• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best camera for trash dumpers

Sgtsideways

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Usa
New to this forum and am currently looking for a camera with both day and night capability. Problem is I'm having people dumping trash on the property about 1/4 mile from the house in a heavily wooded area. I've looked at the game cameras with the sd cards but I'm not sure they will trigger at a distance farther thatn 100 ft. I'm figuring that they would be able to see a game camera aimed at the road if placed to close.

any ideas that you guys can come up with or suggestions?

We have Moultrie wireless and they work awesome. If you get good cell service at the site this is the answer. Best thing about them is you can put close to the site up in a tree which makes them less likely to be seen and you don’t have to get to camera to see pics. Also with the wireless by the time there stolen you have all the pictures you need to press charges for trespassing and theft. I’ve also been told the cost of the camera and the service you pay for wireless can all be tallied up if stolen which can easily be made a felony amount with the right lawyer which puts a penalty on these losers that makes them think twice in the future.

Reactions: 338dude
No they just use a county road to dump from and it is well covered by canopy above. I was hoping to not have to go the cell route as we already have a rather expensive bill each month.

The cell route is totally worth it. It will literally send you pictures while it’s happening which will make it possible to get the law out there. Our MoultrieMobile have person recognition so it will only alert you if it’s a person if you want it that way.

The cell route plus double face tape in the camera covering all places excepo those that interfere with colecting images. After mounting camera in place attach local vegetation to the double face tape for 3D camo.

So it's lookin a lot like the only route is the cell angle due to the distance involved. I was really hoping for wifi like they have for some of the target cameras that can reach out to 1000 yds+
I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone, but what is the typical triggering distance that these cameras have and does it have to be line of sight?

Don’t be afraid to get it close to the location just have to be stealthy how you put it. The tape idea is a good one. Just remember with the cell camera they can’t steal it without already having there picture taken unlike a regular camera with an sd card where when they steal it you get no picture. I almost want mine to get stolen or vandalized so I can get them on a felony theft instead of dumping trash.

Also look for places to put it that’s not on a tree. I live in the mountains and the cameras I use for security are almost always in a rock cropping, clump of roots or something incognito

Reactions: lash
Great ideas guys. I'll start doing the research, just wondering if you can use several cameras and be covered under the same cell plan? appears to be a lot of choices for cameras and plans.

The cuddee back cameras link together under one plan but I have no experience with there performance

Reactions: Sgtsideways
Cuddee seems like a likely choice, I'm just not sure how they handle returns if you don't like the system. Not shown on their website either. Thank you for the suggestions.

Tacticam reveals have been working great for us. We are running 8. 13$ a month unlimited pictures.

Reactions: Sgtsideways
Do you want to catch them or stop the dumping?

If the later just put a fake camera on a pole mount and they will keep on going.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
There are many commercial options... especially if you how 110v power at the dumpster....PtP inexpensive Nanobeam setup good for over 10 miles line of site...then a vandal dome or bullet camera on the dumpster....

More expensive option would be a speed dome PTZ at the main house/building viewing dumpster again with line of site...$$$$$$$

Both options allow for line crossing and hit boxes with instant notification to your apple/Android phone or email free of charge. No subscription fees

Reconyx is my brand. I have used them to catch trash dumpers and other incidents in my old job. Reconyx have a plate capture camera which is helpful. I would use the plate capture to get the plate and I would use the Reconyx cell camera to get an overview and I could review it on my cell phone seconds after it was taken. Here is their website.https://www.reconyx.com/product/Security_Series

Edit: These are some photos I took of a vehicle at my residence with a Reconyx. The passenger is a convicted felon I had "issues" with. He liked driving past my house with his "friend."
IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

Last edited:
Went ahead and called or tried to call tactacam and cuddee. Cudde cus service rep. was the worst I've ever spoken to for front line phone rep. Just plain rude and didn't care a rat's ass.
Tactacam was just about as bad with the automated phone system that was a bunch of crap to. If you don't have a smart phone then don't bother.
I called a deer hunter and ffl that I know. He really likes the tactacam, but hates the company. Loves the camera and is going to demo it for me as he is a dealer for them.
Thanks to all of you for the help. I'll call reconyx next and see if I can talk to a human.

Reactions: RTH1800
Forget the camera and lay down a few rows of spikes in the road. A few to 4 flats will teach them and anyone else to never come back.

Reactions: awonder
You guys that want to lay down the spikes and while it is tempting, I just can't do it due it being a county road. It would end up harming others vehicles that don't dump. If it were my own property, then not a problem.
This morning as I was driving home, somebody had dumped a big couch about a 1/2mile from our place. Really is disgusting. Myquestion is if you catch them on camera or in person will le do anything about it? Around here they aren't very gung ho.

You guys that want to lay down the spikes and while it is tempting, I just can't do it due it being a county road. It would end up harming others vehicles that don't dump. If it were my own property, then not a problem.
This morning as I was driving home, somebody had dumped a big couch about a 1/2mile from our place. Really is disgusting. Myquestion is if you catch them on camera or in person will le do anything about it? Around here they aren't very gung ho.

My guess is that you would have to swear out a warrant. The police won't because they didn't see the offense.

At least this is my understanding of how this works. But I'm not a Holiday Inn lawyer, so my comment means nothing. Carry on!

In Oregon under state law its called Offensive Littering. I have had good luck getting the County Sheriff to cite them into court, fine or get them to clean it up under threat of fines. If they dump on Public Land its a federal crime.

Another thing you could do is have some signs printed that say. NO DUMPING AREA UNDER VIDEO SURVEILLANCE then list the fine and law for your area. Then don't put out any cameras that might get found and stolen. This might make them choose some place else to dump.

Also if you do put out cameras and the local po po won't do anything, you can print their photos of them dumping and say "DUMPER THIS PERSON OBSERVED DUMPING GARBAGE NEAR XYZ." Then put the photo up on bulletin boards in convenience stores where they may see themselves pasted on the wall.

I have done all these things. I also had a friend post a picture on facebook of an unidentified dumper. Fearing they would get exposed they called me and made arrangements to clean up her mess in lieu of a fine.

edit: A photo of them dumping. A photo of a vehicle license plate of them dumping, a piece of mail with their name and address on it is plenty evidence for the police to do something. If they don't they are just being lazy.

Reactions: lash and Sgt47
We had a bunch of trash dumped on a hunting lease a few years back. As soon as I peaked in the first bag there was Mail. Local sheriff realized it was an older local lady that was paying a family member to take her stuff to the dump. he was pocketing the cash. Sheriff issued him a citation and he had the guy clean it all up the same day.

We had a bunch of trash dumped on a hunting lease a few years back. As soon as I peaked in the first bag there was Mail. Local sheriff realized it was an older local lady that was paying a family member to take her stuff to the dump. he was pocketing the cash. Sheriff issued him a citation and he had the guy clean it all up the same day.

That's the way it should be.

my ex bro inlaw used to dump his trash random places....the DNR caught him cause the dumb fluk left all their mail in it too....the guy was a grade A dipshit from day 1. OP, i have game cameras that I have recessed into old stumps ect... makes them tougher to spot. If you are ever looking for a game camera, sometimes by looking thru your cellphone is pic mode, you can see the ir flash of the game camera...

Reactions: lash and DuneBoer
My experience with this is that folks are not very observant. Amazing how they overlook cameras. Most cannot tell a cellular camera from a non cellular and fear them all.
You can also set cameras in “interlocking fields of fire.” Can’t get to one without exposing yourself to others.
Dumpers are lazy and will likely move on if you make it slightly difficult.
Our local LE will do nothing. But if you upset a dumper they threaten you with arrest etc. other areas are possibly different.

^Pretty much the same in my AO, except it's not LE refusing to do anything but rather the liberal judges that wont support LE. They claim you cant reasonably prove who actually did the dumping even if names/addresses are found amongst it. And, to be fair, in rare cases with the handicapped/elderly who rely on others to haul off their trash this is true. BUT, the law states that if names are found its theirs whether they dumped it or not.
Anymore I dont even bother with calling LE, if I find names ill gather it up and return it to its rightful owner. Havent had any repeat offenders to date.
If no id, I'll haul it to a collection site along with my own garbage.
Havent had the pleasure of catching anybody in the act but it's only a matter of time...

Reactions: 07SGT4623
Its lookin like the tactacam reveal is the one I want to go with. Big problem is that I can't find any of them. Anyone know of a seller with reveals in stock?

Reconyx is my brand. I have used them to catch trash dumpers and other incidents in my old job. Reconyx have a plate capture camera which is helpful. I would use the plate capture to get the plate and I would use the Reconyx cell camera to get an overview and I could review it on my cell phone seconds after it was taken. Here is their website.https://www.reconyx.com/product/Security_Series

Edit: These are some photos I took of a vehicle at my residence with a Reconyx. The passenger is a convicted felon I had "issues" with. He liked driving past my house with his "friend." View attachment 7551913
View attachment 7551914
Just bought a Reconyx should be here early next week, thanks

I only have experience with the Spypoint and Moultri. Could never get the Spypoint to work properly, no issues with the Moultrie.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I'd show up to the police station and talk to someone in charge. Be sure to ask them if bringing it up at the next city council meeting could get more support if they give you the brush off.

I'd show up to the police station and talk to someone in charge. Be sure to ask them if bringing it up at the next city council meeting could get more support if they give you the brush off.
From my experience they’ll make it sound like there going to drop the hammer on the guys and then I never see them lift a finger. Unfortunately it seems this way around me, they want to help but have more important things to do I guess.

My experience is they don’t care in the least unless a dumper feels violated. Then they get all wound up.

Last edited:
I had a dumping problem on a property I owned many years back. Kept getting fined for ordnance violations also over the garbage. I did get some relief from the fines, but sold the property...
I feel for you!

Just bought a Reconyx should be here early next week, thanks
set it up today couldn’t be happier, will by two more over the next couple of months @ $600 a pop need to spread out the pain

set it up today couldn’t be happier, will by two more over the next couple of months @ $600 a pop need to spread out the pain

Just buy them now and get over the pain. It's like pealing off a band aid. Rip it off all at once. Pay off the credit card or replace the money in a savings account over the same amount of time. But you have the cameras in case something happens over the next few months.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
No live video you can request a photo and it takes about 2 seconds to get it

View attachment 7570853
View attachment 7570855

View attachment 7570856

View attachment 7570858
Ok, so help me out here understanding the cell plan . You got $5 cellular access , $5 for real time acces , and $5 data plan . The data plan is where I'm confused. The way I read it you get 20,000 images (1 gb of cloud storage)with the cell plan and every( 1 block ) 2000 images over the first 20,000 is an extra $5 . Is that correct ? So it would be $10 a month (per camera) unless you go over your 1 gb storage .
My other question is , do erased images still count towards your total storage ?

Ok, so help me out here understanding the cell plan . You got $5 cellular access , $5 for real time acces , and $5 data plan . The data plan is where I'm confused. The way I read it you get 20,000 images (1 gb of cloud storage)with the cell plan and every( 1 block ) 2000 images over the first 20,000 is an extra $5 . Is that correct ? So it would be $10 a month (per camera) unless you go over your 1 gb storage .
My other question is , do erased images still count towards your total storage ?
So I am still learning. Just signed up 2 weeks ago. Just called them the $5 includes 200 captured images and after that $5 blocks for 2,0000. They are working on a pause feature which should come out in the very near future. So this weekend I was working in front of it and it took 600 images of me. What he recommended in the meantime is when doing that go into the camera settings and turn off motion activated but to remember to turn it back on

078CBB2D-6A8C-48BB-BE2A-691EE9A6DCF6.png

37C9083C-9BC7-43F7-9671-308CB2B43419.png

So from what I see so far I'm with @Sgtsideways on the tactacam .
Would be the way to go if you could get one but there not much good if they are unobtainium.
I like the reconyx but $600 a camera is hard to swallow .

I see no one has mentioned the vosker cams , basically $350 for camera and $20 a month for service.

Can you moultrie guys attest to the quality of the cameras , any issues ?
Evidently the moultrie cameras are sold out like the tactacams . 😠

Last edited: