• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

jkramlich

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
I don’t mean to beat around a dead horse, but I am needing some opinions on the best quality suppressor for a 6.5 creedmoor. I have talked with many different local shooters and they all seem to give different answers. Weight isn’t really a big deal as this specific rifle will be used for bench rest shooting. Basically I’m looking for the best decibel reduction at the ear and down range. Thank you all!

Rifle specs: Greyboe stock, defiance action, proof 26” barrel 5/8-24” thread, triggertech diamond, Vortex Razor gen ii, Atlas bipod.

I don’t mean to beat around a dead horse, but I am needing some opinions on the best quality suppressor for a 6.5 creedmoor. I have talked with many different local shooters and they all seem to give different answers. Weight isn’t really a big deal as this specific rifle will be used for bench rest shooting. Basically I’m looking for the best decibel reduction at the ear and down range. Thank you all!

Rifle specs: Greyboe stock, defiance action, proof 26” barrel 5/8-24” thread, triggertech diamond, Vortex Razor gen ii, Atlas bipod.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-37-cgs-hyperion-surgeon-65cm

22" Surgeon Scalpel with the cgs Hyperion is quiter at the ear than a Q Half Nelson on a 8" mini fix with subsonic 300 blk.

https://pewscience.com/sound-signature-reviews-free/sss-6-29-half-nelson-minifix-300blk

If sound is your primary concern the CGS Hyperion is the quietest .30 cal silencer ever made (of what Jay has tested). PewScience is the only full waveform suppression testing and the new industry standard for full waveform impulse/pressure and how it interacts with the inner ear.

CGS Hyperion on 6.5 Creed

If not the CGS Hyperion than the Otter Creed Labs PR30L.

Otter Creek PR30L

Again, if sound is your primary concern, you’d be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t analyze PewScience Data!

If sound is your primary concern the CGS Hyperion is the quietest .30 cal silencer ever made (of what Jay has tested). PewScience is the only full waveform suppression testing and the new industry standard for full waveform impulse/pressure and how it interacts with the inner ear.

Otter Creek PR30L

Again, if sound is your primary concern, you’d be doing yourself a disservice if you didn’t analyze PewScience Data!
Sound isn't the end all be all in choosing a suppressor. In the real world, you are not walking around with a sound meter. Accuracy would be my #1 priority.

Sound isn't the end all be all in choosing a suppressor. In the real world, you are not walking around with a sound meter. Accuracy would be my #1 priority.

But he is walking around with ears….and he states that he is “looking for the best decibel reduction at the ear and down range.

OP:
The reason there’s so many opinions is that almost any suppressor is such a vast improvement over unsuppressed. However, there’s also a reason that Thunderbeast suppressors are so popular with precision shooters. If you can swing the price of an Ultra 338, you’ll have a high quality piece of equipment that will grow to whatever caliber you find yourself shooting, will be as quiet as you can reasonably expect, will cause limited POI shift, and is the gold standard for “precision” rifle systems.

with no size restrictions, I'd definitely recommend the 338ULTRA. I've used mine on my 300WM, 338RUM, 25 creedmoor. It is capable of taking even the 338RUM down to truly hearing safe levels. when I use it on the 25 creed, the sound level is truly pleasant and could be used without ear pro all day on that gun. it's a big bitch, but very very effective. can internal volume rules.

I can confirm that an Ultra 338 SR works fine on 6.5CM. If indeed it's is only to be used off a bench, then it seems hard to go wrong with this or a similar "XL" can. If there is a chance that it might someday be used for hunting, then either compromise with a midsized suppressor, or better yet, buy a second compact suppressor.

Reactions: jkramlich

Otter Creek PR30L

Otter Creek makes a 6.5 can as well that Andrew says is noticeably quieter to shooter on 6mm-6.5mm projectiles vs the PR30.

i have 3 cans. ultra 9 30 cal, ultra 7 6.5, and silencer co omega 30 cal. only regret is not keeping them all 30 cal. the TB cans swap between rifles with no shift. works very well with area 419 adapters/brakes. i cant tell the sound difference between 7in and 9in and dia. shorter is always better in this case.

edit. didnt realize i cut this out.

TBAC cans work very well. I dont have a 338 can but been around them. They are very quiet on 6.5 cm. If size/weight does not matter than thats your can. If size ever becomes an issue, you want to take it hunting, or shoot a match you cant go wrong with the ultra 7 or 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkramlich
I would get the 6.5 Ultra 9
Agreed. The Ultra 9 Gen 2 6.5 is one of the quietest silencer I've ever tested on 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5PRC. The Ultra 7 Gen 2 6.5 and Energetic Lux 6.5 are about the same suppression wise, certainly quiet enough for hunting. But, if you want it for a bench gun, get the TBAC 338 Ultra, it is absolutely the quietest silencer currently available.

Thank you all for the replies. I woke up this morning and had to do quite a bit of research. Although I am looking for the quietest decibel reading, I am also taking accuracy into account. At 400 yards, I and the gun are capable of shooting groups inside a silver dollar. I’d still like to hold this value or get it even better

Thank you all for the replies. I woke up this morning and had to do quite a bit of research. Although I am looking for the quietest decibel reading, I am also taking accuracy into account. At 400 yards, I and the gun are capable of shooting groups inside a silver dollar. I’d still like to hold this value or get it even better
The answer is clear for your use case, the TBAC Ultra 338 is the way to go. Use coupon code THANKS for a little help on the price.

/thread

TBAC Gen2 Ultra 9 or 7 in 6.5mm end cap. I shoot the Ultra 7 6.5mm and don’t feel the need to try anything else.

I would get the Dead Air Nomad-LT. I have one, and it's amazing on my .260 Remington (basically the same thing as 6.5 CM). Hearing safe, and accurate. One of the best sounding and quietest cans I've ever heard. And I'm not just saying that because I own one. I have no stake in what you spend your money on. I'm just saying that because it is what it is.

This may sound silly, but I don’t know much about suppressors. I see mention of using 338 and 30 cal on a 6.5 CM. What are some Pro/Con on using oversized can on a small cal rifle? Is the pro having the ability to interchange it on larger cal rifles if you have or will have them?

I have a 6.5 CM with 419 Hellfire MB on it.

yes, when you have a 308 cal can, generally you can use it on any caliber smaller than the 308 cal. same with 338. also, generally speaking, the 338 cans are larger due to the size of cartridges usually used. When I use the 338ultra on even my 338RUM, it's hearing safe because of the build quality and overall internal volume. It's way oversized for anything smaller, but that makes it very nice to use on the smaller stuff. I use it on my 300wm during deer season because it's so quiet.

This may sound silly, but I don’t know much about suppressors. I see mention of using 338 and 30 cal on a 6.5 CM. What are some Pro/Con on using oversized can on a small cal rifle? Is the pro having the ability to interchange it on larger cal rifles if you have or will have them?

I have a 6.5 CM with 419 Hellfire MB on it.

There are just significantly more .30 cal cans than there are .260 cans.

On semi autos the higher flow rate will produce less backpressure.

Generally 6.5 sounds good in a 30 cal can. It's just more versatile. A 6.5 dedicated can should be a bit more quiet depending on manufacturer but it just limits your use. So it's up to you. Generally people recommend a 30 cal can first then if you want a dedicated .260 get it after.

Reactions: FuhQ
i gotta say, have a tbac ultra 7 in 6.5 for my 6.5 creed and prc rifles. they're both still pretty friggin loud and have recoil jump (they are relatively light hunting rifles). really haven't shot them without the can so hard to compare noise and recoil/jump.