• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best bullet

Re: best bullet

Every maker makes at least one or two.When I think of a .308, I think deer and when I think deer I really like Nosler ballistic tips . Maybe not for hunting big mule deer but are great bullets on Whitetails. All depends on how far you are shooting and what you are shooting.

168 gr. Barnes TTSX has a BC of .470 and is super accurate out of my .308. They work on everything from varmints to elk. There are many great hutning bullets out there. Just find one that has a good reputation for reliability and will shoot well out of your rifle. Banes, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Swift, Remington, Combined Tech., and Winchester all have great premium hunting bullets that will do the job for just about any game you are looking to hunt.

It really depends on what you're hunting and your definition of "best". Best value or best performance? Whitetail, any of the above mentioned bullets will work, but a Barnes TTSX wouldn't be the best value for Varmint hunting.

I've found a 150 or 165 ballistic tip (any brand, Hornady and Nosler work great) are best for whitetail for me. They're affordable enough to do plenty of load development and practice with and they perform wonderfully on deer with a reasonable shot placement (no ass shots).

I've found 180s to do too much damage when using SP bullets on whitetail. I had one nearly blow the entire front leg off of a deer when entering the chest and exiting through the far shoulder.

MitchAIsup, do you have a higher resolution image of that? It looks interesting but when I blow it up large enough to see, everything is blurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every maker makes at least one or two.When I think of a .308, I think deer and when I think deer I really like Nosler ballistic tips . Maybe not for hunting big mule deer but are great bullets on Whitetails. All depends on how far you are shooting and what you are shooting. </div></div>

I agree. I do not hunt, but do some reloading for a friend of mine. I have loaded the Ballistic Tips in his .270 and .243 ammo and he is ecstatic. After using some factory junk(Remington/Walmart stuff) he and his son were underwhelmed. From what he said, it was not expanding, but just pushing on through. The first deer his son killed with the Ballistic Tips was followed with the comment, "That stuff David loaded really did the trick."

They are accurate, too. A good friend who has passed away used to load them in a 25-06 and shoot bitty groups with them.

David

OK, this is strange. When I grabbed the text and pasted it into the bar at the top of IE; the page loads, but when I click on the link it gives the forbidden error message.

However, I also ran into an entry into one firearms forum indicating that the poster is for sale at $15. Google 'Gary Sciuchetti "best hunting" ' and select:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309573

Best I can do.