• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best caliber recommendation (and why) for Gas Gun PRS matches and long range steel fun?

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I'm sure this is always a hotly debated topic and I'm not looking for the 1 perfect answer, as I know that there are as many opinions as there are shooters out there. But I'm looking to make a decision on a caliber for a semi-auto build that is intended for PRS matches and just fun on steel out to at least 1K. The Gas Gun PRS matches in my area are typically out to 6-800 yds, but occasionally I'm told they stretch out to 1K and a bit every once in a while. My range has steel out to 1350 (and soon further), so LR shooting is a normal thing. Also, I'm primarily a reloader - so that is also a factor.

Also, not interested in any magnum calibers.

So rather than ask what is THE best caliber, I'm interested in recommendations and why you recommend it over others for something in either 6mm or 6.5mm bore range that (roughly) falls within the following criteria:
    1. Good Long distance performance and accuracy
    2. "Reasonable" barrel life
    3. Ease of reloading (Components, Match quality brass availability, etc)
    4. Feeding/reliability in a gas gun
    5. Recoil control in fast stages
    I'm probably describing a 6.5CM, but am curious about any of the other calibers such as 6.5PRC, 6 & 6.5 ARC, 6CM, etc.

And as a follow-up question: while I'm sure this is an entire topic unto itself - assuming barrel life was NOT an issue - are the 6mm rounds such as 6CM, .243Win, always going to have better ballistics for trajectory and wind, all other things being equal?

TIA

Last edited:
    Reactions: SeaBassHWD
    6cm, br... will be more accurate (potentially) than 6.5, but offer other challenges, like getting components and possible feeding issues although that is just from reading and not owning one.
    these days i would start with components you can get in sufficient quantities and work backward.

Ive used my 3 gun rifle in 556 in Gasgun and taken it past 1000 with no issues. We even have a few 223 bolt guns in our club that regularly shoot and do very well. If I were to build a dedicated rifle I would go with 6mm something most likely.

Ive debating building a 6.5 creed upper (or buyin GBA KAC 6.5 22”) to go on top of my SR25 lower. I like it over the 260 as the longer bullets can be seated to mag length whereas the 260 is not as forgiving in this respect. Same logic applies to the 6mm creedmoor vs 243 except bbl life is a bit longer with the 6.5mm stuff but if not and issue thinking the advantages of the 6mm stuff (lighter recoil faster back on target, less likelihood of developing a flinch) makes it a better choice for comps.

just my .02
    I've been pondering that about the 6mm vs the 6.5s as well. I'm not a fan of the barrel life of the 6mm's, but I guess it's easy enough (relatively) to change a barrel in an AR and it's only money, right? LOL

6cm, br... will be more accurate (potentially) than 6.5, but offer other challenges, like getting components and possible feeding issues although that is just from reading and not owning one.
    these days i would start with components you can get in sufficient quantities and work backward.
    Interestingly, I'm seeing a LOT more match grade 6mm bullets in stock right now than I do 6.5mm.

Ive debating building a 6.5 creed upper (or buyin GBA KAC 6.5 22”) to go on top of my SR25 lower. I like it over the 260 as the longer bullets can be seated to mag length whereas the 260 is not as forgiving in this respect. Same logic applies to the 6mm creedmoor vs 243 except bbl life is a bit longer with the 6.5mm stuff but if not and issue thinking the advantages of the 6mm stuff (lighter recoil faster back on target, less likelihood of developing a flinch) makes it a better choice for comps.

just my .02
    Get the KAC 22" 6.5 CM and you're done 💪

Reactions: Northman623
    GAP is building a badass Gay Tiger, based on a Seekins platform. George Gardner is shooting one in PRS this year.

You need to decide large frame or small frame before you lump all the chamberings together and start comparing ballistics.

Large frame will always have the edge in ballistics.

Small frame will always have lower recoil, lower weight, ease of building/parts compatibility and better barrel life.

Decide which things you prioritize higher then compare ballistics depending on the cartridges compatible with your chosen platform size.

You need to decide large frame or small frame before you lump all the chamberings together and start comparing ballistics.

Large frame will always have the edge in ballistics.

Small frame will always have lower recoil, lower weight, ease of building/parts compatibility and better barrel life.

Decide which things you prioritize higher then compare ballistics depending on the cartridges compatible with your chosen platform size.

OK sorry, I assumed all the calibers I listed were Large frame. I stand corrected on 6 ARC. I thought that was large frame as well. Large Frame is all I was interested in.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    I've been looking at either 25 x 47 or 6.5 x 47 for my next large frame gasser. This would be geared for the Geissele gas gun series.
    The x 47 cases work out very well in a large gasser having about 2.800 OAL with the long high BC pills.

25cal =
    Blackjack 131 Ace G7 .340 min twist 1/7.5
    New Berger 135 G7 .334 min twist 1/8
    PVA Seneca 120 mono solid G7 .355 min twist 1/7.25

6.5 obviously plenty of options.
    Pretty sure X caliber has reamers for both the above.

25 x 47 thread on here.

My bolt PRS rifles are 6 Creed. When I recently rebarrelled my gas gun, I stayed with 6.5 Creed. It's just a great all-purpose round, it feeds and extracts well, and I like having the option to shoot factory ammo.

Reactions: Northman623

just my .02
    I sold my GAP10 260 and built a 6.5CM Mega for the same reason as your first 2 sentences. If I were to build another upper, I would probably also lean to a 6CM and use a +2 barrel. If I could find another Mega MKM upper, I probably would do just that.

Reactions: nn8734
    LOL, you're not far off from the truth!
    I know, scary 😦

I sold my GAP10 260 and built a 6.5CM Mega for the same reason as your first 2 sentences. If I were to build another upper, I would probably also lean to a 6CM and use a +2 barrel. If I could find another Mega MKM upper, I probably would do just that.
    Liking the idea of a 6.5cm upper more and more...130 Berger shits all over the 175smk and should fit nicely in the mags. The 6cm is a neat caliber, nice soft recoil and effective to 1000m+ , trade off bring barrel life.

Watched an Ultimate Reloader video where Gavin talks about the 25 Creedmoor with those 131 Blackjack bullets. They have stupid-high BC and he says felt recoil is in between the 6.5 and 6cm. Potentially, another barrel for my AXMC in the near future, perhaps...

This hobby is going to put me out on the street but I can say this: of all the other hobos that will be living underneath the freeway ramp with me, I will have the best long range shit by far, haha.

I shot my first PRS match last month with my DPMS LR in .243 Win. The other rifles competing in the gas gun division that day were all AR15s firing 5.56. I like to think I had an advantage over them in long range accuracy, particularly at targets at 850-1000 yards. Learned a lot that first day that I will apply to the match next month - mostly gear and scope related. Regardless of your cartridge choice, the most important take-away is to just get out there and do it.

I don't think the .243 Win is losing much to the 6 CM. I handload using 95gr SMKs at a reasonable velocity and maximum cartridge length for mags to achieve less than 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards and the ability to hit the target 1000.

just my .02
    I do not completely disagree with this statement as it is 100% true. However, the one reason I really like the 260 in a gas gun is because of the brass. At this point, I do have to state that I shoot matches with my 260. As such, the appeal of having multiple options for brass (.308, 7mm-08, .243) is nice, especially when you can find Winchester brass.

I don't give two shits if that gas guns chucks one of those cases into some far away land, so it is fantastic for that. That being said, I have a couple of 6.5CM bolt guns and I love that round.

Last thing to throw out there for consideration is barrel life. Obviously, the 6.5's get better barrel life, in any rifle- bolt or gas. Normally, one's cadence of fire is faster with a gas gun. That faster pace increases heat quickly. Heat destroys barrels, hence my argument is to go with a 6.5 and be done with it. If the brass issue is not of much concern to you, get the Creed.

I have a 6 Creed in a Mega-Maten build with a 22" Dracos barrel. I'm moving 105 hybrids around 2900fps with 40 grains of 4350. I use ADG brass, there's room for more speed but your brass would be getting thrashed. It shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA consistently.

As for your list:

1. 800-1000 yards is a chip shot with the 6 creed. I shoot on the western slope of Colorado and the wind here can be a bitch. But it bucks wind pretty good. I will say especially with ARs, accuracy goes hand in hand with your build quality/specs and what you're feeding it.

2. Barrel life? 1200 maybe? I'm thinking closer to 1000. It's easy to get hot and heavy with the trigger in a gas gun. Not the best in barrel life category by any means.

3. All components as you know are tough right now. But 6 creed has plenty of quality brass options. Get some H4350 and you're off to the races. Plenty of load data out there for gas guns.

4. I haven't had any feeding/ reliability issues. However, I run a adjustable gas key on my BCG. Really helps with tuning the gas system. I use standard ar10 mags for 308 with no issues.

5. I run a Hellfire on the end of mine. I feel like with the gas system dialed in and a good brake on the end. The recoil impulse is a slow rock/push. So follow up shots are not an issue.

Overall, I enjoy the 6 creed in an AR10 platform. I'll probably get another couple barrels coming and just deal with that being the only downside I see.

I've been looking at picking up one of the Knights 6.5 uppers. Does anyone have an estimate on barrel life yet, or are they still too new? The prospect of regularly smoking a barrel that costs $1,000 + and requires a trip back to the factory is a little scary.

Large frame 6GT, small frame 6 ARC.

I’m just gettting started with PRS. But when I asked Eric at www.SgtofArms.com about a large frame gasser for competition and a small frame for hunting and practice, that’s what he recommended.

I’ve heard some of the guys at Bragg are running Sargeant of Arms gear in PRS and winning, so I thought I’d start there.

Reactions: Yondering
    M107A1.

It’s the multipurpose, do-it-all rifle. 2Km shooting, CQB/Home Defense, Coyote hunting, repelling MRAPs. It gets the job done.

Light. Discreet. Concealable.

F83AE39E-83BF-493B-963D-6C02F486070C.jpeg

I've been using a 6CM with pretty good success.
    Yep, I decided to pull the trigger (so to speak) on the 6CM. I'm having another complete upper built in that caliber to go along with my .260 upper. Easy swap using the same lower. Best of both worlds.

Plus it provides plausible deniability to CINC Wife. "No honey, of course I didn't buy another gun". ;)

I can totally see why you'd run the EOTECH on the .50 and the big scope on the SCAR. :LOL:

That’s in Home Defense / CQB configuration.

Here it is in nighttime yote hunting mode:
    8949DA44-3048-4DDA-86A7-B674FB83A204.jpeg

See? The most versatile weapon platform available.

The Barrett M107A1. :giggle:

That’s in Home Defense / CQB configuration.

Here it is in nighttime yote hunting mode:
    View attachment 7585530

See? The most versatile weapon platform available.

The Barrett M107A1. :giggle:

Damn, I hope the word doesn't get around to the Yotes out here to start wearing body armor like yours do. Or is the Barrett for when they barricade themselves behind a Hesco wall?

Damn, I hope the word doesn't get around to the Yotes out here to start wearing body armor like yours do. Or is the Barrett for when they barricade themselves behind a Hesco wall?
    Bama yotes shoot back. They have a whole mechanized division in my AO.

Reactions: FriedAss