• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best chassis/stock mini 14 (582), improving accuracy

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
Have a buddy who has a Mini-14 582.
Looking for the best stock/chassis options, as well as any recommendations on modifications to increase accuracy. Thanks.

Mini 14 Accuracy Improvement Checklist:
1. Sell Mini
2. Buy the AR-15 of your/his choosing...
(trying to accurize a Mini is going to be a frustrating money-pit, and in the end you'll have a slightly more accurate Mini...)

Mini 14 Accuracy Improvement Checklist:
1. Sell Mini
2. Buy the AR-15 of your/his choosing...
(trying to accurize a Mini is going to be a frustrating money-pit, and in the end you'll have a slightly more accurate Mini...)
I agree but not my gun haha

Funny story about the Mini....

Place target down range.

Throw hula hoop to right at approximately 1400.

Shoot magazine at target.

Group of ejected brass in hula hoop will always be tighter than bullet impacts on paper.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Yeah, the Mini isn't ever going to get more accurate. I have an old Mini-14, not sure why I keep it, I have an AC556, but your not gonna try shooting groups with it either. The one thing the Mini has going for it though, they just work, almost kinda like an AK, that may be one of the things that keep them from being accurate as well, idk.

Sage international made a version of their EBR chassis for the mini-14. They are expensive, but supposedly help as much as the pin bedding job that Accuracy Systems does.

A trigger job can't hurt. And an accustrut may help some, but from what I remember they don't help the 582s as much as earlier guns.

But as everyone else has said, you can only improve a Mini so much.

A while back I picked up an older Ranch rifle that had the full accurizing treatment done by ARS in Texas (out of business now). It has a heavy Lothar-Walther barrel, had the gas system modified to clear the heavier barrel profile, a nice light trigger, and is glass bedded into a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. It'll shoot 1.5" groups at 100 off of sand bags, and while that's impressive for a mini, it's really nothing to brag about for a gun that's had that much work done to it.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Sage international made a version of their EBR chassis for the mini-14. They are expensive, but supposedly help as much as the pin bedding job that Accuracy Systems does.

A trigger job can't hurt. And an accustrut may help some, but from what I remember they don't help the 582s as much as earlier guns.

A while back I picked up an older Ranch rifle that had the full accurizing treatment done by ARS in Texas (out of business now). It has a heavy Lothar-Walther barrel, had the gas system modified to clear the heavier barrel profile, a nice light trigger, and is glass bedded into a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. It'll shoot 1.5" groups at 100 off of sand bags, and while that's impressive for a mini, it's really nothing to brag about for a gun that's had that much work done to it.
Best thing you can do to the Mini 14 is get a trigger job done to it. Factory trigger is crap. Not much more you can do with the newer 580 series rifles that makes much difference of what it is. This trigger job net me a 5-1/2 lb. then 3-1/2 lb. trigger pulls on its two stage trigger, trigger stop helped a bit too. It shoots 1-1/2 to 2 MOA at best for me and good enough to plink with.
Pic of trigger stop.
Mini 14 Trigger Stop.jpg

The mini is a wonderful platform for what it is.
When you start trying to accurize it, the personality changes. It’s no longer a light, nimble ranch gun.

Anyrate, get an EBR chassis, thread the barrel and get a muzzle device on it.

The mini is a wonderful platform for what it is.
When you start trying to accurize it, the personality changes. It’s no longer a light, nimble ranch gun.

Anyrate, get an EBR chassis, thread the barrel and get a muzzle device on it.
-
have had a few of them . They are a short platform that eats anything you shove in it . ( mine ) it will never be accurate just a solid 2MOA @ 100 yard with any ammo . It just made it a lot smoother soft with shooting .
I knocked-off a lot of the hideous over gassing , ( 2 ) front and back recoil buffer pads , little trigger work, then cut down to 16" barrel , threaded muzzle , re-pinned the front sight blade and put on a FH .

I bought a sage a few years back and it didn't fit correctly. I Emailed them and they insisted that it was 100% the correct stock for my rifle and said I could pay shipping both ways and pay for repairs (which made no sense being it was supposed to be the correct chassis for my serial number) and they would make it fit.

I found that to be unacceptable after paying <> $500 and just threw the stock in the safe and haven't touched it since. I would steer clear of sage, I think they are too focused on getting government contracts, and not enough on commercial sales.