• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best carry .45

mwedmonds

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
United States
Hey guys, my first post here, and I just wanted to see opinions on the best carry .45. I'm liking the 1911 style and trigger the most, so I wanted to hear opinions. So far i've been addicted to Kimber's, but someone has been telling me about STI. I don't know much about them other than their website. So I just wanted to hear opinions. I'm debating between full size 5" and 4" commander.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Best carry .45

i have a kimber pro covert that i carry regularly and also a USP compact in 40. but i have a feeling that this is going to start a war. i to am partial to Kimbers. havent had any experience with STI

After trying numerous other options, I also ended up opting for a Glock 30.

I would not recommend anything 5" for carry. Check out the Sig P250 compact, it is DA only which makes for a great carry option. Also check out Kimber's website, too many choices to list here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recommend anything 5" for carry. Check out the Sig P250 compact, it is DA only which makes for a great carry option. Also check out Kimber's website, too many choices to list here. </div></div>

Whats wrong with a 5 inch gun for carrying?

I can conceal a fullsize easily, the grip is the difficult part to hide not the slide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recommend anything 5" for carry. Check out the Sig P250 compact, it is DA only which makes for a great carry option. Also check out Kimber's website, too many choices to list here. </div></div>

I can conceal a fullsize easily, the grip is the difficult part to hide not the slide. </div></div>

+1 on that.

I will add that a commander is 4 1/4, not 4". And I wouldn't buy a gun smaller than a commander unless I was sure that it was going to run.

To limit this to discussing 1911's only, I would try a Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail or Ed Brown Kobra Carry bobtail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 30, and I hate Mimbers, STI are nice also.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After trying numerous other options, I also ended up opting for a Glock 30.</div></div> For you guys with the G30 what holster do you use for conceled carry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recommend anything 5" for carry. Check out the Sig P250 compact, it is DA only which makes for a great carry option. Also check out Kimber's website, too many choices to list here. </div></div>

I can conceal a fullsize easily, the grip is the difficult part to hide not the slide. </div></div>

I guess I should have asked what time of year, under a coat, or t-shirt. If you are in NY in January and wearing a heavy coat I guess you could carry a Desert Eagle if you chose to do so, but in July when I have a light t-shirt on I don't want a 5" slide sitting against my side or the small of my back.

I would say if you are dead set on a 45 acp, the HK USP compact 45 is a great gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I should have asked what time of year, under a coat, or t-shirt. If you are in NY in January and wearing a heavy coat I guess you could carry a Desert Eagle if you chose to do so, but in July when I have a light t-shirt on I don't want a 5" slide sitting against my side or the small of my back.</div></div>

I'm not following, but living in Florida, most often my carry dress is a light shirt. My full size is more comfortable than my OM because of where the muzzle stops. I carry a full size 95 percent of the time.

I carry a G20 to and from the range all the time and it just feels mammoth to me, can't seem to find a sweet spot for it, on the other hand carrying the P250 is a dream, it seems to fit anywhere. Just never had any luck with anything bigger than 4".

Out of curiosity, why do you guys carry a full size?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> or the small of my back. </div></div>

Probably not a good idea to carry there lest you fall on your back and get paralyzed, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, why do you guys carry a full size?</div></div>

Longer sight radius, less recoil, higher capacity (than OM), makes a better club when empty...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, why do you guys carry a full size?</div></div>

Longer sight radius, less recoil, higher capacity (than OM), makes a better club when empty...

</div></div>

Longer sight radius(practice more), less recoil(grip it tighter), higher capacity(aim for the head, less rds spent), makes a better club when empty(throw the compact, it will hurt more)

Just messing with you, I figured as much. I was always a fan of full size handguns but found the more I shot with a compact under simulated stress conditions, the better I became with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson Combat Elite Professional. Full size lower with a 3/4 size upper by far the best shooting 1911 there is. However; it aint cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_elitepro.asp </div></div>

Damn you, I was just starting to put a Wilson on the backburner and you had to go and post a fucking link. They do make my heart race, I really wanted one in 460 Rowland but the price is insane and ammo really limited.

glock 27
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glock 27
wink.gif
</div></div>

Do your .45 rds have any trouble chambering in that Glock 27
grin.gif

Currently I have a Glock 23, but after shooting a friend's Kimber Pro Eclipse, i was addicted to the feel. I have a hard time with my Glock's grip. I have long skinny fingers, and I find it hard sometimes to get a nice feel with the Glock. Almost like I need something bigger. I know that sounds strange, but anyone else with "spider fingers" that knows what I mean? I love the Kimber Pro Covert, I don't know much about the Wilson Combats and such, they seem REALLy expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For you guys with the G30 what holster do you use for conceled carry? </div></div>

I use a Comp-Tac Paddle holdter with the forward tilt. Very nice, I have one for my G 30, Kimber Ultra CDP and my S&W 325, all in .45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Edmonds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently I have a Glock 23, but after shooting a friend's Kimber Pro Eclipse, i was addicted to the feel. I have a hard time with my Glock's grip. I have long skinny fingers, and I find it hard sometimes to get a nice feel with the Glock. Almost like I need something bigger. I know that sounds strange, but anyone else with "spider fingers" that knows what I mean? I love the Kimber Pro Covert, I don't know much about the Wilson Combats and such, they seem REALLy expensive. </div></div>

Try the CDP Pro or Tac Custom II on the Pro. My Ultra CDP runs like a sewing machine with the patented fast eddie Kimber prep job. I just traded for a used Tac Custom II Pro and like the results so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glock 27
wink.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

Jesus, I hope so

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock 30, and I hate Mimbers, STI are nice also.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After trying numerous other options, I also ended up opting for a Glock 30.</div></div> For you guys with the G30 what holster do you use for conceled carry? </div></div>

Kramer IWB #3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAMURAIWARRIOR23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carried a Glock 30 for years,but once I held a new G36,it pushed the 30 back into the safe. </div></div>

This.

I carry everywhere I go, don't leave home without it
grin.gif
. I have carried a Glock 21 down to a Kahr PM9 and many things in between. I now carry my Glock 36 98% of the time. For me, it's the perfect size. Small enough to conceal easily, yet large enough that I still shoot it well, and it runs with no issues. Sometimes I wish it held more than 6+1, but not enough to switch.

My first pistol was a steel-frame .45 Colt's Combat Commander , in 1980 . The first time I shot it , I put the first round through the head of a silhouette at 25 yards . I still carry it . I sent it to Novaks in the late 80s . The mods I had done to it became a standard for the FBI SRT pistol (no connection-just common sense improvements). I wanted to buy twin SA Professionals to carry in a shoulder-holster (wintertime , they balance and instead of a reload - grab the other [border-shift] ). I opted for a SA TRP . I use that for winter carry , in an Alessi ( may he RIP ) shoulder-rig ( I started with a Jackass shoulder-rig )... I have H&K .45s - lighter , more capacity , but the double-stack mag is thicker and prints ... The 5" .45 muzzle can print in a horizontal shoulder-rig under a lightweight jacket ... A longer barrel is easier to hide in IWB than a long grip-frame or double-stack . Squat , don't bend ... A steel-frame bludgeons better than a lightweight-frame (E=MC2)... If I were to have Novak do another .45 , it might be an alloy-frame version of the FBI SRT ( SA Professional ). Being older , I have hips like a snake ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAMURAIWARRIOR23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carried a Glock 30 for years,but once I held a new G36,it pushed the 30 back into the safe. </div></div>

This.

I carry everywhere I go, don't leave home without it
grin.gif
. I have carried a Glock 21 down to a Kahr PM9 and many things in between. I now carry my Glock 36 98% of the time. For me, it's the perfect size. Small enough to conceal easily, yet large enough that I still shoot it well, and it runs with no issues. Sometimes I wish it held more than 6+1, but not enough to switch. </div></div>
Oh Yeah if the Glock could get 2 more rounds some how in the 36 platform it would be perfect.Without of course increasing size.
Better yet I would love to see a single stack 10mm on the 36 platform!!

D-Block: If you gave us a the highest price you would like to spend on a carry 45ACP then we could help you narrow the field. If you can afford to go custom, then I would recommend that you go that route. If you can't and you want to spend X amount of dollars then we could help to refine the choices. I personally would shoot for a nice used Wilson Combat but there are some nice choices out there. I prefer full length barrel 1911.
Outsydlooknin75 :[/quote]
I can conceal a fullsize easily, the grip is the difficult part to hide not the slide.[/quote]
I agree with this fully. I have found that the slide length is not a problem, it's the butt of the grip that kinda is hard to conceal....SmokeRolls

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glock 27
wink.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I should have asked what time of year, under a coat, or t-shirt. If you are in NY in January and wearing a heavy coat I guess you could carry a Desert Eagle if you chose to do so, but in July when I have a light t-shirt on I don't want a 5" slide sitting against my side or the small of my back.</div></div>

I'm not following, but living in Florida, most often my carry dress is a light shirt. My full size is more comfortable than my OM because of where the muzzle stops. I carry a full size 95 percent of the time. </div></div>

Same here, a 5" 1911 is more comfortable for me to carry all day, all weather(week before last sucked in the 110's) than a 4.25". Brommeland MaxCon V for leather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with this fully. I have found that the slide length is not a problem, it's the butt of the grip that kinda is hard to conceal....SmokeRolls</div></div>

Body type makes a different, as well. I guess I'm blessed (?), as I can easily conceal my Wilson full-size (w/magwell) under a shirt.

I carry a Kimber Eclipse it's stainless so a little lighter than steel. I carry it inside the pants right side of spine almost above my wallet. I have over 4,000 rds through it and its still the sweetest shooting .45 I have owned. My first carry was a Browning BDA .380 double stack not a bad gun but knock down wasn't there, next was a Colt Govt. next was a Colt combat commander, next was a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog. As with all autos I own the first thing I do is slightly flatten the feed ramp and polish it like a mirror. My Kimber will feed anything FMJ, hollow points, wad cutters and even spent shells. In all the rounds I've put through it not one failed to chamber or eject. My first chambered round is always rat shot, if that's all you need then you don't have to kill the bastard if not then you've slowed him down for the second and hopefully final shot.
The Kimber wasn't cheap ($1,100.00) but I sure like it.

This is all really good input. I appreciate the info. about the size of the barrel not really impacting printing, but the grip that is the hardest thing to conceal. As far as a price point. I've got some options. I'd be willing to sell my Glock 23 to make up for some of the price, but I'm def. not looking at spending 2Gs. I didn't see a Wilson under 2Gs.

I have had my ccw for a short time now. If you are looking for .45 and want a shorter barrel, look at Sigp220r carry, 3.9 barrel, 8+1. I carry it EVERYWHERE in a comp tac infidel at 3oclock and it is plum comfortable. I wanted a kimber, but the only thing that turned my to the 220 was that it is da/sa and that if i were to have to pull it on someone i was scared that with adrenaline and nerves the 1911 trigger would be to light and to touchy. The 220 has just a little bit more play and I didnt want an accidental discharge if it were pointing as someone. Just my 2 cents
Ubet

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=149

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm 6'4" and 220# so I can hide a lot more than most. LOL

bshaw

if you are considering a 4". give wilson combat a look. the elite professional i will highly recommend. pm me if you want more info, i will suggest a contact there.

+1 HK 45 USPC, G30 is a good choice as well (try the 30sf too, you may love/hate one or the other... plus you can use a full 21 mag as your spare.),

Dan Wesson bobtailed commander -

welcome to the Hide as well.

I don't carry as universally as many on this site but I carry a 3" poly Kimber in either a IWB or a T-shirt when I do carry the .45. When its harder to carry due to dress/situation, the .380 KelTec popgun is in my pocket holster.

I like the Springfield armory lightweight champion operator.

If Springfield would Dump the 7 round and put a Wilson 8 mag, then add bobtail, add forstrap checkering and remove wood grip in favor of g10 grips It would be a 90 to 92 of what I wanted in a carry.

Mine has eaten every type of round I can think of or have feed it with Zero hiccups. I have about 5000 to 5200 rounds down range on mine.

Hey and here is a testimate to it's reliability even my brother-in-law can shoot it and he is historically a limp wristed shooter that get operator error jams with almost everything he shoots.

bshaw said:
I carry a Kimber Eclipse it's stainless so a little lighter than steel. End Quote]
Actually, stainless is a little heavier than steel due to the density/metal composition. I can't remember if the eclipse has the alloy frame like the Kimber tacticle. Kimber kinda confuses people by calling some of their weapons alloy frames and also calling some of them stainless steel. They are both alloy weapons, one is of the heavier stainless steel alloy and one is made out of the alluminum alloy. I have the Kimber Tactical that has the (alluminum) alloy frame. And it is the most lightweight 1911 I have ever used.. Just thought I would drop a tidbit.........SmokeRolls

SmokeRolls

The Eclipse is all stainless and weighs a noticeable amount less than the Colt Combat Commander in steel with nickel finish that I had. I sold it to my neighbor, I'll try to get it this weekend, weigh both guns and report back.

bshaw