• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best budget options for NV/thermal clip-on, mid range.

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Live in a rural area and deal with predation of my flock. Last year it was fox with a den not far from the house. I ran a 22lr with a sightmark wraith. It worked ok for the short range (under 100 yards) but this year I have a lot of coyote droppings up close to the house and can hear their calls nightly. The area that they are coming is a wooded area at the edge of my property, there is 200 yards of open field between my house and the woods.

Instead of setting up a dedicated rifle for thermal or NV, I would like to consider a clip-on for my primary rifle (sako TRG in 6.5CM running a march 4.5-27x52). While I would love to go to the "cry once" category, I can't at this time. I saw a reccomendation in another thread about hiring the work out, but 1- that doesn't mean I get new toys, and 2- its been an issue every year so I want to set myself up to deal with it rather than paying every year.

So far I am leaning towards the Burris BTC35 or the Steiner S35 640. Would these be decent buys for 200ish yards using my primary scope at 4.5x? This is all new to me and I've been reviewing a lot of archived threads but I cannot find good through scope photos of either. If there are other, maybe cheaper options, I would be open to suggestions.

S35 is decent out to 300yds, 4x digital/8x net (2x optical).

But the s35 is a scope not a clipon. The clipon version is c35.

I have only used the Bering Optics clip ons. They work good, but starting at 4x as your base mag can cause issues because the entire screen can't be seen to zero the clip-on. I tyipcally recommend 1x or 2x for clip ons to work the best.

Reactions: DIBBS
I have a Super Yoter C in front of a 1-8 PL-x. I really like it. Returns to zero with Larue QD mount taking off and putting back on the gun.
Works great also as a scanner but you have to swap the eyepiece or just scan on the gun off a tripod is easiest.

Using a C35 in front of a March 1.5-15, good setup. Also run a super yoter dedicated in a QD. In your situation, I’d want to try both, which, I know, will be tough for you. There will be challenges for running a scope with a 4X bottom end…