• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best commonly found on shelves bourbon/ scotch/ whiskey.

bullseye13

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2013
    USA
    Started keto diet and have to cut out the mix. What is better of the three, and what is your favorite brand of commonly found booze for drinking straight?
    Thanks.

20181222_102453.jpg

Was at the liquor store and they recommended this. Hope its decent. Still looking for suggestions for the next bottle to see what I like best.

I like scotch, some of my favorites in the $50 to $80 range. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, or La Santa. Aberlour 16. Glendronach Original 12 year. These are all highland malts and are going to be on the sweet and floral side, not smoky or peaty

Reactions: bullseye13
    For scotch there's also The Balvenie (the aged ones are really good) and I was gonna say Glenmoraigne too, again aged. The Balvenie can go down like water, the 20 and 35 year stuff.

For whiskey I still like Jack. Just grew up around there, it was always popular. I mixed it mostly but there's also the single barrel. And now all the other high end bourbons I don't know anything about but some of these guys on here will.

I can't really drink anymore, it just makes me feel sick and messes with my nerves, don't really enjoy it. It's rare I can enjoy a beer. But when I did drink, those were the ones that came to mind in that category.

As far as getting fucked up, nothing has ever came close to holding a candle to a liter of Mexcal, a bag of limes and that spiced salt that comes with it. Oh man. Something about that stuff just transcends alcohol. More like a drug. And it's not an expensive bottle.

Makers Mark whisky-common-key point here, kinda pricey but not ridiculously so, good for sipping.

I have a cabinet full of more expensive (by far) bourbons, but I just have never found one I like BETTER than good old Maker's Mark (the standard, not Maker's 46 or Cask Strength). Some I like as much, all are good for a change, but if I can only pick one it's MM.

Last edited:
    For bourbon whiskey I have 2 favorites. Regular and the best bang for your money is Evan Williams' Single Barrel, very underrated and overlooked thanks to the Jack Daniels hype, hell J/D isn't even bourbon! My number one is Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit, to me the best of all I have tried in many years. Hope this helps and enjoy!

Buffalo Trace or Bulleit.

If you can find WL Weller, it is better than both the above IMO.

As for scotch...that shit is expensive compared to even good bourbon, so at minimum Balvenie 12 or GTFO.

Two ways to drink scotch and bourbon - neat and wrong.

Of the three, bourbon is my choice. Like said above, bulleit, Blanton's etc... Just have to figure out what you have a taste for. If you ever run up on a bottle of Elmer T. Lee, buy it all. Last time I saw it, it was $29.99 a bottle and it was out of this world. I liked it even more than anything in the PVW line. Yes, I know that's a sin of a statement.

The only single malt scotch I ever really enjoyed was The Balvenie Caribbean Cask and The Macallan 12 and 18 year.

For scotch there's also The Balvenie (the aged ones are really good) and I was gonna say Glenmoraigne too, again aged. The Balvenie can go down like water, the 20 and 35 year stuff.

For whiskey I still like Jack. Just grew up around there, it was always popular. I mixed it mostly but there's also the single barrel. And now all the other high end bourbons I don't know anything about but some of these guys on here will.

I can't really drink anymore, it just makes me feel sick and messes with my nerves, don't really enjoy it. It's rare I can enjoy a beer. But when I did drink, those were the ones that came to mind in that category.

As far as getting fucked up, nothing has ever came close to holding a candle to a liter of Mexcal, a bag of limes and that spiced salt that comes with it. Oh man. Something about that stuff just transcends alcohol. More like a drug. And it's not an expensive bottle.

I second Balvenie

Blantons, Bookers, Bakers, Angels Envy and Woodford are always on my shelf. They are all different and suit different moods and levels of euphoria or anger.

Not as common but are worth the search are Four Roses small batch, Barrell Bourbon Batch 009, Angels Envy cask strength, and Russell’s Reserve 1988.

As for the Woodford Double Oaked, use that for a Brown Derby, which is a fantastic way to end a summer day.

Tried a lot if bourbon over the last few years. Always come back to Woodford Reserve. 2 fingers on top of two ice cubes.

FWIW, WR double oak is good, as is Willet but I like the finish of straight WR best.

View attachment 6990399
    Was at the liquor store and they recommended this. Hope its decent. Still looking for suggestions for the next bottle to see what I like best.
    I think it’s crap. Nasty, bitey finish. Not my thing. My go to off the shelf is Jefferson’s Reserve.

Wild Turkey 101 ,cant touch this for the price point.
    Eagle Rare, Very good bourbon a little pricey.
    Buffalo Trace, same product as eagle rare but aged less.
    Elijah Craig, great bourbon especially if you can find the barrel proof.

Went to grab the new bottle of Makers Mark Cask Strength and it's not there . I hope the wife hid it or the 20 year old daughter will be experiencing size 11 exrtra wide boot in the ass. Was gonna snap a pic and post it . Surprised no mention of Jamison .

I've enjoyed:
    Aberlour a'bunadh
    Larceny
    Jack Daniels (I prefer standard Old No. 7, but the Single barrel barrel proof is good shit)
    Whistlepig 10 and 12 year
    Blantons has good stuff, too. Maybe hard to find on a shelf, though.
    Also, for something truly different, Balcones Brimstone is some shit from another world. Like drinking a campfire. It's great.

ETA: This is the dude that started Balcones. Some drama put him in the brandy business for a while, but it looks like he's gonna start cranking out good drink soon.

http://tatedistillery.com/

Last edited:
    Reactions: Barneybdb
    Blantons, Bookers, Bakers, Angels Envy and Woodford are always on my shelf. They are all different and suit different moods and levels of euphoria or anger.
    I like decent liquor so most of what the guys have mentioned will do fine.
    I do prefer MTT’s choices quoted above.
    Add Knob Creek Special Reserve, ditto Angel’s Envy.
    A hair lower in price, Larceny is pretty good.
    Scotch, anything with Glen in the name, most notably the older Glenfiddich. Dalwhinnie if you like a lighter scotch, Oban if you like em a little stronger.
    Nothing wrong with Cognac for sipping either, my preference there is Camus.
    If you want a less expensive route, Famous Grouse on the scotch; Dickel on the sour mash.

Wild Turkey 101 ,cant touch this for the price point.
    Eagle Rare, Very good bourbon a little pricey.
    Buffalo Trace, same product as eagle rare but aged less.
    Elijah Craig, great bourbon especially if you can find the barrel proof.
    I didn’t mention WT 101 as I figured I might be judged for slumming it, but yeah, what he said.

Went to grab the new bottle of Makers Mark Cask Strength and it's not there . I hope the wife hid it or the 20 year old daughter will be experiencing size 11 exrtra wide boot in the ass. Was gonna snap a pic and post it . Surprised no mention of Jamison .

Jamison 12 yo. But it’s no longer carried locally and has been replaced by the black and scratch cask varieties that the young’uns like.

Lagavulin 16. It's even Ron Swanson approved.
    I'll second the Lagavulin 16. An excellent scotch, but can be hard to find.

My recommendation is Laphroaig 10 y.o. with just a splash of water if you're going to sit and sip. Cask Strength is my favorite, but it hits a little harder.

If the peaty, Islay malts like Lagavulin and Laphroaig aren't your thing, The Macallan or Glenfiddich 12 y.o., or The Glenlivet 15 y.o. are solid picks.

Pendleton midnight is one of my favorites
    Pendleton is not a bourbon, It's canadian. Bourbon is American. ( I own a liquor store) There is a difference. Myself, i drink Crown Royal, have for 30 years, other than a couple years of drinking Pendleton, (which started out here around $28 for a 1.75 mil) n then once it got price wise within $5 of Crown, i switched back. Bourbon is for the most part , harsher than canadian whiskey, I've always said if i had to drink Jack Daniels, i would quit drinking. I don't mind Jim Beam if i drink a bourbon. I have tried many of the bourbons mentioned in the threads so far, not impressed, but to each his own. i'm just not a bourbon drinker. Tried scotch one time, taste like crap, i was told u have to acquire a taste for scotch. Figure anything u have to acquire a taste for isn't worth it. Hell i didn't have to even acquire a taste for pussy, liked it right off the bat. :)

My father in law was Scottish, and having dated his daughter since I was 19, I developed the taste. I still like some bourbons and Irish whiskey (similar to scotch) though.

I drink a lot of Oban 18, Balvenie 21 and Glenmorangie scotches..neat, no water or ice.

Jameson caskmates, if not available the regular bottle is fine.

For scotch's I would recommend Macallen 12yr or Dalmore 12yr both are great with just a touch of water added and are going to be on the sweeter side for single malts. For a cheap blended I tried a bottle of johnnie walker- white walker a couple weeks ago(thought the bottle looked neat) and mixed it with coke 0 (you can use diet as a mixer on keto or I did at least when I was on keto) and lets just say the bottle didn't see the sun rise the next morning between a friend and I haha. I have 3 more single malts bottle's sitting down on the shelf to try in the near future if they work out I'll let you know about them. Another friend of mine that likes bourbon, always recommends bullet bourbon. I'm not much on it but I like scotch more than bourbon.

Try Early Times, it has a lot of character for the dollar which is why it's my "stock" choice neat on or the rocks. That said I also have Oban, Glen Morangie, Macallan, Booker's, Knob Creek, Templeton Rye, and Blanton's in the cabinet. ;)

For scotch's I would recommend Macallen 12yr or Dalmore 12yr both are great with just a touch of water added and are going to be on the sweeter side for single malts. For a cheap blended I tried a bottle of johnnie walker- white walker a couple weeks ago(thought the bottle looked neat) and mixed it with coke 0 (you can use diet as a mixer on keto or I did at least when I was on keto) and lets just say the bottle didn't see the sun rise the next morning between a friend and I haha. I have 3 more single malts bottle's sitting down on the shelf to try in the near future if they work out I'll let you know about them. Another friend of mine that likes bourbon, always recommends bullet bourbon. I'm not much on it but I like scotch more than bourbon.
    For scotches gold or 18 Chivas. The simple pinch is also palatable.

Reactions: prepsheriff