• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Compact Binoculars?

USGILT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2007
KS, Leavenworth
I am currently looking for a compact set of quality binoculars for hunting and shooting. I have been considering the Leupold Wind River Cascade Binoculars 10X42. Does anyone have any experience with them? Can anyone recommend anything that would be superior in generally the same price range? Finally what type of performance i.e. what distances/field of view quality should I be able to view with this set of binoculars?

s7_711292_066_01.jpg

Thanks,

USGILT

Re: Best Compact Binoculars?

Your title asks for "Best Compact Binoculars?" You are asking about a 10x42. A 10x42 at best is a mid sized binocular. if you want something you can put into a jacket or side pocket of your pants and retain great quality I suggest you take a look at the Pentax 9x28 DCF LV. This binocular is a great carry along.

(Pentax Info:)
Available in 9x28 magnification, the PENTAX DCF LV binoculars feature a durable, lightweight, compact body. With high-resolution phase-coated and super-reflective coated roof prisms for high contrast images, the nitrogen-filled waterproof (JIS Class 6) construction allow these binoculars to be used in the most extreme weather conditions and submerged to 3.3 feet. The inner-focus optical design adds durability and the helicoid eyepiece rings offer comfortable eye relief. Fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission and color quality while rubber covered exterior provides a sure grip and protects the internal mechanisms. All PENTAX binoculars offer a Worry Free Warranty.
Available in 9x28 magnification
Extremely durable, lightweight, compact body makes these binoculars ideal for difficult conditions
High-resolution phase-coated and super-reflective coated roof prisms provide high resolution, high contrast images
Nitrogen-filled waterproof (JIS Class 6) construction allow these binoculars to be used in the most extreme weather conditions and be submerged to 1 meter
Inner-focus optical design adds to the durability
Helicoid eyepiece rings give the most comfortable eye relief
Fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission and color quality
Rubber covered exterior provides a sure grip and protects the internal mechanisms
PENTAX Worry Free Warranty

IMO, this is a great, not expensive, option for a compact binocular

I like my Zeiss 10x25's.They were $375 new years ago.

They don't give up much compared to my friends Swarovski 8x40's.

Steve

Haven't had any experienace with ZEISS optics. How does there glass compaired with Leupold? I know Leupold optics are made in USA but they get there glass from Japan.

For a nice price, I would take a look at Steiner binoculars. They make great glass, but make sure you get their superior line. I have used them and are better than any others I ´ve seen except the top ones (Leica, Swaro, Zeiss).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Zeiss 10x25's.They were $375 new years ago.

They don't give up much compared to my friends Swarovski 8x40's.

Steve </div></div>

Same ones I have. They put many larger objectives to shame.

I have a set of Nikon premier LX's from a few years back. They were $730 back then. They are 8x32's. They don't make this exact set anymore. Its a pity they were really something to right home about at that price point. Who knows on the used market you might be able to pick some up on a budget. They were better reviewed than the $2k Swarovski's and having viewed them side by side I can tell you that reviewer was not crazy they were at least equal.

I'm currently using a IOR 10x25.....I picked up awhile back. For the price and size they'r VERY hard to beat. Focus can be had close and clarity can be had for quite some distance.
I'm sure SCOTT at Liberty optics could get ya a good price on'm.
Can't think of the other Hide Member at this time but he uses'm as well.
Hide Member AUBIE and I were out on a Groundhog smackin expedition early summer and we could read a speed limit sign quite clearly at a good distance. (Sorry can't say exactly what it was) But if I recall my Leica 1200 wouldnt give a read on it.
I previously owned the above mentioned Zeiss bino's I sold them to SHOOTER65 you they were nice just a little bigger than what i wanted. I can tell ya I'm not all that sad I sold'm in ref. to quality of the glass. I didn't do a side by side but for the layman ...not to shabby
Only thing I'd say is if you want to use them for hunting you might want to get the next power down I think its 7 or 8.

I think you can still get the Zeiss 10x25B for $375. Worth a look through.

i have a set of the swarovski 10X25 compacts. Lots of glass in a small little package. Run about 450 or so new. I have looked through both and I give a very very slight advantage to the swaros. The zeiss 10x25b are a very good set. Dont count them out. Either one of these will outperform the wind river leupold any day of the week. Good luck

I agree with Doug on the Pentax for the price. I am a big fan of Pentax spotting scopes and binos. Even though I have professional Nikon lens for 35mm stuff. That all being said, I went for it all and got the Leica 8x32 BR from Doug. All I can say is wow! Nice compact (relatively) but awesome glass, clarity, resolution and robustness.

Having been a Swaovski man every since Steiner screwed me over I was talked into a set of Leica 10x25BCA Trinovid's after my compact Swarovski's got ripped off out of my truck. I can honestly say that I would not go back to the Swarovski compacts and I thought forever that the compact Swaro's were the top of the heap. The big three are Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica....still like my "mid-size" Swarovski's but I would not count the Leicas out.

The compacts have their place and work very well within that range of operation. The mid size shine when having to glass for long hours looking for game. The compacts work well for a quick look not requiring detailed evaluation such as trophy size at distance (if I am trying to decide if I want to drop down into a canyon and climb out the other side I want the 10x42 SLC Swaro's to make sure the animal is worth the effort as it may take all day to make the stock (as opposed to shooting across the canyon and "hoping for a hit").

Pat

Pretty new to all of this you knowledgeable guys will have to help me out. In the 10X42 magnification range simply, how do you measure performance between these optics in trying to figure out what is the best for your specific purpose? What is the difference (advantage/disadvantage) in the glass used between the major manufacturers? - Light clarity, low light visibility, clearness, fog proof, etc?

Thanks,

After looking through many many binos at the IWA my take would be, best Bino in: quality vs cost vs weight Kahles wins by a mile.
Second I'd concider Meopta, bit on the heavy side but optically very close to Kahles and Swaro. Also very good price.
Zeiss and Swaro is also very good but cost about twice as much as Kahles or Meopta.

I would not have any time for Leupold, neither scope nor bino. Had a few Leupold scopes in the past and thought they were great in the daytime but lacking at dusk and dawn.

For our hunting we prefer, 7x42 or 8x42 being a good compromise for longer walks and easy handling, even quick scanning one handed. 7x50 and 8x56 more for ambush shooting or high seat, just a bit more clumsy and heavy.
I use Zeiss Hensoldt 8x30 at the moment, just had the ranging scale and laser filter removed. Hope to get a pair of Kahles soon.

edi