• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Best caliber for coyote hunting???

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I have been slowly getting into coyote hunting or predator hunting. I have a TC encore pro hunter, I am looking to get a new barrel just for coyote or whatever comes running. I have been using .308, what are you all using?Plus if you could give any advice on calls that you use that would also be appreciated!!!

Re: Best caliber for coyote hunting???

One of my favorites is the 22-250 but going beyond 400 yards I prefer something like the 308.
There are many calibers that would work well though.
Are you going to reload or buy factory ammo?
243 will work dandy as well.
Happy hunting.
....SmokeRolls

I hate these "best caliber for (insert game animal here)" type of threads.

Depending on your typical range, weather or not you plan to keep the furs, if you want an ultra light weight rifle, if you want a semi-auto...yada yada yada.

They'll all kill, effective range and destruction will play a big factor, but there will still be tons of options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate these "best caliber for (insert game animal here)" type of threads.

Depending on your typical range, weather or not you plan to keep the furs, if you want an ultra light weight rifle, if you want a semi-auto...yada yada yada.

They'll all kill, effective range and destruction will play a big factor, but there will still be tons of options. </div></div>

You must hate these threads so much that you don't even read them!
The OP stated he wants another barrel for his Encore.

So , to reply to the OP, I'd also recommend a .22-250 or .243. Both are fine, fine coyote killers with readily available factory ammo. And either will lay waste to coyote to as far as you can reasonably expect to hit one...

That said, a barrel chambered in .204 might be another option. Recoil is nill and a with good shot placement, it will make for very dead coyotes. Nice, flat trajectory out to 350yds, which is plenty for called coyotes. As with any light caliber, it's wise to keep your shots off heavy bone (shoulder) on a coyote. Take 'em chest on in the brisket, or in the lungs like a good bow shot and you'll have no problemo with a .204...

The .204 also makes for a GREAT varmint rig for woodchucks, p-dogs & such. Fun to see the 'splatter' through the scope...

As for calls, there are some very talented callmakers who build custom hand calls on the various predator hunting forums.
Or pick up a production call that you can blow easily. If you splurge for an e-caller, I've enjoyed very good success with my Foxpro as a stand alone unit, or used in conjunction with hand calls...

As you progress as a predator caller, you'll begin to realize that the actual sound you make is not nearly important as setting up properly & undetected. That comes with experience and the learning curve pretty much never stops curving...

good luck & have fun!

204 Ruger is awesome. Virtually no recoil. The sound is low enough to NOT kill your ears. Shoots flat as a laser out to about 350-375 yards, and will kill coyotes out to 500 or so.

Heres my .2 cents, 22-250 is my main go to gun for varmints. Shooting a 50gr Nosler BT, chucks the wrabbits & ground squirrels nicely. Have yet to see a coyote walk away from it.

Kc

I've got a couple foxes with .223, first was with a 55 gr Vmax out of my 16" HBAR and second with a 75 gr Amax from my 26" Savage.

No coyotes yet, but they're hard to find around here...I'm sure the results be similar. 55 Vmax kept all the fur intact but the 75 Amax blew half of it apart.

Cheytac M200 Intervention .408 - that should get the job done!

For me, depends where I hunt - 223, 22-250, 308 - basically whatever gets the job done!

223 or 22-250. can't go wrong with either.

i know a couple guys on here that hammer dogs... PGS and Senderoman have some coyote killing hammers... me, i prefer anything from the 308 to my 223, and a few in between!!!

Plain 6mmRem for me if I could only have one coyote Rifle, feeds like glass, long neck, pushes a 70gr bullet 3890fps, bucks wind better than a 22cal

I shoot only 20-30 coyotes per year, some on here shoot hundreds. I have used about everything. 22-250 is very good. 6MM Rem is very good. I have now switched to an AR in .204. It shoots right along with the best of them and kills well to over 400 yards. Shoots great to 500 yards, but I have not killed beyond 450 with it. I think it will be fine. I do not see myself switching back except on windy days and long ranges. will be using the 6MM then. I have been selling my 40x varmint rifles lately. Still have a few, but I think the Les Baer will be doing the bulk of it.

RTH

Shooting coyotes isn't rocket science and they are not hard to kill use what ever is handy at the time weather its a .17 mach 2 or a 20mm vulcan just shoot them. My personal favorite is the .204 for all the reasons stated above. If you get a chance come on out to Idaho and shoot our "big coyotes"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22-250 hands down </div></div>

thats it...

243 w 95 gr NBT.

Who am I to say.All I know is I'm still impressed with that 204 I used to have.I shouldn't of sold it!Sight it in 1.5" high at 100Y and not have to aim off the animal from up close to 300Y.

From 17 to 6.5--i love them all (well most of them)--

17 Mach IV (275 yds.)--

031_31.jpg

6.5 WSM that shoulda' been a 6.5 SAUM (435 yds.)--

066_66.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kejones1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been slowly getting into coyote hunting or predator hunting. I have a TC encore pro hunter, I am looking to get a new barrel just for coyote or whatever comes running. I have been using .308, what are you all using?Plus if you could give any advice on calls that you use that would also be appreciated!!! </div></div>

I can't say there is a best, get a couple and you'll settle on your favorite, can't ever have too many.
laugh.gif

As for calls, I like foxpro if you're goin for electronic and Sceery mouth calls. They're real easy to vary pitch.

I used a 243 with 55 grain BTs in it for over a decade and killed many many hundreds of coyotes using it. If I were forced to pick one caliber for coyotes then the 243 would get my vote.

i had a 7mm-08 that i remember being one of the greatest loads i have ever shot. check it out

scan0010-15.jpg

This old Sako L579 in .220AI has 1900 coyotes to its credit. I dont use it for calling anymore as I've switched to rifles more suited for long range but for shots in close to about 350 yards its been pretty reliable.

scan0020-9.jpg

scan0003-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd vote for a .22-250 Real flat, and not a huge caliber. If that could fit in an AR-15 I'd have one. </div></div>

6.5Grendel necked down??

Just thinking out loud.

N

Pat, you have got to killed more coyotes than anybody I know. Or any 2 people. Whats the most you have ever killed in one spot? Calling, I mean.

Seven coyotes from one spot is my personal best. This past winter I had two stands that produced five. On the first one two came in from the northeast from over a mile away and were shot at about 125 meters. I kept calling and another three showed up from the northwest after another 20 minutes or so. I stayed out until dark that day and ended up with 13. Just last week I nailed another five from the same spot and should have had six. The first one to show was a single that I got my eye on as I was setting up. He was 1200 meters out and came in to 225 meters where I shot him. I kept calling and saw a pair coming from the north, at 2600 meters on line with the one I'd just shot. They saw the the first one laying there and went right up to it. I shot both of them right there. I kept calling and about 10 minutes later five more showed up from the northeast and I ended up getting two of those at 255 meters. They were headed for the wind line and I was lucky I got them to stop. I should have had a third...when I fired from 570 meters he started to move before the bullet arrived and it hit where he was standing. I was using my 6XC that morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd vote for a .22-250 Real flat, and not a huge caliber. If that could fit in an AR-15 I'd have one. </div></div>

223 wssm works in an AR-15. Very close ballistics to the 22-250

How 'bout a .224 Howell? It fires a .425 B.C. 75 grain A-Max bullet about 3,500 feet per second requiring only 50,000 PSI according to Howell. It is nothing more than a .22-06.

223, 223AI, 223WSSM, 22-250, 243, 243WSSM, 6m/m Rem, 6m/mRemMag.

On the 22's, select a twist that will stabilize heavy bullets whose performance at distance is superior to light, short bullets. A 7" should do it. For the 6's, and 8 should do it. Fast twist won't hurt the lighter bullets too much.

I shot many coyotes when I was a kid on the chickent farm with my 308 and 22-250, and I remember at least one with a 22 long rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd vote for a .22-250 Real flat, and not a huge caliber. If that could fit in an AR-15 I'd have one. </div></div>

6.5Grendel necked down??

Just thinking out loud.

N </div></div>

Anything accurate and semi-automatic that has enough energy to kill an adrenalin charged coyote. 223 is adequate, 243 is good but can be rough on hides. On the above note, I just ordered a 6mm AR Turbo 40 upper for my AR-15. 105 gr bullet at ~ 2900 fps or 87 gr V Max at ~3100 fps.

I know this isn't too helpful for the Thompson centerfire, but IME nothing beats an AR when multiples come in.

If I was limited to a single shot I'd probably go with a 6mm BR.

223 or 22-250, is what I use. I going coyote hunting twice a week, and I have an old Weatherby Varmint Master (Japan) in 22-250 with a Nightforce on it. I have killed several coyotes, bobcats and foxes with it. For day time hunting, I really like my Remington R15 in 223 with an EO Tech and Magnifier. I would not go with the newer types of ammo out there, you have to remember some of your small towns don't have stores that sell a lot of ammo, and if things get bad, you can always fine 223 and 22-250 ammo at any Wal-mart. As far a calls, Foxpro is the way to go!!!

No matter what you choose, get out there and have a good time, and take a kid with you, so they can see there is more to life then video games!!!

they have a;ready necked the Grendel down to 22 and 20 cal

Rob at RWS Gunsmithing had a 28" AR15 with a custom bbl

of all varmint calibers I would choose the 204 as it is very efficient and costs less to feed when shooting tons of ammo at
p-dogs

I firmly believe in an all around caliber for North American hunting, and my suggestion is for the .30-'06.

For small-medium sized furbearers, Sierra makes a pair of 110gr Pro-Hunter roundnose bullets, one a RNFMJ and the other a RNSP.

The former should do less pelt damage if that's an issue, and the other will definitely deliver energy ontarget in a very disruptive manner.

Initially intended for the M-1 Carbine, these bullets take on a completely new character O/O a .30-'06.

By employing a more versatie chambering, the number of firearms a hunter needs to maintain becomes a bit more manageable.

Up here, Coyotes and Coy-Dogs can get really big; bigger than German Shepherds, and I don't want to piss one off with a .223. We see them trotting alongside the roads at night in the headlights, patrolling the verge looking for new roadkill. They get my respect.

Greg

If you shoot a KY Coyote in the shoulder with a 204 he or she will walk and or run away. Sometimes not die. Shot placement is important with a 204. I shoot a 243 with 58 gr bullets. Way flat and way destructive. I like a 204 for lots of things. Calling dogs is not one of them. This has been tested a few times. These things are harder than you think to put down. I beleive you should shoot them with a little bigger bullet. I will preface that and say I have not shot them with 40 grainers.

I use a 243 with 85g gamekings or interbonds. Both shoot great out of my 10 twist and kill dogs dead. They are tough on hides if you're into selling them. They kill NC whitetail with spectacular ease as well. For soft skinned medium size animals, it's hard to beat a 243 for an easy shooting, leathal, and plentiful factory ammo round.

I don't really believe there is such a thing as "best" but if I could only pick one it would be something in the 6mm/.243 caliber section.

Is it the only thing you're going to be hunting with it? If so 223 or 243 are good rounds.

I get a kick out of guys claiming "500 yard killing potential" of the .204 on coyotes. How many have made substantial kill numbers at that range with that caliber to make that claim? Im not talking one or two doggies either. The .204 is toward the bottom of the list for bona fide coyote calibers in my book. At least from what ive seen of it in the field.

If you want to save fur and you reload, its tough to beat a .22-250 at ranges out to 400.

If you just want "dead dogs", pick up a .243 or anything bigger and enjoy the added range and multi purpose performance it gives you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0010-15.jpg

scan0020-9.jpg

scan0003-3.jpg
</div></div>
PGS, please tell me there are lots of jobs available is Glasgow, Montana! How about any jobs at all ...
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get a kick out of guys claiming "500 yard killing potential" of the .204 on coyotes. How many have made substantial kill numbers at that range with that caliber to make that claim? Im not talking one or two doggies either. The .204 is toward the bottom of the list for bona fide coyote calibers in my book. At least from what ive seen of it in the field.

If you want to save fur and you reload, its tough to beat a .22-250 at ranges out to 400.

If you just want "dead dogs", pick up a .243 or anything bigger and enjoy the added range and multi purpose performance it gives you. </div></div>

+1 ive pretty much always used a 223 and killed my fare share.. However I would get runners. Ive seen coyotes with there insides blown out and still going.... Im going to be running a grendel this year
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot a KY Coyote in the shoulder with a 204 he or she will walk and or run away. Sometimes not die. Shot placement is important with a 204. I shoot a 243 with 58 gr bullets. Way flat and way destructive. I like a 204 for lots of things. Calling dogs is not one of them. This has been tested a few times. These things are harder than you think to put down. I beleive you should shoot them with a little bigger bullet. I will preface that and say I have not shot them with 40 grainers. </div></div>

I killed a 57lb coy dog in Washington Co with 40 grain ballistic tip (Nosler). He never knew what hit 'em.

Centerfire . PHFffffffft
.22 subsonic & suppressed is GTG .
-
subsonic38HPcoyote.jpg

I say .22-250..

PGS that rifle must have weeks worth of stories. 1900 coyotes with one rifles is insane. 1900 coyotes in ones lifetime seems insane, let alone with one rifle.

I hunt songdogs a fair amount out on the sagebrush sea of the Great Basin.

While most of mine have been killed with .223s, I consider the 6mm Rem my ideal droppers.

The 6mm Rem class of cartridges seem to have what it takes to lessen the likelyhood of runners and does much better in the wind than the .223 class cartridges.

.223 Tikka:

October07007.jpg

Everywhere I go the consensus seems to be w/ the 22-250

Personally, I'm a .223 guy