• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best case lube?

rugerdiggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Southeast Oklahoma
I currently am using the hornady one shot case lube but seemed like i had to spray a second coating on the last 25 rounds of once fired 6.5X284 lapua brass, only using a 50rd block. Just wanted to see what everyone else is using.

Re: Best case lube?

The trick with One Shot is not to use the block, get a large zip lock bag and spray for 10 seconds, seal the bag and roll the brass around, this ensures complete coverage.

I use one shot and set cases upright in a row.Spray one side lightly until carrier solvent and lube start to bead and run down the case. Then spray other side the same way.

The problem with using a tray is that no lube gets applied to expanded portion of body above case head where sizing is hardest.

I believe 427cobras method is more efficient in regard to lube conservation as you reuse same bag over and over.

That said. I do also use imperial wax on my magnum cases. The one-shot is used more for 223 and higher volume items like 22-250

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trick with One Shot is not to use the block, get a large zip lock bag and spray for 10 seconds, seal the bag and roll the brass around, this ensures complete coverage. </div></div>
I do this, but I bought some lanonlin, 99% isopropanol, and a quart sized spray bottle. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and works just as good.

ISDW...for everything.

This product was actually developed by Clark W. Griswold and you can see it being tested here:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rMcRJVY1-0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rMcRJVY1-0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLK7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one shot and set cases upright in a row.Spray one side lightly until carrier solvent and lube start to bead and run down the case. Then spray other side the same way.

The problem with using a tray is that no lube gets applied to expanded portion of body above case head where sizing is hardest. </div></div>

Turn your cases upside down in the tray, then spray, the neck and shoulder don't need lube.

Imperial is good, but messy. use it on improved blown out cases. The rest, spray is ok, with Imperial, you start out applying it with one hand, soon it is on the other, then all over everything.
If you can deal with the mess, it will save you money!

Many goods one on the market...Hornady, Dillon, etc. I use the Dillon. Several casings in a box, spray, wait a few, shake box, spray a little again, wait 5 min, then rock on. Only use blocks for charged cases.

The only cases I spray are those going into the casefeeder of my 650. Isopropyl Alcohol and Lanolin, either "home brew" or Dillon/Frankford Arsenal.

For the "one at a time" loads like .308 accuracy loads or 30-06 for my bolt action, Hornady Unique is a good lube. You can also use it to waterproof your shoes
cool.gif
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogmessiah</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trick with One Shot is not to use the block, get a large zip lock bag and spray for 10 seconds, seal the bag and roll the brass around, this ensures complete coverage. </div></div>
I do this, but I bought some lanonlin, 99% isopropanol, and a quart sized spray bottle. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and works just as good. </div></div>

What is the mixing ratio, what is the method of use "do you let it dry before using or go to using after applying" where did you buy the 99% isopropanol most at wally world is less than that now.

I've always used the RCBS lube. I like it because it is water soluble. I use the Lyman pad and just roll 10-12 cases at a time and size away. I only shoulder-bump my cases so I don't do anything to lube the neck. I neck size later with the Lee Collet neck sizer which requires no lube.

I tried a lot of case lubes over the years and came to the conclusion of using Imperial for small jobs (10-20 cases) or Dillon for larger amounts of cases.

That's what works for me. No need to use anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trick with One Shot is not to use the block, get a large zip lock bag and spray for 10 seconds, seal the bag and roll the brass around, this ensures complete coverage. </div></div>

Good idea. A lot of it gets airborne and is lost. I normally only use it for pistol brass. I just keep spraying the top layer of the bucket I'm pulling out of and then if I get a slowdown while I'm working I'll spray a bunch in the hopper.

I tried it for rifle and it just wasn't as good as the Dillon lube I normally use, so I've stuck with the Dillon for rifle. I've tried the RCBS but it makes a total mess, it's kind of sticky and thick.

I don't use the Imperial stuff for anything because I don't do any case lubing by hand and no small batches of reloading.

Dillon case lube is all I use. Spray some in a ziplock bag with the cases. Seal it and shake it. Works all the time.

I like the Frankford Arsenal spray lube because it's cheap and the bottle is huge - it lasts me all year.

But "best": Imperial.

I would suggest with Imperial Sizing Wax by Redding.

Exactly. I lube about 300 cases in 10 minutes. Simple. Never had a stuck case in tens of thousands of cases. Make sure to give the sprayed cases a minute or two to let the propellent evaporate.

Equal parts liquid lanolin from a Health Food shop and castor oil from the drugstore, mixed and added to anhydrous (99%) isopropyl alcohol in the ratio of 2 parts mix to 8 parts alcohol. Shake like hell. The liquid lanolin mixes much more easily than the sticky stuff. Spray into the bag with the cases and shake and roll them around. 3 or 4 pumps the first time, then as stated, the bag gets a coating and only needs 2 or 3 squirts after that. Does easily 100 cases at a time. Dump and let air dry for a minute or two, then size away. No petroleum products to affect the primer.

not the "best" but my choice for cheap and fast is Lee wax lube cut/mixed with water, I do 600-700 .223 at a time rolled around in a big lid jug - then dump and spread around to dry

I think that 2.50 $ tube is doing over 10,000 .223

for bulk reloads with range pick up brass, I do not even clean before sizing, just tumble the finished rounds

I hate the smell of the spray lubes

Imperial wax.

I ran 50 .260 cases and 50 6.5x47L cases through Forster FL sizing dies this evening.
I timed myself on the last 10 6.5x47L cases, and they took 63 seconds from the loading block to the tumbler.

Usually the lanolin alcohol mix but on really hard sizing, I use Pam cooking spray (butter flavored).

I've stuck more cases with Hornady 1-shot than by any other means. Maybe just my luck but never going to use that stuff again.

Federal Mogul engine assembly lube for the tough ones then back in the tumbler to remove the lube.

I have a couple of "favorites" but what I like sure doen't make them the best. Actually, I don't believe anything out there is best; seems they all work fine if used correctly, nothing works well if it's used incorrectly. What it really comes down to is how many cases you wish to lube at once and the application method you prefer.

Lubing large numbers (hundreds) means the sprays save a bit of time but at a price. Smaller quanities work well on lube pads with oily lubes but they're messy. Modest quanities work well with finger-tip applied waxes and, with just a bit of practice, it's as fast to apply as using a lube pad but much cleaner.

I read of more people getting stuck cases with One-Shot than any other lube but it also seems a lot of them are not following the printed directions for use.

I've only ever had one case stuck and it was lubed with Hornady one shot. Now I toss a hundred or so cases into a one gallon ziploc then spray about 10 pumps of the Dillon lube in the pump-spray bottle DCL its called. Haven't had a stuck case since. I also like the RCBS case lube but hate messing with the pad

A couple of secrets with the spray lube are, to cover evenly and leave long enough for the alcohol to evaporate. If a case feels like it might stick, it will. Pull it out, put a little Imperial on it and size away. If you force a case, you WILL be sorry. .308 seems like the most likely to stick of everything I load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Smaller quanities work well on lube pads with oily lubes but they're messy. Modest quanities work well with finger-tip applied waxes and, with just a bit of practice, it's as fast to apply as using a lube pad but much cleaner.

</div></div>

I've always found lube pads to be just like "fly paper". They seem to catch every wayward piece of polish media, powder granules that escaped, and whatever else is flying through the air, sometimes even a fly or two
cool.gif

Using Imperial or Unique paste is far cleaner. All you need to do when done is wash your hands.

imperial wax, just a little on your fingers as you pick up your case and put it in the shell holder, it takes very little. During summer keep it in the house.

I use the RCBS Water Soluble, employed the same way as others use Imperial. I like it especially because it wipes off with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol, leaving a pristine case. I never have to wonder if any is getting inside the chamber.

I also always clean my resizing die's interior after reloading.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Golfy Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest with Imperial Sizing Wax by Redding. </div></div> +1

I use RCBS case lube. I squeeze one bead along one case per 50. Put the cases in an appropriate-size bottle and put the bottle in a tumbler and let it tumble for about 1/2 an hour and get a uniform film on all the cases.

4 oz liquid lanolin off ebay.2 liters of isopropyl alchohol from a paint shop "the high concentrate 99%"

combine in a 1 to 16 mix heat with hot water "not over open flame" and never buy case lube again.

apply with spray bottle.its old school and it works

A.K.A Dillon Case lube. I use it and love it, I tell everyone about it.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 oz liquid lanolin off ebay.2 liters of isopropyl alchohol from a paint shop "the high concentrate 99%"

combine in a 1 to 16 mix heat with hot water "not over open flame" and never buy case lube again.

apply with spray bottle.its old school and it works </div></div>

i already had the alchohol, so 4 oz of lanolin and i got 2 liters of case lube it was an easy decision for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 oz liquid lanolin off ebay.2 liters of isopropyl alchohol from a paint shop "the high concentrate 99%"

apply with spray bottle.its old school and it works </div></div>

Wow! I'm glad the OP asked the question. I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

Has any one found a good way to remove the Lanolin lube Dillon makes other than tumbling or using soapy water or bottles of alcohol . I have tried wiping it off and it wont come off like other stuff does .I usually wash them in hot soapy water .Arnie

I agree that Imperial works the best for heavy duty sizing, but I like the convenience of a spray lube like red rooster. NOW....Imperial needs to come up with a spray-on lube, and I would use it and never look back!

If you want to use imperial for bulk sizing put a few hundred cases in a shoebox, put a dime sized smear on each hand, rub your hands together then rub you hands throughout the box of brass then start sizing. Between what remains on your hands and what you got on the cases, you will have no problem sizing a few hundred cases as fast as you can pull the handle.

Hello,

Kiwi Mink Oil. Used just like Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Works great and a little goes a long way.

If you ever need more you can get it most anywhere.

Sim

Imperial Sizing Die Wax has always worked flawlessly for me. A can will last nearly forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried a lot of case lubes over the years and came to the conclusion of using Imperial for small jobs (10-20 cases) or Dillon for larger amounts of cases.

That's what works for me. No need to use anything else. </div></div>

I have tried several lubes and came to this conclusion.

For the Dillon spray, I dump all the brass in a plastic tray I got from Wal Mart, spray the lube all over the brass, mix up the brass, cover the brass again in lube, and mix one more time. I give the lube a minute or two to make sure everything is good to go and then start resizing.

One shot and imperial sizing wax....

one shot used for the OD of the case and imperial wax used for the ID (only need to use it once through 20 casings).

smooth as butter.

I'm liking the idea of using the lanolin and alcohol. I will give that a try once I have a day off to get to the store to pick up some lanolin. I've been using the RCBS pad and not a fan of the "fly paper" thing that goes with using it. Any idea if paint thinner would harm brass? Was thinking of using that to clean the lube off the cases after sizing.

So far, all I reload for is .223 and .30-06 with my single stage RCBS. Thinking of upgrading to a Redding turret press to help speed things up a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm liking the idea of using the lanolin and alcohol. I will give that a try once I have a day off to get to the store to pick up some lanolin. I've been using the RCBS pad and not a fan of the "fly paper" thing that goes with using it. Any idea if paint thinner would harm brass? Was thinking of using that to clean the lube off the cases after sizing.

So far, all I reload for is .223 and .30-06 with my single stage RCBS. Thinking of upgrading to a Redding turret press to help speed things up a bit. </div></div>

There is a reason why the vast majority are recommending Imperial.