• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best carbine stock for precision work?

B4forever

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Central Oregon
Excluding fixed stocks like the luth-ar and Magpul PRS, what do you guys like for precision work on your AR’s? This is going on a recce style rifle with a razor 1-6.

I have the Magpul CTR on pretty much everything, including — after trying several others like the Luth-AR — on my precision chassis.

Pretty good stock, locks up real well (secondary friction lock), popular enough it has accessories, cheek riser and buttplate extensions especially.

Also enough holes and grooves you can add your own stuff! I made the bottom flat for bag recoil with something I made and screwed through the existing mounting holes.

It's so rigid, other stocks now annoy me.

ETA: finally got flickr to work
49105871921_c863f81381_b.jpg

48734171342_6db9c5a3a4_b.jpg

As far as the ACS, and other friction-locking Magpuls: same recommendation. I prefer the narrower CTR profile (I prefer even narrower, favorite is SIG followed by Galil) but if you like larger cheek areas, or it works best with your scope height, buy one of those instead, absolutely.

Last edited:
Magpul ACS,,,as well as Vltor EMOD
If you have a beard,, like I did.
I put some electrical tape,along the stock. Between the battery compartment and cheek pad on the Vltor.
Not needed on ACS.
With these you can use the A5 extension.
UBR has a popietry extension,,can't use the A5 extesion.
FN 16" mid 1/7 Barrel,,DD lite quadrail,,magpul ACS,on a Vltor A5 extension
Smooth shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200302_195834648.jpg
    IMG_20200302_195834648.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Reactions: Old_Longhair
Magpul STR, has just a little more cheek and face weld area over some of the other Magpuls. I also recently picked up a Seekins Pro Comp 10x for my precision AR. It is really nice and much lighter than the PRS.

I have the Magpul CTR on pretty much everything, including — after trying several others like the Luth-AR — on my precision chassis.

Pretty good stock, locks up real well (secondary friction lock), popular enough it has accessories, cheek riser and buttplate extensions especially.

Also enough holes and grooves you can add your own stuff! I made the bottom flat for bag recoil with something I made and screwed through the existing mounting holes.

It's so rigid, other stocks now annoy me.

You oughta try the SOPMOD. THAT one is a true solid no move motherfucker. The B5 is really just as good but a true LMT buffer tube and an LMT SOPMOD are impossible to beat (sometimes they fit tight enough to stick and if you put a layer of Brownell's epoxy paint on a regular milspec tube it'll for sure fit tight). It's all KAC uses, even on the 20" SR25 (military M110 gets the Magpul version of the same thing basically). I use these SOPMODs on several rifles and I like a good cheek weld and a no movement, so...

The UBR with the VLTOR buffer and tube is really nice, closest to a fixed stock as you can get but it's also heavier. And more expensive if you use the VLTOR shit (but boy did it make a difference on a Grendel).

CTR is what I use on everything else, M4's, SBR's.

There's this other fully adj. collapsible type stock that I saw in a catalog but I can't recall who makes it. Brownell's carries it though, just look through their AR stock parts and if you'll notice it, it's the only one like it with an adj. buttplate, cheek, LOP, everything.

Then I think LMT (?) makes a "new" DMR stock, it's collapsible and it looks nice but it's expensive as fuck and I don't have one.

FWIW, when I was an SDM instructor we tried out different stuff and had the advantage of having 30 or so shooters on the line which made changes more apparent. A solid stock that doesn't move closed groups around 1MOA if I had to guess, so it's worth it to get a solid stock if you want any accuracy --solid being fixed or something like a SOPMOD or UBR or whatever.

Reactions: shoobe01
I’ve had good luck with Vltor extensions and stocks. I like the clubfoot versions because they provide a nice ledge to use a rear bag.

You oughta try the SOPMOD. . It's all KAC uses,

Once was true, not anymore..................both my MOD 1's do but I have a MOD 2 w/M-lok rail, & it has a CTR stock & now they are also using some other Magpul MOE-LS-S's as well.

MM

No different than bolt rifle stocks - the key to accuracy is repeatability and consistency.
Does the stock lock up tight?
Is the length of pull set right?
Do you index at the exact same place every time?

I like the Magpul PRS stock, the Magpul MOE Fixed stock and the ARFX Skeleton Fixed stock.

I just swapped a seekins 10x stock onto one of my rifles and really like it so far, still need a bit more rise on the cheek piece but going to add a foam pad that should take care of that.

I’m about to try a reproduction M16 Type D stock. Three concerns, it has a slick butt, it might be too light and I’m not sure I can out a flush cup into it.

I like the STR I have on my SPR. Solid lock up and cheek weld.

I did, very briefly. Did not like.

One reason I ended up with the folder on the bolt gun is I can clear the stock for cleaning etc. without that. On the .300 AR I just mussed with ring heights until I was happy to run without it.

(I am aware that this will not work for everyone, and a large objective on an AR-15/10 will cause issues.)

I have one of these on my SPR build.
comfy and solid yet still adjustable
I've got the ACS-L on a .300BLK carbine, and it's my favorite Magpul adjustable.

I like the STR I have on my SPR. Solid lock up and cheek weld.
I've got an STR on my DMR at the moment, but it will likely get put on something else in the near future unless I modify it some.

Anyone running a CTR with a Larue RISR?

I am running 2 of them. They are an interesting idea but if I could do it again I would just buy the Magpul cheek riser. I really have no need to be able to operate the charging handle with the stock retracted. I shoot with the stocks fully extended, except for my coyote hunting rifle and have realized I really don’t need retractable stocks and am starting to use fixed rifle length stocks more.

I don't know if any has mention XLR Industries Rifle Buttstocks, but there pretty slick. A buddy has one on a gap10 rifle and he enjoys the heck out of it, I like it but I prefer my magpul prs stock because I like the heft.

Pretty solid looking carbine. I have almost as much, use it all routinely. Very sad the other month when I had to get issued a crappy slick gun for an EX. Want my laser!

You don't get too much splash from it that far back?

Pretty solid looking carbine. I have almost as much, use it all routinely. Very sad the other month when I had to get issued a crappy slick gun for an EX. Want my laser!

You don't get too much splash from it that far back?

No, i only use the laser. I use the Surefire Vampire if i want an illustrator. That way i get much better balance. I do the same set up for all of my guns.

I have one of these on my SPR build.
comfy and solid yet still adjustable

I run a Vltor EMOD with an A5 buffer assembly on my 18" SPR and love it but I have a Magpul ACS-L on a 14.5" carbine that's a close 2nd for me.