• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Bullet Weight For .223

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
Can any of you recommend what the best bullet weight would be for .223/5.56?

Its a 16" M4 profile 1 x 9" R.H. twist/6 grooves & lands chrome lined barrel with a Izzy Suppressor.

I'm looking at some Black Hills Bulk, and was wondering if someone could help.

Thanks,

-Pat

Re: Best Bullet Weight For .223

What kind of shooting will you be doing?

In general I would say 69 gn SMK.

But again it depends on the purpose. I shoot different bullets in my varmint loads...

Got it, thanks guy! Could you tell me which type you use for hunting as well?

Thanks,

-Pat

Forgot to specify....Paper mostly, wouldn't mind trying them on a few critters, and home defence as well.....Baahaahaa!..not very specific.

grin.gif

You will get great all around performance from some of the 55 and 62 grainers.
The speed of the 55 grain bullets makes them frangible and highly desirable for
home defence. Paper, lighter is generally cheaper and for varmints the same. For
longer ranges (350+ yards) the 69 smks work great in most ar's. Your 1:9 barrel
is about at it's limit at that weight. Also consider staying with flat based bullets
for closer ranges, more often than not they are more accurate.

The 60g V-max does a pretty good job either handloads or factory.

1:9 twist should max out your bullet grain weight into the 62 range (69 being the absolute edge). Anything higher and you may not stabilize the bullet well enough to be accurate.

Hey you guys thanks a million!

I just got off the phone with Black Hills and they confirmed exactly what you've said. The 60 grain v-max would make a nice hunting bullet, and the 69SMK would be the very max with that twist rate and length of barrel. (they were not absolutely positive my gun would stabilize the 69, but pretty sure it would)

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey you guys thanks a million!

I just got off the phone with Black Hills and they confirmed exactly what you've said. The 60 grain v-max would make a nice hunting bullet, and the 69SMK would be the very max with that twist rate and length of barrel. (they were not absolutely positive my gun would stabilize the 69, but pretty sure it would)

Thanks,

-Pat </div></div>

I shoot the 69SMK's out of my 1 in 9 and they shoot around or less than a 1/2" with my handloads. I've shot tighter with lighter bullets BUT haven't played with the 69s as much. My prefered varmint is the 50gr Ballistic Tip...usually dont shoot to far past 300 (when hunting) so its fine for what i do.

"I shoot the 69SMK's out of my 1 in 9 and they shoot around or less than a 1/2" with my handloads"

*Big Smile*....Buddy that's good enough for me!

Whats your barrel length, it seemed to be part of the equation?

Thanks, -Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OUVarmintHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of shooting will you be doing?

In general I would say 69 gn SMK.

But again it depends on the purpose. I shoot different bullets in my varmint loads... </div></div>

I haven't experimented this yet but I was told if you load heavier bullets hot and shoot out of a 1:9 they will stabilize
confused.gif

Don't know haven't tried. Any takers on that one??

If it is accuracy you seek in a bolt gun or single shot, try the 35 gr and 45 gr Vmax.

If it is accuracy you seek in an AR, try 55 gr Vmax and a 1 in 12" twist.

Using barrels meant for rimfire with 1 in 16" twist, the 50 gr stabilizes, but the 55 gr will not.

I had a 1-8 twist Rock River AR that shot the Sierra 60gr HP's and the 69 gr'rs fantastically.
smile.gif