• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Best bullet for .223 subsonic

onajoyride

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Farragut, TN
Im looking into subsonic 223 and wondering what the heaviest bullet I can shoot is. I can reload to whatever I want and I realize the I need to moly coat the bullets. I have a 20" 1-9 twist and was wondering at the low powder levels if my gun wouls stabilize a 77gr sierra. What are your thoughts?

Re: Best bullet for .223 subsonic

I push a 75 gr Privi Partisan from Wiedners over 13.4gr of 2400.
It shoots great I put 5 shots under 1/2" at 50yds out of my M4 with a red dot. I keep it to the limit of what I think the bullet will do.

I have heard a lot about needing to lube the sub sonic bullets for better consistency. Maybe thats where the moly would come in?

Honestly never played with it much since I am getting an inch to inch and a half at 100 most of the time, but it might be worth looking at.

I would say that a 9 twist is marginal for a 77grain SMK at full velocity. Doubt it would work at SS. If you want a ss 22 cal. try the Heavy Aguila RF round. JMO

I shoot the 69 gr. SMK at 1050 fps out of my 17" Rem 700 with 1:8 twist barrel. The 1:8 shoots the 77s great at 2700 but I would not trust them to stablize at 1050.

Thanks again for the input I didnt think it would stabilize. Ill try it on a 69 sierra and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onajoyride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again for the input I didnt think it would stabilize. Ill try it on a 69 sierra and go from there. </div></div>

Why moly? It gives you nothing at all. Just one more step to waste time on
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onajoyride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again for the input I didnt think it would stabilize. Ill try it on a 69 sierra and go from there.</div></div>

if the 69 will stabilize the 70's will, 69 are pointy not as balanced from end to end as the RN.

Don't waste your time with moly. I haven't touched that stuff since the 90's. Are you shooting a .223 bolt gun? A 1:9 won't stabilize much over 69 grains.

For the best consistency use a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I use 55gr fmj mainly for cost. the load for titegroup is 3.1 max with 55gr.fmj i am running 2.5gr titegroup. since most of those are mainly for "fun" shooting i try to make them as cheap as possible pay attention when reloading subsonic ammo pressures rise quickly and it can get very dangerous if done half-hazardly. As to go with any reloading but even more so with subsonic ammo.