• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best "budget" spotting scope for 50 to 300 yards. Mostly 100 yards

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
I did read many of the spotting scope threads but many are older and go for the really expensive ones.

I was thinking, maybe I should pay out the money and get a vortex razor HD but I'm not sure if I need that to use occasionally at the gun range to see bullet holes.

What I want to do is see target holes at mostly 100 yards, but I may plan on going to a different range that is further away where I can shoot 200-300 yards.

What would you consider a good budget tabletop spotting scope that will allow me to easy see my bullet holes at 50-100 yards, but may be able to see 200-300 yards down the road.

Would a budget spotting scope work or should I still just get a more expensive one?

I did read many of the spotting scope threads but many are older and go for the really expensive ones.

I was thinking, maybe I should pay out the money and get a vortex razor HD but I'm not sure if I need that to use occasionally at the gun range to see bullet holes.

What I want to do is see target holes at mostly 100 yards, but I may plan on going to a different range that is further away where I can shoot 200-300 yards.

What would you consider a good budget tabletop spotting scope that will allow me to easy see my bullet holes at 50-100 yards, but may be able to see 200-300 yards down the road.

Would a budget spotting scope work or should I still just get a more expensive one?
I mean the bushnell tactical t series has a reticle and can be had around 350-400. It’s a decent starter spotter. I still use mine although mostly for recording these days but it’s a decent spotter and will be great out to 300, even 600.

Reactions: Steel head
I got my gen 1 razor for $675. For the money to me it’s hard to beat. Haven’t got a good tripod yet but compared to others in the price range it was the best option IMHO.

Have you looked at the Leupold Mk 4 12-40 x 60?

Especially if you can qualify for their very open and generous mil/leo/vet VIP discount program.

I like it because its not too damn big (I wanted a spotting scope, not an astronomical telescope! haha) and because it can be had with a MIL reticle without paying a fortune for an additional eye piece. Reticle just comes with.

Oops, my error. Give a call, 516-217-1000 and I'll honor my error and write it up for you at $249.99

I was just wondering, how does the Konus Optics Konuspot-100 20-60x100 Spotting Scope compare to the vortex diamondback and viper?
I know the vortex spotting scopes are more expensive but I don't want to pay too much money either for just a little benefit.

I do like that the Konus is a x100, to let more light through. I also don't mind if this scope is large because I will just walk from my car to a bench at the shooting range, so size is not an issue.

I was just wondering why you recommend the konus as the best budget spotting scope?

Thanks

Optically the Konus is on par with the Diamondback buy as a 100mm it'll be brighter. If you want something more on par with the Viper we have the Athlon Optics Argos 20-60x85 HD - 45 Degree Spotting Scope on sale for only $329.99
  • Phase Coated Porro Prism: Phase Coated Porro prisms reflect great mount of lights to your eyes which will give you bright image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated Lenses: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Nitrogen Purged: Nitrogen Purging uses the inertia gas to purge moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater.
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation.

gr8fuldoug: I am trying to compare those two scopes, the athlon and the konus.

which scope would you say has better optical clarity for seeing bullet holes at 100-300 yards? At the end of the day that is what is important is to make out where my bullet landed on the target so I can stop having to walk and check the targets.

I am not sure if the athlon with the x85 is better than the konus x100, because the konus has a larger lens at x100 for more light. But maybe the lenses or coatings on the athlon are more advanced?

What would you say would be the reason for choosing the athlon over the konus?

Do you the the Konus x100 size is an issue? I did see in a review where someone said its very front heavy and easy to tip over and mount on a tripod. Do you think this is something I should worry about by having it on a bench, where maybe its better to get a small scope?

Thanks