• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bullet weight for Rem LTR 308

clifford44

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Arkansas
I have a Rem LTR 308 with a 1:12 twist 20" bbl. what is the optimum bullet weight to go with this combo? Also any recommendations for ammo for deer season? Thanks

Re: Best bullet weight for Rem LTR 308

Hand Loads, 175SMK's (Target)
Factory FGMM 168 or 175 (Target)
Factory Federal Fusion in 165 Blue Box (Hunting)

1-12 is designed for 150-168. So for shooting. 168 Match bullet of your choice. For hunting. Handload or Factory load shooting 150 gr Accubond.

Try Sierra 155 Palma Match or 155 Hornady A-Max's for paper. Develop a good load for it, then substitute a Nosler 150 Accubond and go hunting. POA & POI are so very close to your match load, that for hunting, that no resighting should need to be done.

Or heck, just use the 155's and go hunting.

Bob

I've had great luck beyond 1000 yds with hand loaded 168gr AMax. They're pretty cheap too
wink.gif

A+ to all the above posts. My DM LTR loves the FGGM 168 and because its about all I ever see in stock around here thats what I shoot. JW

Beyond 1000 Yards I'm not sure about 168 grains but for sure Sierra 175 Gr Match King, or New Favorite for shooting paper over 700 yards Berger Bullet 175 Grain Match Target BT Long Range

My LTR will shoot 175 SMKs just fine. It does a slightly better job at close range with 168SMKs.

Unless you're at higher altitudes, the 168s don't normally work at 1k from the 20" barrel and even from most longer barrels.

Mine did not like 155 Scenars with about 4 different powders...I gave up on them in the factory barrel.