• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Car Wash & Wax

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
With so many options for car wash and wax out there, I want to know what you consider the best. I don't want any swirls, lines, dulling, fading, or anything. What's the best car wash, pre-wax, wax, whatever you've found to use on your car? I want a smooth, shiny finish on my silver car, and I don't trust any of the detailers around here not to swirl the crap out of it. Suggestions, please? I know there are plenty of very particular car guys on here, so thanks in advance y'all.

Re: Best Car Wash & Wax

I usually try to find a sorority washing cars while in bikinis.

The rain usually washes my truck for me, but we haven't had any lately. It's pretty dang dirty. No swirl marks though!
When there's too much hog blood or fish slime and scales on the tailgate, I go to the quarter wash and spray it down.
Hope this helps!
CW

Zymol in my opinion is the best. Of course that was 10 years ago when I actually cared about my car. Im not sure if its still the best.

Man, I was half expecting to pictures and or a video! I feel ripped off! Paging Boltripper!

I know some folks that swear by Liquid Glass wax, and their cars always look sharp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zymol in my opinion is the best. Of course that was 10 years ago when I actually cared about my car. Im not sure if its still the best. </div></div>
You beat me to it. Zymol is the best. Always used their wax on my Anglia and Corvette. Stuff is amazing. Get done and set a towel on ANYTHING that is not perfectly flat and it will slide right off the car.
http://www.zymol.com/paint-3.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 144:1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zymol in my opinion is the best. Of course that was 10 years ago when I actually cared about my car. Im not sure if its still the best. </div></div>

I used to do the same when I cared. I actually used the whole Mequiars system. Most washes are the same but I would stay away from ones that have "Protective" wax or shine already in them because that just gives you more work if you're doing a full detail.

Just get a plain wash.

Most people don't know that "wax" and "polish" are two completely different things.

The polish is to restore your cars gloss and finish clearing up all imperfections and surface scratches. Wax is there to protect the now polished surface. I used Meguiars 105 and 205 myself. 105 is more of the heavy duty one if you have big scratches. Use 205 if your finish is pretty new. If not, wash it then use a clay bar to remove everything. Then go on with the polish, then wax to protect.

Wax, choose the one you like, which in this case, Zymol is a good choice.

Electric polishers/buffers will save your arm but can also destroy your finish if you don't know how to use them. Sorry if you knew about this whole process, just ignore if you did.

Spend hours doing that and your car will always look wet. You really wont have to wash it for months unless you get splashed on. A "California Car Duster" will be all you need to clean as dust will literally fall off the car. If you have some splashes, just use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off with soapy water.

Sorry for the essay, cars is my first hobby...

I've got a California Duster already. The car is a 2011, we've had it for 6 months now and it's time for a good pre-winter waxing. There aren't any scratches or anything, so I'm hoping that by starting with a good base I can use a good wax and keep it shiny and protected through our salty winter. I'm not planning on going electric; I'll be doing it all by hand. Thanks for the information so far guys, I appreciate it all and thanks in advance to anyone else who helps out.

If it's brand new paint and has never been waxed, I'd try what a lot of the new school detailing nerds that I know use, <span style="font-weight: bold">Klasse High Gloss Sealant</span> and follow with <span style="font-weight: bold">P21S</span>. You can google to find those products and learn what they're about. Neither have you waxing in circles, which causes the swirl. Swirls come from people using OTC waxes with abrasives in them. A lot of guys use the <span style="font-weight: bold">grid</span> method of applying and removing to combat swirls. Some of the guys are even anal enough to wash using the grid method haha.

Klasse AIO
Klasse Sealant
PS21S Wax

In that <span style="font-weight: bold">order</span>.

Swirls are caused by wash guys tired, hot, who are using a dirty sponge or cloth. You won't believe it. Oblivious or not, they sometimes drop the drying cloth, that is probably not microfiber to start with, on the ground, pick it right back up, and resume drying your car with the same cloth that is now effectively a piece of sandpaper. Do it your self. Its the only way to get it right. You are the only one who cares about your car, your gun, your family....all that. And doing it yourself right is fun.

Swirls are also caused by using the wrong cloth to dry the car. Also, they are caused by using too much pressure on the surface to clean and dry the surface. We're not cleaning a dump truck, remember?

I have a black Cayman I bought new in '08 and I wash it a coupla times weekly. Has no swirls that I know of.

Do not run your car through a touch-free car wash. The detergent is extremely strong and dries the window rubber seals, not to mention stripping any wax off the paint surface. Any bug splat or bird manure right after that wash will stick and the acid will harm the finish.

In a shade area, hand wash your car with a soft, new, wool or micro-fiber mitt using little pressure on the paint's surface, and little or no soap. Soap is a degreaser. Your car is not the draw-works on a drilling rig. Use one mitt for the top surfaces, another for the running boards and lower sides where dirt gets slung upon by the tires. Try hard to spray that crap off before rubbing it into your pain finish. Yes. Two different mitts. Never switch them. Top. Bottom. Once finished wash the mitts along with your clothing and dry them as well. They're just as important as your boxers. Your car cost how much? Your boxers cost how much?

Wheels are another project altogether.

Immediately rinse.
Because you're in Kentucky and the air is dry you might need to commence drying immediately since some water contains sediments hard to remove if the water dries on your car's surface. Down here its so humid sometimes we can't get the surface to dry not matter how many times we go over it.
Holding it at one end with one hand on either side, drag a full size towel over the surface from one end of the car to the other, or side to side, removing the bulk of the water. While your at it dry the glass completely.
Using very little pressure, finish drying the whole car with microfiber towels in circular motions, one in each hand. They wring out easily too. If you run across a grimy spot you missed low near the running board, toss that towel in the wash. Its now a piece of sandpaper.
Or
After dragging the big towel, with a damp mitt and little bit of Mother's California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax applied to the car, dry the surface. The surface will have the right amount of water to spread the Wax. Dry to a haze. Microfibre the dried wax off and you've now washed, dried, and waxed your car.

This wax comes off easier than any I've used, the last being Maguire's Deep Crystal Liquid.

Double-coat wax the frontal surfaces not forgetting the exterior mirrors making bugs easier to remove. Any time get bird shit ends up on your car, get it off asap.

New cars look new because nit wits don't know how to wash cars. Every time a car gets washed the finished gets a fine sandblasting. Remember, car washing is a money making business, not a business to preserve the finish on your car.

2po45td.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want any swirls, lines, dulling, fading, or anything.</div></div>

Wash your car when the outside temp is below 75 degrees with dark paint.

This is what my body guy told me after he painted my canopy - and he's right.

I went out at 75 degrees the other day and you can see a difference, wash in the morning at 58 - no prob - clean looking.

I wash with turtle wash, but I went back to using Nu-Finish and RainX - man that puts a nice durable shine on.

I've seen several people on car forums give rave reviews to the dry wash products. I've never had the nerve to try it.

zaino is the deal if you have the time. I use the Meguiar's mirror glaze products

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want any swirls, lines, dulling, fading, or anything.</div></div>

Wash your car when the outside temp is below 75 degrees with dark paint.

This is what my body guy told me after he painted my canopy - and he's right.

I went out at 75 degrees the other day and you can see a difference, wash in the morning at 58 - no prob - clean looking.

I wash with turtle wash, but I went back to using Nu-Finish and RainX - man that puts a nice durable shine on.

</div></div>

tell that to a guy that lives in texas.

Casey, thanks for all the information. I only have one problem with what you said - if you think our air is dry here I would apparently hate to live in Louisiana. I've experienced less humidity trying to breathe through a hot wet towel
smirk.gif
. I do thank you for all the tips, I learned a few things from your post. That's a beautiful finish on your Porsche - that's the kind of person I'll listen to when cleaning up my car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shulette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I use the Meguiar's mirror glaze products </div></div>
+1 on that.

Pi$$ away your money on Zymol if you wish - but it's no better than anything else out there, just more expensive.

My wife and I used to run a mobile auto detailing business, doing work for several of the high-end dealerships in the Raleigh area, and the Meguiar's products always served us well.

I liked the dropping it off at the place down the road and picking it up later for $40 every month. Wash, Wax, Vacuum, Polish, Detail, and it smelled like cherries. Barring that, I got a pressure washer and use teh big cheap bottle of cherry stuff from Autozone and a soft brush. It works. It's a truck, hers, she wants more than that she can come out and help. My bikes see even less soap and water...maybe once every two months or so...I ride, I don't polish crap, and I hate anything chrome

check out the adams car care line. I have had really good results for their americana wax. Dont know your price range but if your vehicle is black dodo juice supernatural is the best on earth but its 200 bucks. Zaino is good stuff too but the application process is quite lengthy and labor intensive.

1 pair of nice c-cups, dawn, a little water, nothing else. after ten minutes, you won't care about the condition of the paint..

You must be a Saint: To them to whom it matters only what's on the inside rather than outward appearances.

Or fat, lazy and all your stuff looks like crap. j/k
smile.gif

Wash & Debug, use dual bucket with grit guards using deionized water, (CR Spotless).
Clay, I use Zymol.
Polish with orbital buffer with Menzerna Super Intensive polish and a LC orange buffing pad.
Polish again with Menzerna Power Finish polish and a LC white buffing pad.
Hand polish with Zymol HD Cleanse.
Hand apply Zymol Concours wax, melt the wax in your hands at apply just a very light coat.

IMG_0926-1.jpg

I have been in the detail buisness for a while, not to the public but worked with dealers only. I have found the best to be made by a company called ARDEX. It is not availble in stores as I have a special truck bring me mine. Everything they make is great (and not cheap) I get all the black and dark paint due to people swirling them up. It gets the job done. And by the way, I consider there to be two types of swirls, one being the kind Casey talked about, dirt in a rag making a TRUE swirl as the hand would make, the other is the kind I have to work with, newbies with buffers that make a 3-d type optical illusion that when the sun hits it they appear to be about a foot off of the finish. These drive me crazy. Look at a black vehicle that has been buffed most likly will have this problem. Usually this will not happen unless you have buffed it, not orbital buffer but circular. If a compound has been used then you will need to buff at least one or two more times using a more gentle wax or polish and maybe finish up with a foam pad instead of a wool. Then hand wax with a very gentle wax will usuall cover this up. Good luck

I used Casey's method - spent more on microfiber cloths and towels than anything else. We used just water and several fresh microfiber cloths, and it worked perfectly. I picked up a can of Mother's California Gold Carnuba Cleaner Wax and applied after dragging a microfiber towel over the wet car. As far as I'm concerned, for a Saturday morning car wash it doesn't get any better than that. Thanks again for all your suggestions, and in particular Casey for that method of washing/drying/waxing.

Finished product (taken w/camera phone):
WashedandWaxed.jpg