• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best budget friendly AR-10 sniper rifle?

ueb_30

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2020
TN
Looking for something similiar to what the Ukrainians are using for their snipers. the UAR-10... would it be better to go 16" or 18"...also, is AERO the best option to go with? Lastly, better to build it or to by one already made?

Reactions: rottenruger
Asking for a friend.
Budget ? Engagement range ? Accuracy requirements ? Weight? Optics system ? Why Ukranian ? Experience building other AR-10's?

Find an Aero already built in the PX if you can. It’s probably bang for buck budget AR10. Large frame ARs can have a lot of compatibility issues that translate into functional issues. There’s plenty of threads on here discussing folks woes. Save yourself the trouble.

Here’s a possible start if you can’t find a complete build.

Last edited:
I have 2 308 ar’s and have shot more than a few. The best budget I’ve encountered is the M&p10 sport, incredibly accurate rifle for what it is and is in the middle weight wise. Downside is proprietary parts and it will come with a gas port to small for nato rounds(easily fixed). Since I drilled the port just a hair it’s been 100% reliable. Aero makes good firearms, I’ve used allot of their parts on other builds, but if I was going to spend that much I would get the sig tread 308, if your going to build it aero is the highest quality affordable option.

Last edited:
Sorry btw as others said if you build it be prepared for a pain in the ass if you use allot of mixed parts. The ar10/308 isn’t nearly as standardized as the ar15 platform, so the more you mix and match the more you will end up changing things to work. I built a 308 using a 2A xanthos upper and lower with other mixed parts and it took a few months of tinkering to get it reliable, and if you build it do yourself a favor with a adjustable gas block from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTH1800
yea not trying to build one. Do 308 AR's work well suppressed? Im looking at these 2 right now

Jeez, if you’re entertaining that budget get a used Seekins SP10 in the PX

Btdt multiple times.

A couple tips-

1.) Think hard about a 6 arc or Grendel. 308 is really not very good at all, and unless you have heavy logistics in your favor, it honestly doesn't make much sense. That said, I have an aero m5 308, but don't think highly enough of the platform to spend for the premium players.

2.) If you want to suppress it without any screwing around (and judging by this post OP fits that profile) get an extremely low back pressure can. Pewscience can quantify that, but good options would be a vented cgs Helios, oss/huxwrx or sandman K.

Last edited:
Btdt multiple times.

A couple tips-

1.) Think hard about a 6 arc or Grendel. 308 is really not very good at all, and unless you have heavy logistics in your favor, it honestly doesn't make much sense.

2.) If you want to suppress it without any screwing around (and judging by this post OP fits that profile) get an extremely low back pressure can. Prescience can quantify that, but good options would be a vented cgs Helios, oss/huxwrx or sandman K.
why is .308 not good? I thought many militaries use 7.62x51 as a common sniper round

why is .308 not good? I thought many militaries use 7.62x51 as a common sniper round 308 has been surpassed by calibers (example 6.5 creedmoor) that are lighter recoiling, have better external ballistics (trajectory, wind drift), with arguably equal terminal performance. Militaries use 7.62x51 because it was a NATO standard that the US forced upon NATO allies way back. Due to the challenges in terms of military logistics and supply, 7.62x51 has stuck. 308 or 7.62x51 is fine though, it works.
yea not trying to build one. Do 308 AR's work well suppressed? No. 308 platform ARs tend to be ridiculously overgassed. Suppressor use necessitates heavier buffer weight (sold separate) or requires the use of an adjustable gas block to tune the gas flow to correct the timing issues caused by lengthened dwell time time and backpressure that are caused by suppressors. Even "low backpressure" cans tend to be somewhat overgassed. Not saying they can't be suppressed, just most of time they don't work optimally out of the box with suppressors. You should do your research to see what potential issues will occur and have a set plan for if you encounter issues so you can troubleshoot at the range quickly.
Looking for something similiar to what the Ukrainians are using for their snipers. the UAR-10... would it be better to go 16" or 18"...also, is AERO the best option to go with? Lastly, better to build it or to by one already made? Do you favor compact/maneuverable or do you want a tiny bit more velocity for incrementally better external ballistics? Ultimately you gotta ask yourself and be honest, what do you intend to do with the rifle? Long range precision shooting? How far? You want something similar because of inspiration?

Buy one ready made. Not trying to be insulting but if that's one of the questions you're asking, you're not ready to DIY.

My AR-10 is a real one, an Armalite target model. I like everything about it except for carrying it.
With a mounted scope and full 10 rd magazine it weighs 12 lbs.
One consideration of an Armalite rifle is the magazine situation.
They make an A and a B model that take different mags.
The B uses the gen 2 armalite mags, while the A uses the DPMS/pmag mags.
Both are readilly available.

I can't believe people are trying to legitimately respond to this guy. AR-10 Sniper rifle? Really?
isnt the Ar10 the closest thing to the Sr-25 and to the Mk-12 ....
btw ..this forum is called "snipers hide" ...

why is .308 not good? I thought many militaries use 7.62x51 as a common sniper round
JMHO - The Zbroyar 7.62x51mm Z-10 rifles are proving themselves with the events in the Ukraine. That is why there is some renewed interest in the platform. Not hearing a lot about .223's or 6.5's..... Who knows when the money stops flowing we may be hearing about crossbow's.

Armalite is good to go, the new company doesn't impress but the years of refinements of the rifle is in the current product. Also under normal circumstances you can buy spare parts for Armalites. Not so with some of the brands being recommended. It may or may not be an issue for you but if you shoot it enough you will need a couple of critical spares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsp556
There are two types of guns in this world — KAC, and everyone who wants to be KAC.

Oh… and MOA assures victory against Communist invaders. Using MILs is basically unconditional surrender.

And Chili doesn’t have beans, unless you’re a Commie.

isnt the Ar10 the closest thing to the Sr-25 and to the Mk-12 ....
btw ..this forum is called "snipers hide" ...
that's what I thought, but then I see threads about PCC, and 12" 308's, CQB AR's. :rolleyes:

no, I'm not a sniper either, the range I frequent only goes out to 1,300yds, not that I can reach that, but I aspire.

Find an Aero already built in the PX if you can. It’s probably bang for buck budget AR10. Large frame ARs can have a lot of compatibility issues that translate into functional issues. There’s plenty of threads on here discussing folks woes. Save yourself the trouble.

Here’s a possible start if you can’t find a complete build.
FYI
I questioned Aero about "matched" upper and lowers. They replied:

Hello, Hobo Hilton.

We unfortunately do not offer matched sets, just lowers and uppers paired as a bundle. They are not paired for fitment.

Best Regards,
Davin O
Support team,

Aero Precision

Reactions: db2000
FYI

Hello, Hobo Hilton.

We unfortunately do not offer matched sets, just lowers and uppers paired as a bundle. They are not paired for fitment.

Best Regards,
Davin O
Support team,

Aero Precision
you don't need a matched set. just buy, slap together and go at it

Reactions: greg1147
FYI

Hello, Hobo Hilton.

Best Regards,
Davin O
Support team,

Aero Precision
Yeah, don’t need a matched set just all the other parts are important as some combinations work and some are headaches

I just put a aero set together and so far it is shooting really. 18” SS barrel handloads shooting about 1/2” at 100. 168/178eldms. Running suppressed with an AGB from aero as well. Go on aero use their 10%off offer get an upper and lower. Go to schulyer and buy the supporting parts. Bcg agb charging handle mags. I did that and it was pretty cheap. Obviously kac seekins pws etc are probably one and done.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
If going suppressed, consider the PWS MK220. I have the MK216 (16 vs 20 inch), and it shoots like a dream suppressed. Very accurate as well. Adjustable gas system, long strike piston. Nothing to mess with, but turning a knob. Almost as accurate as my 20 inch LMT MWS.

Looking for something similiar to what the Ukrainians are using for their snipers. the UAR-10... would it be better to go 16" or 18"...also, is AERO the best option to go with? Lastly, better to build it or to by one already made?
Sniper??? Go with the longer barrel.

B226A548-C73C-4E68-BC27-2DCBCB904F28.jpeg

My Aero works as it well as to be expected although in 6.5 CM, I know the OP is going .308. The only issue was suppressed with can I built was ejection pattern. And the bolt not locking back which I found was a buffer spring/bolt thing. No problem with 1k yard with a 4-14x50 NF SHV. And the weight.

I appreciate the opinions from above.
Help bracket me in:
Recommend a stripped, matched upper and lower... At any cost.
Recommend a stripped, unmatched upper and lower (both from the same manufacturer) that might work together..... On a tight budget.

Thanks

First off, Budget and accurate are on opposite ends of the scales.Reality check.

Budget means compromise and lack of precision in some places and ways.
Consistently accurate means NO compromise.
I used to shoot, a LOT. I shot for the Spooks. If you know who they are, then you just know.

Now I just shoot Coyotes. And they hate me.

I'm a machinist/gunsmith and I don't post a lot. This is what I've settled on for semis............

My "low-end" accurate 308 is an highly accurized M1-A1 (M-14 fiberglass stock, Winchester barrel, welded rod, tuned trigger, the whole bit). Fairly light, good for 1.5-2.0 MOA. Federal 168 match. Good enough for a daily carry. Shoots anything you put in it.
I've got maybe 3k in that gun and scope. It's my first-grab because it just feels right on my shoulder and the scope is a old Swarovski fixed 10 power sniper retical. Clear as Montana air. Just a badass old school rifle.

The kind'a "bucks up" next-step is a Armalite AR-10T with a 5r barrel. Not light. sub MOA with 175 Federals.
I've got a Mk4 on there so that one knocks on the door of about 6k. I should sell it, I NEVER shoot it.

The MOST accurate 308 semi I have is a SCAR 20. I seems to not care what it shoots as long as it's match.
Now that one is pushing 8K with the Mk8 and the SPUHR mount. It's sub MOA even if my mom is shooting it (this thread is sketchy, Lol)
and doing the right thing. Little brother to the Ballista.

If you are shooting suppressed, get an adjustable gas block. The end. And a gunsmith on speed dial.

If you can't afford the racing gas, don't buy a HellCat.
The more you spend, the better it'll work (unless you're getting took).

I see a LOT off guys on here arguing about semi's not being more accurate than less than 1 MOA.
Bullshit.
You aren't holding the gun right! My S/F sniper buddies will tell you that.
We bang plates at 600M with his SCAR all afternoon. Passed that 6-800M thing, get a bolt gun.
With some horsepower.

We always shoot suppressed with the yote hunting. It's about all we do on the farm. It's full time. We shoot suppressed cause we "can't wake the chickens" and the muzzle blast blooms the NOGs.
Some cans are a problem, constantly loosening and the guys shooting the front cap to bits or 5th and 6th baffle strikes. Mostly the non-commercial cans (solvent trap types) and direct thread. That directs a fair amount of business my way.
The mount is critical. Our can bores are tight for sound suppression, there are no SureFires out there.

The can has to be mounted right and concentric to the bore ALWAYS as the pressure goes up. Lot of
force out there from 25+ grains of propellent and up. We shoot Hornady Predator and that gas is moving on
with a short barrel. All my can guts are 17-4 so they are tough. no problems. Heat expansion is uniform down the whole can.
I mounted my can to the barrel in a lathe. Run-out was .05". That actually makes the rifle more accurate and it acts like a 16"
barrel when I've chronograph'd the pills. They're still moving close to 2,700 fps.

I do a CherryBomb on a 10.5" Ballistic Advantage .308 and have NO issues. Other guys, not-so-much.
We shoot so many yotes there is a Coyote skull on every fence post at the neighbor's cattle pasture.
It pretty weird, but that isn't on my property, not my call.

First off, Budget and accurate are on opposite ends of the scales.Reality check.

Budget means compromise and lack of precision in some places and ways.
Consistently accurate means NO compromise.
I used to shoot, a LOT. I shot for the Spooks. If you know who they are, then you just know.

Now I just shoot Coyotes. And they hate me.

I'm a machinist/gunsmith and I don't post a lot. This is what I've settled on for semis............

My "low-end" accurate 308 is an highly accurized M1-A1 (M-14 fiberglass stock, Winchester barrel, welded rod, tuned trigger, the whole bit). Fairly light, good for 1.5-2.0 MOA. Federal 168 match. Good enough for a daily carry. Shoots anything you put in it.
I've got maybe 3k in that gun and scope. It's my first-grab because it just feels right on my shoulder and the scope is a old Swarovski fixed 10 power sniper retical. Clear as Montana air. Just a badass old school rifle.

The kind'a "bucks up" next-step is a Armalite AR-10T with a 5r barrel. Not light. sub MOA with 175 Federals.
I've got a Mk4 on there so that one knocks on the door of about 6k. I should sell it, I NEVER shoot it.

The MOST accurate 308 semi I have is a SCAR 20. I seems to not care what it shoots as long as it's match.
Now that one is pushing 8K with the Mk8 and the SPUHR mount. It's sub MOA even if my mom is shooting it (this thread is sketchy, Lol)
and doing the right thing. Little brother to the Ballista.

If you are shooting suppressed, get an adjustable gas block. The end. And a gunsmith on speed dial.

If you can't afford the racing gas, don't buy a HellCat.
The more you spend, the better it'll work (unless you're getting took).

I see a LOT off guys on here arguing about semi's not being more accurate than less than 1 MOA.
Bullshit.
You aren't holding the gun right! My S/F sniper buddies will tell you that.
We bang plates at 600M with his SCAR all afternoon. Passed that 6-800M thing, get a bolt gun.
With some horsepower.
Seldom do I find a man who is reading the same play book that I am reading.
LRB has built my M1-A1's
Just had cataract surgery and waiting on my prescription glasses... Yep, still need the readers.
Just looking ahead a bit to see what some options are if my current weapons don't fit the situation.
The only SCAR I have been around was with a guy in a class and he had problems with it. May have just been him.. IDK
thanks for the run down.

Hobo

Reactions: CarCrusher
I always find myself going back to that M1-A1. It's such a brutally
truthful rifle. No tricks, no fancy alloys to work harden and snap.
Just tool steel and honesty. As strong as the day is long. The scope is the same way, simple as a rock.
I'm in my 60's and it can just outshoot me any day it feels like it.
But when I was a younger man...........we were hell with the roof off.
I've had it 40 years. It's a member of my family.

I DID have to find out what the fuss was about with FN. Fantastic weapons they are.
Barrels are incredible. Takes some getting used to.
Now, that damn Ballista..................

An amigo has over 80k thru his FN M4. Throat's a little shot out, gas port is eroding away.
Still holds groups. Never hiccups, just goes bang when he pulls the trigger. He's a DM so they just give him that
HK-417 to "get tight". And it does.

I always find myself going back to that M1-A1. It's such a brutally
truthful rifle. No tricks, no fancy alloys to work harden and snap.
Just tool steel and honesty. As strong as the day is long. The scope is the same way, simple as a rock.
I'm in my 60's and it can just outshoot me any day it feels like it.
But when I was a younger man...........we were hell with the roof off.
I've had it 40 years. It's a member of my family.

I DID have to find out what the fuss was about with FN. Fantastic weapons they are.
Barrels are incredible. Takes some getting used to.
Now, that damn Ballista..................

An amigo has over 80k thru his FN M4. Throat's a little shot out, gas port is eroding away.
Still holds groups
. Never hiccups, just goes bang when he pulls the trigger. He's a DM so they just give him that
HK-417 to "get tight". And it does.
I'd bet a million he's lying about round count.

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
I'd bet a million he's lying about round count.
Naw, that's his issue weapon. They keep a tight account of the rounds they issue.
And they have to shoot ALL of them.
He's the squad Designated Marksman in the 82nd. He has eyes like an eagle.
I've seen his targets. 10 rd groups with like only 5 holes..........in a very small circle.
Shooting prone of course.

Naw, that's his issue weapon. They keep a tight account of the rounds they issue.

I've seen his targets. 10 rd groups with like only 5 holes..........in a very small circle.
Having been in the Marines I can tell you they don't keep as tight a count as some people think. Lots of extra rounds floating around after an exercise. I had a buddy that was a Company Gunny and he had a conex box full of assorted rounds for when the CO decided they were going to the field late on a Friday and the Ammo Supply Point was already closed.

I would also venture that his rifle doesn't have 80K rounds through it in its original form. Barrel, BCG, etc have been replaced at the least.

Similar to someone having their daddy's old axe...had the handle replaced 3 times and the head once...but it's their dad's axe.

Last edited:
no one, no one that's ever got any time behind the trigger is going to buy this round count and all that is said. I'm sorry but it's not even remotely possible. that doesn't even account for the mandatory parts replacement at specified intervals. major bs