• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing best bullet weight for deer in a 300 win mag

bigtater80

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
central louisiana
well after a long break from hunting i decided i was gonna get back into deer hunting. I purchased a remington 700 sps stainless in 300 winchester magnum and topped it with a nikon monarch 4-16x42mm. I know a lot of people will call it overkill but the cartridge has a soft spot in my heart because my stepdad who passed away a few years ago swore by it and i have to say it worked for him on deer, hogs, and the occasional crow or armadiller. Im just really wondering what grain bullet will be best suited for deer. The first box of bullets i bought were hornady 150gr btsp and they shot very well like grouped into a tight cluster well inside of a one inch square on a rifle target. my thoughts are a 150gr bullet at 3275fps is gonna blow up and trash a lot of meat but man they shoot good. I asked my wife to grab a box of ammo and she bought federal 180gr hot cors and i havent put em on bags yet but they seem to shoot well from a truck hood. Seems a heavier bullet would be less likely to grenade and destroy meat. I recently aquired a reloading press and plan to start reloading soon and am thinking of goin with nosler accubonds or ballistic tips just dont know what gr to use. Any input is much appreciated.

Reactions: Saracen
Re: best bullet weight for deer in a 300 win mag

If you want to preserve meat and don't need 1000yd deer killing capabilities with every hunt then you should handload. A very experienced member on this site has made this point many times, and I agree whole-heartedly.

You can always download a larger case to compete with the smaller brethren, you can't overload the smaller cases to beat the big ones.

130 TSX with a mild load of a fast burning powder will kill deer and if you keep velocities mild they won't wreck the meat too badly.

Velocity creates the shock that turns meat into jello. You can shoot an extremely heavy bullet (220-240gr) with a lighter load and keep the velocities low while still having the oomph needed for punching heavy animals. There's lots of ways to skin the cat per se. I personally wouldn't have picked the 300WM, but as you said, you have your reasons.

I think you can make it work, especially if you hand load.

Well if you always go for a neck shot you wont run the risk of destroying your best meat. I hunt with a 223 or 308 depending on when/where I am. I would say whatever weight you choose, you should pop em right in the neck and lights out. Hell with that 300WM you might pop the head half way off. Good luck.

If you are going to reload I would look into the 208 grain amax. The 168 grain in a 308 worked really well for me last year (1 deer, 2 hogs both drt). I don't think you could go wrong with that combo. I usually don't worry about meat damage, just put it on their front shoulder and let it rip. I will just salvage as much as possible and throw it into the sausage pile.

My dad shoots a 300WM. What he likes about it is he doesn't have to worry about tracking the deer, he shoots and just about regardless of where that bullet hits the deer dies within a few feet. I know, bullet placement is key and the last 3 deer I have killed with the 308 or 270 all dropped in their tracks. But, I grew up watching and idolizing him shoot them with the old 300 so I can understand your sentiment.

Reactions: Saracen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to reload I would look into the 208 grain amax. The 168 grain in a 308 worked really well for me last year (1 deer, 2 hogs both drt). I don't think you could go wrong with that combo. I usually don't worry about meat damage, just put it on their front shoulder and let it rip. I will just salvage as much as possible and throw it into the sausage pile.

My dad shoots a 300WM. What he likes about it is he doesn't have to worry about tracking the deer, he shoots and just about regardless of where that bullet hits the deer dies within a few feet. I know, bullet placement is key and the last 3 deer I have killed with the 308 or 270 all dropped in their tracks. But, I grew up watching and idolizing him shoot them with the old 300 so I can understand your sentiment. </div></div>

I was really interested in the 200gr and according to my nosler manual i can get some pretty decent velocities and penetrate very well but everyone ive talked to has been against it. one of my huntin buddies has a 300 rum and he is shootin a 150 cause its flat and im tellin him that thing is gonna make one helluva hole. He says i might as well shoot a 30-30 if i wanna lob heavy slow bullets. as far as range goes im an up close and personal kind of guy but will take a longer shot if need be. Longest shot on lease for huntin maybe 325yds so i dont think slow and heavy really gonna hurt me that bad. I had leaned towards the 180gr as a compromise.

I fully understand idolizing him. I remember being 9 years old and watching him get the 300 out of the closet and lookin how huge those cartriges were compared to my lil 243 and watching him crush a 4 point that evening. i dont think he shot anything twice with it. When that old 300 boomed it was over with. Id have loved to have that gun it was a winchester model 70 with really pretty wood he bought in 1964 and he always said if he had bought it a year earlier it would have been worth some money. But my stepbrothers were in his closet before he was in the ground and took everything. But its ok they got guns i got the memories behind them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hell with that 300WM you might pop the head half way off. Good luck. </div></div>

SWEET! Shouldnt be hard to do on these lil deer!

With any of the bullets, the drop at 325 yards with a 200 yd zero is going to be around 8-9" with the 208. Put it on the spine and let it roll.

Find the one that shoots in your stick and rock it.

Anything that comes out of a 300 will kill a deer just fine, I dont think you can go wrong, I would stick with something around 165-190. and dont shoot em too fast or you'll go hungry!:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who makes a 190gr hunting bullet? </div></div>

SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who makes a 190gr hunting bullet? </div></div>

You don't really NEED it, want it maybe, but....

Look at the 180 Barnes TSX or MRX, as you can see by me sig, I likes them a lot. We have had real good success with hard to kill critters with both of these. Federal loads both these in their Premium line. I have found they don't spoil nearly as much meat as the projectiles that fragment more, like SMK's.

And you can't beat the penetrating power of the Barnes stuff, especially in a 300 WM.

kind scared of the barnes bullets not opening up on a deer. heard a lot of negative comments to this effect. Even saw a pic of one on here with no expansion.

True, but that can happen with any bullet, they all have failed atleast once. If I were you, I'd find the one your gun shoots best, and use it, if its a Barnes, great, if its an SMK, great. whatever bullet you can put in the boiler room consistently is the one you should use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True, but that can happen with any bullet, they all have failed atleast once. If I were you, I'd find the one your gun shoots best, and use it, if its a Barnes, great, if its an SMK, great. whatever bullet you can put in the boiler room consistently is the one you should use. </div></div>

+1 Exactly, If you shoot a bullet that maybe isn't designed for maximum penetration but have great results know what you can do as a the shooter be responsible, the game will fall in it's tracks with A-MAX's and SMK's with good shot placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF41780</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who makes a 190gr hunting bullet? </div></div>

SMK </div></div>
If ya go an SMK at least the 190, make sure ya smash some bone with it. It was only one time use but the one i had looked like about a perfect outline of a sideways bullet through the heart. The exit was rather unremarkable as well, IF i use my RUM (yeah its a lil faster) for whitetail again I'm going to use a softer bullet and maybe lighter. Still killed the deer of course but thought it would've been a lil more effective.
I have shot a few with the 168amax however, and it performs more "ballistic tip" like. Very effective!

whats the difference between an sst and an a-max or are they the same? Also has anyone used the hornady gmx? Saw some at bass pro. same principle as barnes right? Im not knockin the barnes bullets lot of people love em and to each his own. But i may have to look more into these amax bullets. I killed a few as a youngun with the .243 and hornady was the only brand it shot decent with.

The difference is the sst was made to hold together for deep penetration, with thick bands of copper to control expansion. the A max was made for ballistic superiority, while perfectly suitable for hunting, its construction is less "sturdy". But only their hairstylist knows. I have used both, and both work very well. I will say this, the Amax is cheaper than the sst, which is cheaper than the gmx, and the performance from all 3 is more than adequate so I'll stick with the one that keeps my reloading budget in the green.
Your right about Barnes, some love em and some dont, personally I cant afford em, so I've never tried em. and I've never regretted it yet. I dont see why people get all excited about one particular brand over all others, bottom line is you need to find out what your gun shoots best. Because in the end all that matters is how well your gun shoots, so try a few different things and see what you get. I like to start out at the cheaper end of the spectrum and work my way up, and to my surprise (pleasant surprise) I've had several "cheap" bullets give me fantastic accuracy and great results.

I shoot the 130gr tsx barnes in my 300wsm, Which is basically a 300 win( just shorter and fatter )The reason you saw a barnes bullet that loked like it did not open, because it did not have the velocity to perform. ( it was probably a long range kill, b/c you will not recover a barnes bullet at short range init will go through. )You will not have that problem with a 130 gr. bullet. Here are some recovered barnes bullets all were over 400 yrds shots on various game animals.
Also, if your target shooting cost of bullet is a concern. If you are hunting the cost of the bullet is not a concern, but performance is. The Barnes bullet at 600 yrds and in IMHO is the best.
BarnesBullets2.jpg

I shoot 165 nosler bt at about 3050 Foster and I have never had a deer go more then 3 steps this load is similar to win ballistic silvertip

I shoot Hornady 180 ge Spire Pts. out of my .300wm. It does a good job on deer. The longest distance I have killed a deer at was 314 yds. The closest was 12 yds. This bullet performed well. Knocked him down, he got up, knocked him down again, he didn't get back up again. This bullet shoots really good out of my rifle and thats why I shoot it. Noslers did not shoot as good but still shot good. Shoot the bullet your rifle shoots best and put it where it belongs and you will have no problem. The 150 Nosler Partions are a good bullet to look at if you are going to run high velocity.

coldbore
thanks for answerin my question on the a max im hearin a lot on this bullet . I definately plan to try more than one bullet or brand just lookin for a good starting point and hornady looks like a good place to start.

thunderbolt
Nice recovered bullets! I may have to try some barnes down the road they expand so damn purty.

Vtr
Are those 180s handloads or factory rnds? And i was wonderin if anyone was gonna recommend a partition. Lol

Thanks everyone for the replies

For Eastern hunting opportunities, I suggest Remington's 150gr Managed Recoil 300WM load. It's a 150gr Core-Lokt Express load of about the same recoil and terminal performance as a typical .30-'06 loading.

For bigger game and longer distances, go with more energy.

Greg

Greg,

there are more than a couple ranchers I know, that prefer you not use a couple bullets on their place - Corelokt's and Winchester ballistic tips.

This past year, I did witness a couple animals shot with those, that required a lot of followup effort, both with good shot placement.

Lots of better rounds, with better bullets, for same money, available. The managed recoil stuff is good, as long as better bullets are used.

On the other hand, he's shooting 300 WM - who cares about recoil?

I have hunted deer with a .300WM for many years. I have had success with the 180gr Hornady Spire points as mentioned above. I have recently started loading the 180gr Barnes TSX, but wouldn't hesitate to head out with some Spirepoints. Both of these will fill your freezer if you do your part.
If you are going to reload, I would get several pounds of Reloader 22, a couple boxes of these bullets and have at it. Good luck

Here's last years buck taken with the .300WM and the Barnes TSX
DSC00361.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

On the other hand, he's shooting 300 WM - who cares about recoil? </div></div>

Amen! Suprisingly its not near what i expected. A little worse than my '06 but not the shoulder shredder everyone i know claims it to be. maybe im just desensitized from all the 3 1/2" steel i shot over the last couple years.

Also reloader 22 was the powder i had decided on. But i see some of the loads are compressed and worry a little about doin this. imr4350 and imr4831 were a couple others i was considerin.

With 76.5gr of RL22 the 180gr Spirepoint is not compressed at 2.786, I'm getting 3100fps. The load I have for the 180TSX is 75gr RL22 seated at 2.80 getting 3065fps. Measurements taken with Hornady's comparator to the ogive. Both loads using Winchester brass and Federal 215M primers. As always, work up to these charge weights because every rifle is different and yours may not like these so much!

ok this may be a dumb question but what is a comperator and ogive? Im new to reloading and unsure. Also max overall length is 3.340" if i try to seat closer to the lands can i exceed this? I know my magazine length with be the limit on overall length.

The ogive would be the part of the bullet that first touches the rifling -or lands- of the barrel. Since bullet tips get deformed from various reasons, the ogive would/should be consistent. To measure this takes a tool called a comparator, Hornady happens to make the one that I have.
As far seating to the lands, I will refer you to the reloading section here on the 'Hide. There are very good threads on reloading there that will get you started on the right track. I would recommend that you also pick up at least a couple of reloading manuals to read BEFORE you start getting into reloading.

i have 2 already barnes and nosler manuals and will get the hornady manual next prolly. I have heard a lot of people mention both but didnt know what they were. Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks. Expectin a little money next week and plan to purchase bullets, powder and primers oh and a caliper and ill be set. Hopefully i can get primers from bass pro in shreveport along with everyting else. If they dont have em i have no clue where to look locally.

joe, I shoot IMR 4350 out of both my .300's. This is a good powder and so is the IMR 4831. Just make sure you have a fairly stout made bullet because if you shoot one up close it will stay together. .300 WM is bad ass on all the animals I've shot. Good Luck and I know you will enjoy the round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .300 WM is bad ass on all the animals I've shot. Good Luck and I know you will enjoy the round. </div></div>

I cant wait to see for myself! Thanks.

Mike, it's good to get additional input. I, too, do not favor Core-Lokts for longer distances, which is why I specified Eastern opportunities, where the longer shots on average seldom reach beyond 150-200yd. The Managed Recoil loadings are specifically formulated to provide good terminal performance within 200yd. Concerns about the 150gr grenading are responsibly addressed with the Manged Recoil loads.

Because of the lower BC/flat base, I also distrust the 150gr .30 cal. Core-Lokt beyond that, even in a full power (I use .30-'06 150gr Core-Lokt Express) load. But for what I need, it's proved highly adequate.

I would suspect the need for followup shot may have been related to shots taken at extended distances, but if not, then I stand gladly corrected.

Yes, recoil is a given with the .300WM, but it's a very versatile chambering; and for instances where its full potential in not needed, it can still perform very well downloaded. The reference was made to the OP's Wife purchasing ammo, and I leapt to conclusion that she might also wish to try her hand with the firearm. The Managed Recoil load could serve her well, and maybe better.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The reference was made to the OP's Wife purchasing ammo, and I leapt to conclusion that she might also wish to try her hand with the firearm. The Managed Recoil load could serve her well, and maybe better.

Greg </div></div>

My wife has shot my 30-06 several times and has no fear of it. Really see no need for reduced loads when she will shoot '06. when it comes to the .300 i tried once to get her to shoot it and took her to the range with me. we both shoot the '06 a couple times then i pull the 300 and she tells me to shoot it first. I touch one off and she hears the boom and tells me to go fornicate with myself she aint shooting it. Which i dont understand cause she has shot 3 1/2" out of my 12ga and my 10ga and both have more thump but hey its no biggie. At least she goes.

Greg,

I pretty much agree with your post - if the corelokt was being driven at the older, more historical speeds it was originally in, it would be better. I do think the issue with them not killing well does seem to surface on faster rounds.

None of the shots in question was extended range though. We actively discourage that amoung the sports. In keeping with that theory, if we are culling animals, and it is just our small band, head shots are OK. If other folks are included, it's front shoulders.

I'm pretty lucky, between my duck hunting and deer/exotic stuff, I get to see a lot of stuff, some of which works, some.... not so much....
'course this year, I didn't get to fish much.....

sorry for the sidetrack Pirogue Joe. What part of LA you're in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">coldbore
thanks for answerin my question on the a max im hearin a lot on this bullet . I definately plan to try more than one bullet or brand just lookin for a good starting point and hornady looks like a good place to start.

thunderbolt
Nice recovered bullets! I may have to try some barnes down the road they expand so damn purty.

Vtr
Are those 180s handloads or factory rnds? And i was wonderin if anyone was gonna recommend a partition. Lol

Thanks everyone for the replies
PJ Those are my handloads. 180 Hornady Spire Points 71.4 grs. IMR 4350 CCI 250 LRM Primers. W/W Brass Out of my Rifle 2990 fps.
</div></div>

180 grain standard cup and core bullet will work fine. Less meat damage than a lighter bullet at high velocity and no doubt as to penetration. Even if you hit a big shoulder joint and the bullet comes apart, the chunks will likely have enough weight to penetrate to the vitals. Factory 180 standard bullet ammo is also relatively inexpensive if you don't handload.

I handload and use 180 Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady Interlocks for deer. Nither has let me down and accuracy is exceptional. When elk is on the tag, I simply switch to the premium version of these bullets. POI doesn't change enough to matter in the field, so I don't have to try to remember to adjust my scope to compensate for a different load. I prefer to shoot one bullet weight/powder charge in each of my hunting guns for just this reason.

If I wanted to shoot only one load, period, I would of course choose a premium bullet, as they will work on any critter. The cost, however, precludes my practicing with premiums as much as I do with standard bullets (poor boy, here).

noah, I definately like the cheaper bullets in that I could afford more practice. I'm a poor boy too!

Also I'm thinkin with reloading I can download to 30-06 level and practice get some trigger time and not burn up my barrel as fast. anyone have an idea what barrel life on a factory barrel is from a 300 win?

I shoot 210 VLD's and 200 Accubonds out of my 300wm Encore. Both have done a great job with most shots dead in the tracks. I prefer the heavier bullets just in case those long shots come in play.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vtr, I bet them regular old hornady bullets is easy on the wallet too. </div></div>

P.J. I like the way they shoot(accurate) and they perform well on deer and anything else that has the misfortune of coming into range. If I were going to hunt Elk,Anything bigger than deer I would step up to the Premium Bullets. If I am going to spend that kind of money to hunt a big animal I want to make sure the bullet is going to stay together and put em down.

might have to try em out myself. deer, hogs and the occasional yote is all I have to worry bout. no elk around here. Sure wish we did though. Once again thanks everyone for the input.

I prefer heavy for caliber bullets, so I would lean towards the 180-220gr range for a .300 Win Mag. I handload so I have quite a bit of flexibility with my ammo. My current strategy is to load Hornady SST for practice, but I switch over to their Interbond for hunting since those two bullets seem to have the same trajectory out to 600 yards. I know the SST will kill deer just fine, but even free hunting is expensive and I don't want to lose an animal by trying to save 24 cents on one bullet. I picked Hornady because of price and because they are accurate in my rifles, but Nosler BT for practice and Accubond for hunting would work well too.

I'm actually sitting on my money cause I can't decide which brand to go with. I'm narrowed down to hornady or nosler. I already have the nosler book but really like hornady and they have always shot well for me and they performed well in 25-06 and 243 and I'm sure that will be the case in .300 win. It is obvious both have a strong following and I really don't think I can go wrong. I just have a hard time deciding on things like this. Prolly gonna go to shreveport next weekend when I pic up my boys and get my stuff but I'm still torn on what powder and dies to get. At this point I'm leaning towards rl22 and lee dies but open to any suggestions for a begginer. Life is just full of choices.

I personally have had VERY good success with 180 grain Nosler Accubongs from .300 winmag and .300 WSM. For me, they've been a nice compromise between a bullet that will expand, and one that gets plenty of penetration. I've had some 155 grain A-max's COMPLETELY grenade on animals, and I use them more for my varmint stuff. It's probably because I'm pushing them pretty fast, but I would NEVER use those bullets in that load on game animals. There's just too much meat destruction waiting to happen.

I've never had a .300 winmag that I couldn't get the 180 grain accubonds to shoot in. They have a pretty good BC for a hunting bullet. For the up close shots, if you don't hit some solid bone, you won't see a lot of expansion, and will probably get a pass through. I consider that a good thing being a meat hunter, so that I don't damage too much meat or making everything bloodshot. At distance where the velocities are a little slower, they expand better, and deliver a lot of kinetic energy on target. I've had pretty good success with them, so if you're curious about a bullet offered from Nosler, I say give the Accubonds a try. I've shot plenty of the ballistic tips before they came out with the Accubond. They shot equally as accurately, but were a bit more "volatile" in the expansion department. I would liken them to an Amax in their performance and expansion. That's just my experience, hope that helps a bit.