147 gr non reloadable for $10/ box
Either shoots 3 in 3/4" from my Tikka 595.

Armed Ferret are you saying reload my own rounds?

James I checked out that federal ammo really quick and it got a whole mess of 5 star ratings. One of which came from a guy who was shooting my exact rifle. Pretty cool for under $20.

If you have the time and patience, learn to reload. Like Armed Ferret said, $.40 a round, and that's duplicating federal gold medal.

i've used the federal 150 gr soft points through my tikka and have put 3 shots under an inch. picked it up from walmart for something like 13 a box.

look into Prvi Partizan for budget ammo.. not sure how the .308 shoots but the 75gr .223 have had outstanding success.

What application? What distances? No need to go 175 if inside 800 but you might find it likes it better anyway over 168, although I have had great success with 168 out of my Savage .308

If reloading is out of the question, look into a few different cheaper match loads and see what yours likes and then buy it in bulk.

The Prvi Partizan ammo also got great reviews from people shooting rifles similar to mine

I really don't know anything about reloading my own ammo, so I'll have to research that a little bit

Savage,

It's only a matter of time before you get the bug. The process is fairly inexpensive and then the savings start.

I had the same rifle a few years back... Get good glass on it and enjoy!

J~

Reloading itself isnt hard, but its key to make sure you are doing it right and the equipment is set up properly.

My advice is to put the city/state you are in on your profile, and then post an ad in the member linkup stating you want to learn to reload. It might take time to get all the components you need, or they might loan you some if you put things on order. Hopefully someone with experience can hook you up and show you the ropes as NineHotel did for me. Even after I almost got a case stuck in his forster cus I brainfarted on lube
smile.gif

Serious shooting involves a lot of training and practice.

Handloads make this cheaper, and allow loads to be better tailored to the rifle's specific accuracy needs.

Handloading equipment runs the gamut of costs, but mostly, the expensive stuff buys you speed, convenience, and somewhat improved potential for accuracy. With reasonable investments of time and patience, and some practical trade-offs regarding extreme accuracy, very cost effective handloads can be crafted with modest equipment.

Folks who get the shooting bug will usually also invest in a relatively accurate, simple and reliable .22LR, with which they do the bulk of their training and practice.

This reserves the bore wear on their serious rig for more serious applications, and allows the bulk of the repetitive practice to be done under conditions that are actually pretty independent of heavy calibers and long distances. It's an intelligent cost alternative.

Greg

Yeah my wife and I have been shooting a .22 LR for a little over a year now. I used to have a Winchester .308 before that, and am looking to get back in to the distance game again.

Ha ha, you've already been bitten and dont even know it. Hope you have deep pockets. My experience with Privi Partisan has been good for .223. For .308 military ammo try Australia or S. African, both do very well in my AR10A2. Its no match ammo but very good.

If you decide to reload, do your homework. Read a lot on here and ask questions, lot of these guys know there shit. Get a good manual or two and a guy named Zediker has written a couple good books. "Reloading For Competition" I believe is the name of one (I'm not home and cant remember for sure, someone here will chime in). Most good manuals will have excellent info for the beginner in the front of them. Best thing......get some "hands on" by someone that knows about reloading. Double check, be safe, have fun.

okie

Find a mentor, best place, ask where handloading components are sold. A public range is another good place to ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy beautiful german milspec reloadable 168 gr ammo from the sportsman's guide company.(on line) for $18 a box. They also have S&B 147 gr non reloadable for $10/ box
Either shoots 3 in 3/4" from my Tikka 595. </div></div>

Really? You have a link? I haven't seen anything like that from them. Well, ever that I know of. 168gr? From sportsmens guide?

SavageShooter819, where are you located? I'm asking because the Bass Pro near my place in Rancho Cucamonga, CA is holding free reloading classes (beginning and advanced) for the next few months, so maybe you may have a store near you that does the same?

I know Bass Pro may/may not be the best place to learn much about firearms and reloading, but hopefully the company is fearful of lawsuits enough that they would have knowledgeable people teaching the classes and practice safe reloading skills.

Pretty sure they will use brands of reloading equipment they carry in store, but the idea and procedure is the same. The store near me carries RCBS and Hornady products and they are more than fine to use, albeit cheaper options are available for learning, in case you decide reloading is not for you (Lee).

Good luck, and please fill out your profile and there just might be a member near you who wouldn't mind showing you the ropes.

There was a test in the Savage 308 FP in a magazine a year or 2 ago and Hornady TAP ammo/ 110 grain load shot the best by far. I had the same experience with the 110 TAP in my AI AE.

I think you just need to try several types and see what shoots best in your rifle. I saw some blue color box Federal 180gr that would be in your price range. You want to find something that will be consistent and available.