• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best caliber for accuracy?

joshua414

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2012
Jasper, TN
I'm currently toying with the idea of building a custom accuracy rifle. I currently have a FN FNAR chambered in .308 which is extremely accurate. I really don't have any "need" to build a rifle because I have the FNAR but I just want to. I've always been a .308 man and own quite of few of them in various flavors.

Should I stick with my cartridge of choice or branch out and try something new? I like .223 because it's economical to shoot but I'm really open to anything that will be sub moa at 300 yards (my maximum distance at my range).

Re: Best caliber for accuracy?

6BRX,6BR Norma,and 6mm Dasher for 600yd and 1000yd. 6PPC for 100yd-300yd. Nothing else comes close.

how about sharing your requirements. how far do you plan on shooting accurately? what are your accuracy requirements? what type of platform do you want to build this on? are you willing to go to the nth degree loading your ammo or are you planning on buying off the shelf ammo?

buy an off the shelf remingotn 700 sps varmint in 223 put it in a bell and carlson stock with a decent scope and learn to shoot it. cheap and accurate out to 300 yards and def possible to shoot well under 1 moa at 300 yrds.

Savage, Remington, Howa, will deliver great accuracy to 300 without a problem right out of the box, heck further. Add a little homemade, or aftermarket customizing and you have yourself great fun and good savings. Go for it.

If you want a highly competitive round, the 6.5mm's are currently doing great. But sounds like your interest is more of shoot-for-fun and savings. Anything from .17 on up can be taken to 300 yards with good results.

6PPC. Its been mentioned already, but it is the most mechanically accurate round ever designed, or so say a shit ton of records and record holders and record setters.
6BR would be a solid second tied with the grand ol 222.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6PPC. Its been mentioned already, but it is the most mechanically accurate round ever designed, or so say a shit ton of records and record holders and record setters.
6BR would be a solid second tied with the grand ol 222.</div></div>

Actually, the grand 'ol .222 still holds the record as THE MOST accurate cartridge ever. .009" @ 100 yds.

But, for 300 the 6mmBR is the winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6PPC. Its been mentioned already, but it is the most mechanically accurate round ever designed, or so say a shit ton of records and record holders and record setters.

Actually, the grand 'ol .222 still holds the record as THE MOST accurate cartridge ever. .009" @ 100 yds.

But, for 300 the 6mmBR is the winner. </div></div>

I threw the 222 in because he did that. But that has never been done again with anything so it stands alone.

I have a 6BR and know what it can do, the round has its records for sure.
I have a 6.5G wich is a PPC improved but no personal experience with a pure PPC. So I deffer to all those who do shoot them. Its a title thats been used enough to describe it that there must be a reason.

I understand that 30BR is a short range phenom as well, like 125's @ 3K, in the .0's and no barrel wear. Talked to a couple owners that describe it as sitting back at 1-300 drilling bug holes all day. In fact I have been kind of hoping the 300 blackout would perform similarly. It would give me reason to do a pair.

The 6mmBR is where it is at from short range out to 1k.

If an FN FNAR is his current benchmark for accuracy then I'm not sure he's ready to move into a custom 6PPC or anything else along those lines. I second something in the realm of a SPS in 223 to get his feet wet.

I think of accuracy and precision as two different but related terms...
Accuracy= The ability to hit your point of aim with one shot
Precision= The repeat-ability of your system ie...small groups

Totally agree that the 6mm variants are easy to load accurately. I'm currently driving a 6XC and have had some of the most accurate and precise shooting I've ever done out to 1100. I'm sure this cartridge can get to 1400 and I have had no problems knocking over pop-ups at distance.

I have also seen some .30 cal benchrest guns that are ridiculously accurate and precise at 1000... as in consistent sub 4" groups at 1000 and all of the groups centered on the X.

I'd say pick a bullet you like and go talk to your favorite gunsmith and have him tell you the pluses and minuses of each cartridge from a plumbing and feeding perspective. Speed is key to minimizing ranging and wind errors.... everything is a trade-off and it depends on what type of shooting you really want to do.

+1<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If an FN FNAR is his current benchmark for accuracy then I'm not sure he's ready to move into a custom 6PPC or anything else along those lines. I second something in the realm of a SPS in 223 to get his feet wet. </div></div>

A 6PPC single shot benchrest rifle was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. The worst group I shot with it was 1/2"/100 during load development. .1's were doable and .3's were common.

For what you want, the .223 is quite adequate. I honestly believe that for 300yd and under 55gr bullets are about as heevy is you should need. I use Nosler 50gr Ballistic Tips for 250yd comp. A 24" 1:8" barrel should handle up to 80gr and works fine for me with the 50gr bullets.

I would not seriously consider a .30 cal until I was looking at distances of 500yd and beyond, and honestly; I think the .260 is the best basic solution for such applications.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what you want, the .223 is quite adequate.</div></div>Gotta agree with this! Inexpensive and accurate, 300 yards no problem.

Do you reload? Availability of quality ammo will come into play.

L

I really appreciate all the recommendations made and think that I will be going with something in the Remington 700 .223 flavor. As many of you said it will be a good caliber to get my feet wet with, without breaking the bank. I'm currently looking at the SPS Varmint and the VTR in .223 would both of those be equally as good? I like the muzzle break in the VTR but I like the 26" barrel of the SPS Varmint.

Also it appears that Remington doesn't sell barreled actions to the public. Would a similar Howa be just as good? That would save me some extra bucks to buy the B&C stock I've been eyeballing and a nice trigger group.

joshua414. Listen every body pushes what they know and own or have owned. your already shooting probably the best all around caliber there is the 308, If you were thinking of building a custom rifle for precision shooting, then you must have calculated the spending of some bucks to accomplish the task. I would suggest forgoing the trouble and if you can swing it get your self a Sako TRG 22 or an IA mk2 in 308. These are by far the best out of the box shooting guns you can get. Like I said we push what we own and shoot, I own a 308 TRG and at our range I'm out shooting guy's with mush more expensive guns. Give it some thought....

I agree with there is no perfect round for accuracy. Any caliber with a good barrel and a good combination of bullet, powder charge and shooter ability will perform great at 300. A majority of medium and large caliber rounds perform the same out to 300 before other things effect the bullet.

Rem 5r 223. Definitely sub MOA at 300 yards and it won't break the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6PPC. Its been mentioned already, but it is the most mechanically accurate round ever designed, or so say a shit ton of records and record holders and record setters.

But, for 300 the 6mmBR is the winner. </div></div>

I threw the 222 in because he did that. But that has never been done again with anything so it stands alone.

I have a 6BR and know what it can do, the round has its records for sure.
I have a 6.5G wich is a PPC improved but no personal experience with a pure PPC. So I deffer to all those who do shoot them. Its a title thats been used enough to describe it that there must be a reason.

I understand that 30BR is a short range phenom as well, like 125's @ 3K, in the .0's and no barrel wear. Talked to a couple owners that describe it as sitting back at 1-300 drilling bug holes all day. In fact I have been kind of hoping the 300 blackout would perform similarly. It would give me reason to do a pair. </div></div>

I always say that between the .222 and the 6mm PPC, the .222 is the more accurate. The 6mm PPC is always a contest winner though. More power and a heavier projectile will almost always win out when it comes to 'conditions'.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the helpful information that has been given to me. This is by far one of the most helpful forums I have ever had the privilege of being a member of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you reload? Availability of quality ammo will come into play.

L </div></div>
Valid question unaddressed. Funny topic. Add 22-250 as this needed another cartridge mentioned . Valid entry considering off the shelf performance to that range. Nothing I would personally stick more money in.

I'm going to toss in the 6.5CM. I just got mine together Monday, hit the range on Tuesday to start breaking it in. And even in a wind it shoots some amazing groups.