• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best budget friendly NV and thermal helmet combo

Bravo6niner

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2017
High Plains
Looking to get a better NV and/or thermal helmet mount setup for summer varmint hunting. This setup will be primarily used for walking/stalking around the farm yards and cruising on a utv around the farm property.

I currently have one pvs14 and I’m trying to decide what else would accompany the pvs14 best. Some options I’ve thought of so far:

• Dual pvs14’s with a COTI
  • Pvs14 with a breach
  • Pvs14 with a patrol
  • Dual pvs14’s and patrol on a neck lanyard
  • Pvs14 and mtm

The first option I mentioned with the COTI is really outside of my current budget but if it is truly “the way to go” I will work towards that option. Obviously though if a cheaper option exists that will get the job done I’m all for that.

Also what mount system would work best for the recommenced setup?

Both of my bump helmets have built in shrouds. This is not ideal, but I have a team wendy (tan) and an ops core (green).

==
Team Wendy with Skeet, 14 and coti
47252014752_820468be37_h.jpg

==
Night Cap with 14 and coti (a minimalist setup that is very light)
33438511188_4bacf567a4_k.jpg

==
Dual 14s on the Team Wendy. I use this setup when I'm providing lights out chauffeuring services for other team members.
46926132335_2f62e96ecc_b.jpg

==
on the left side in the pic is the team wendy with skeet 14 and coti
on the right side in the pic is the ops core with patrol and 14
48500476276_c71d780efd_k.jpg

==
Here we've added a battery pack (with step down and keep alive cable) for the skeet
48950217298_4f8ab68b2f_k.jpg

==
Killed a number of critters this season with this setup ... skeet 14 coti and carbine with laser
48988652011_67b38a6480_k.jpg

==
I find the coti to be pretty useful in woods, or heavily vegetated terrain. In the open, in cut fields, an illuminator can be used. But in uncut fields the illum bounces off the grass.
Also, the laser will split into multiple beams in vegetation and you have to be able to find the real one pretty quickly. It gets easier with practice.

So, optimal setup depends on the details of the terrain and whether you will be shooting with laser or with wpn mounted thermal scope. If wpn mounted thermal scope, then coti not needed. Coti only needed to help laser hit targets 14 can't see.

Otherwise, helmet mounted thermal can detect and maybe PID critters but then halt movement hold up rifle mounted thermal for PID and engagement.

@Bravo6niner Being your title says "Budget Friendly" I would highly recommend the 14 and Breach route. Get a Mod Armory Bridge mount and Mod Armory Breach Arm and you are good to go. While the Breach will fall somewhat short of the image a Triji Patrol will give you, it is still gonna get the job done pretty dang well.

I run the snot out of that setup and find it to be the best current bang for the buck when all things are considered.

Not that I want to see a dime go to the Chinese but you might want to wait until these new Chinese Skeet type monocular thing hits the market.

@CTM1. Yes Sir, I think you are on the right path. However, they are probably gonna be Unobtainium for a while from what it looks like due to so much economic disruption in China due to the Coronavirus.

Hecque, it might be smarter to grab a Breach & your 14 and head for them thar hills before Merica is hit with this thing.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
I forgot. If UNV does get their shipment of 50 in, I sure hope they Bleach them suckers down good before shipping out to customers. :oops:

Reactions: rich20730