• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best complete AR for under $1000

Outdoorsman9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2011
Wisc
I'm in the market for an AR and was just wondering what some of your recommendations would be. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I'm new to the AR scene so give me a break.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- .223 cal (5.56)
- Accurate out to 500 yards
- Reliable and easy to maintain/clean
- Company that cares about customer service
- Hunting/Target rig
- Compatable with a variety of optics

If there's another thread on here that would help with my search, please post the link.

Re: Best complete AR for under $1000

Take a look at the offerings from Rock River Arms (RRA) if $1k is your total budget (without optics). There are few companies that offer the quality of RRA for a more budget-minded price. Their Varmint, Predator Pursuit and similar rifles offer outstanding accuracy (sub-MOA capable and guaranteed), SS match barrels (Wylde chambered to permit use of both .223 Rem and 5.56x45 ammo). All of the RRA rifles I have fired have been well made/put together rifles that offered solid reliability with proper maintenance. RRA has had some hiccups with their CS dept in the past, but they are committed to provided good service from my experience with them. As for your optics flexibility, the RRA rifles I mentioned all have flattop uppers that allow for mounting of traditional scopes, holographic sights/red dots, etc.

The only issues with your wanted/needed features are with respect to "Hunting/Target rig." This all comes down to personal preference, but the weight you are willing to deal with will probably determine which rifle best suits your needs. The Varmint rifles have large diameter barrels (>1" under the HG, 0.936" at the junction, and 0.920" at the muzzle regardless of barrel length). The Predator rifles have a slightly smaller diameter barrel that brings the total weight of the rifle down approx. 1lb. Again, both are good rifles, you just need to decide whether either are right for you and which better meets your needs. Either of the rifles I mentioned can be had for around $950.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=213

If you want to discuss your specific needs with a good person and a LARGE volume dealer of RRA products, give Pete at Legal Transfers a call. He'll likely give you the best price around and he prides himself on helping out "first time buyers" of ARs. Here's a link to Pete site:

http://www.ar15sales.com/

just a thought if you are wanting to get to 500yds accurately.

you need a fast twist barrel to stabilize heavier bullets (1-7, 1-8). 69gr or 77gr smk's, or even the heavier bergers will do well at longer ranges in the 223. i just shoot 50 gr vmax's in my ar's and 500 yards is pushing it pretty hard. i keep the 223 for 300yds and in. when it comes to long distance i pull out the bigger bolt guns.

the heavier bullets will make a big difference out there around 500yds.

Maybe 500 was a little excessive. I do understand what you're saying though, a .223 doesn't fight wind very well. More of what I'm looking at is a rifle that can give me golfball size groups at 200 yards. Basically something that can shoot better than I can.

The RRA rifles I mentioned above all have 1:8 twist barrels that will work well with bullets up to 75gr or so and more than adequately get you to 500yds with excellent accuracy if you are capable as a shooter.

I have the RRA coyote 20" and its stupid accurate. It doesnt like berger 70gr vld cause the are long so maybe a faster twist would be helpful but the sierra 69 hpbt are plenty fine. I will say that for yote hunting it cant be beat for a 150-300 yd shot but it is very heavy once optics and a bipod are added.

+1 on RRA,

I really abused mine and shot cheap steel case wolf ammo through it for years. I decided that I would build a spr type ar and wanted to see the difference in accuracy so I bought a box of factory Hornady match ammo and went to the range with the RRA. I fired 3 shots at a 100 and thought to myself damn I only hit the paper once. I walked up to the target and it appeared that 2 went through the same hole and one slightly right to the side of the other 2. Anyhow I never thought that a RRA was capable of being that accurate or any Ar for that matter. Anyone looking for a good quality AR I point them in the direction of RRA.

I own 2 rock river ar rifles one is a 458 socom and the other is a 308. both are excellent rifles . If I was going to buy a 223 I would go for the a4 national match . it will handle heavy bullets , has excellent iron sights , 2 stage match trigger , floated barrel and removable carry handle to accomodate an optic . I also own a colt 6940 with a 1-7 twist barrel and a monolithic upper and I have to say it is scary accurate all for about 300 dollars more or there is always the 6920 colt for around 1100 bucks .

Be sure you get a 1:8 twist or faster and a 20" barrel. Rockrivers are good. Custom shops like Compass Lake Engineering that'll build you an upper with Kreiger barrel are better.

Plan to shoot 77 Matchkings if you want to get to 600 and run them through the mag.

-David
Edgewood, NM

1:8 stainless with a wylde chamber will do everything that you could ask a mag fed 223 AR to do. RRA are the most accurate of the factory built reasonably priced ones I've shot after that go with something like an 18" 1:8 twist sabre barrel and build a rifle around it.

I have a 1:7 CL 18" sabre and like everything about it except the accuracy, it's just not as good as a stainless.

Here ya go.
DSC_0007.jpg

If you went with a stock other than a UBR, you could build this for around $1K.

16" SS410 barrel from Bravo Company
Daniel Defense upper receiver
Bushmaster V-Match free float tube
The rest is run of the mill.

It was a solid sub MOA shooter with everything I put through it. The whole rig, less the bipod came in at under 10lbs. You can hump this thing for miles and not feel it much and when you need to lay down a lot of fire, it can do it and accurately.

If you want longer than 16", I'd say go for the same barrel in 18" with a rifle length gas system, like this....
DSC_0004.jpg

It's just the first rifle reworked.

I really don't know what the fascination is with big heavy bull barrels. A well built barrel with a slimmer (not slim) profile will shoot accurately, even after it gets hot.

Ill throw Del Ton's name out there. I ordered mine couple weeks ago...still waiting for it to get here, so I can't tell you first hand how it shoots, or it's quality. I can tell you that everyone I talked to, read about, have all spoke highly of DelTon. You just dont' hear much about them because they are a new company.

All that aside, you can pick one up assembled for $750, or unassembled (like I did) for $605.

If you can hold out for a few more weeks, once it gets here, will post up pics, and results once I get her to the range.

EDIT:
TonyAngel...nice rig, very nice.

Daniel Defense is making hunting specific AR's under the brand name Ambush.

Personally, I would stay way from OLY and DelTon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own an RRA varmint and I had an RRA national match, both are good rifles.

Building your own is the best way though.</div></div>

+1 on the RRA NM. I have shot some great groups at 500 yard using 77 gr SMK's with one.

A few months ago I bought a Bushmaster "custom shop" AR (XM15-E2S) at Cabelas. It came with a lot of upgraded features for about $1100 including-

BCS match 1:7 twist 16" mid length barrel
YHM gas block w/ front BUIS
YHM rear BUIS
YHM diamond free float forearm w/quad rail
Magpul MOE pistol grip
Magpul MOE adjustable buttstock
Enhanced tactical charging handle latch
Custom shop hard case

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Anyway this thing is a great shooter and I think it is hard to beat for the money. I'm pretty sure it is a Cabelas exclusive since I couldn't find it in any catalogs.

Bob

Best AR15s for 1000$ are Rock River Arms and CMMG. Both have great customer service. Both have great fit and finish. Both have great reputation for reliability.

I like Rock River, and am glad I started with one--but if I were to do it all over again I would use a small shop like AR Performance or Specialized Dyanmics and have them build me something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Rock River, and am glad I started with one--but if I were to do it all over again I would use a small shop like AR Performance or Specialized Dyanmics and have them build me something. </div></div>

I recommended RRA above and I stand by that recommendation for a budget of $1k or less, but...BUT, if you CAN GET Specialized Dynamics (or other AR custom shop) to build you an AR that meets your needs for your budget (or close to it anyway), then you will be better served by a custom built rifle than a factory production gun just about any day of the week.

I asked this same exact question here a month ago. Rock River Arms is what ive been told to get. The 3 that fit what were both looking at are the RRA entry operator 2, RRA coyote (its 1200), and the RRA predator pursuit (1100).

+1 on RRA

Theres a RRA operator on sale for 950 at my BX on base. I've thought about getting it

+1 for BCM. Just find something with a 1/7 or 1/8 twist and sling the heavier rounds out there.

I ordered a Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator2 yesterday. It was exactly $1000. I bought a RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator two weeks ago and couldn't believe the accuracy for a sixteen inch barrel.

another happy RRA owner here. currently have a 16" setup with eotech on larue mount. about to order another RRA, but a 10.5" SBR.

i've been extremely satisfied with their service. i originally ordered my 16" with a surefire rail (junk). sent it back after the rail started stripping, they promptly replaced and sent back with a DD M4 rail.

the gun has been a delight to shoot other than the forearm issue.

TheRes a Spikes Tactical upper and lower at the local gunshop , buy both for 819 + the state imposed thievery and I think you have the best made AR out there .

I put my franken AR up for sale to order a complete Spikes rifle . Fit and finish blow Bushmaster , Rock Puddle , Colt and all the others AWAY BY A LONG SHOT .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a braintrust on ar15.com.......go seek it </div></div>

I think you ment to say Brainfart .

+1 RRA
I realize I'm very new to this site so take my $.02 for what its worth.
I could not be happier with my 24" RRA Varmint. I bought it for F-Class shooting and P-Dog shooting and it fits the bill just fine.
It help me put up a 198-8x and 197-7x in my last 300yrd match. Let me just say for this first yr shooter I'm sold on RRA accuracy.

I have the RRA 20" varmint and at our last monthly 300-525 yrd match , I was able to take top score for the day against everything from custom .308 win, to a ar-30 338 lapua mag and all others for the day. A 69 gr bullet still flies pretty straight if you can get the velocity to 2800+ fps. I am very pleased with my RRA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a braintrust on ar15.com.......go seek it </div></div>

I think you ment to say Brainfart . </div></div>

Sure, there can be some douch-baggery over there, but there is a very large group of people in the tech section who can be of great help.

RRA makes a half decent product but take a lot of short cuts. They don't do the mil spec testing of bolts and barrels for one, and they at least used to do feed ramp extensions by way of dremel.

BCM (Bravo Co) make a better quality product at really fair prices, and their guns go through the mil spec list of tests before they are sent out. I think you will find the prices comparable...maybe a slight price increase on BCM but you are getting more value for your money. They do things the right way not cutting corners. They make uppers with SS barrels in 12.5, 16, 18, and 20 inches.

There are other options, too. RRA would be towards the bottom of my list.

Check out m4carbine.net if you want AR advice without the drama of ar15.com. A lot less noise to signal ratio.

I have had nothing but good luck with my Rock Rivers. Great rifles for the price!

I would search for a good used Bushmaster Varminter, with a low round count. Gun store price for new is around $1,200, but lightly used might be around $800-$900. I owned one about 5 years ago and it was unbelievably accurate. And mine wasn't an abberation either. A prairie dog hunting website years ago ran by "Bob the Sniper" touted the Bushmaster Varminter. With H335 he was getting consistent sub 0.25 MOA groups with 50-55 gr bullets in the factory 1:9 twist barrel. Mine had the best luck with 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips pushed by Ramshot's Exterminator at around 0.3 to 0.4 MOA. And I got those groups before fully learning how to shoot a gas gun.

That's how I'd spend my money.

Mega Machine forged upper: $119
Mega Machine forged upper: $127
Mega Machine Charging Handle: $29

Bolt Carrier: $60

2200 Apex Handguard System, Gator Grip, Mid Length: $173
CMMG AR-15 Custom 2-Stage Target Trigger: $120
AR15 Lower Receiver Parts Kit Less Trigger Group: $38
AR-15 Forward Assist Assembly: $12
Ejection Port Cover: $7

Advanced Technology AR-15 Military Buffer Tube Package: $37
Magpul MOE: $47

Fluted 16in Saturn Liberty barrel with matched bolt: $310

JP Adjustable Stainless gas block: 80
Gas tube: $9

Total: $1131

Getting it assembled will not add that much to the cost or you could do it yourself. You could get a rifle for less but you would be skimping on the trigger barrel and hand guard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mega Machine forged upper: $119
Mega Machine forged upper: $127
Mega Machine Charging Handle: $29

Bolt Carrier: $60

2200 Apex Handguard System, Gator Grip, Mid Length: $173
CMMG AR-15 Custom 2-Stage Target Trigger: $120
AR15 Lower Receiver Parts Kit Less Trigger Group: $38
AR-15 Forward Assist Assembly: $12
Ejection Port Cover: $7

Advanced Technology AR-15 Military Buffer Tube Package: $37
Magpul MOE: $47

Fluted 16in Saturn Liberty barrel with matched bolt: $310

JP Adjustable Stainless gas block: 80
Gas tube: $9

Total: $1131

Getting it assembled will not add that much to the cost or you could do it yourself. You could get a rifle for less but you would be skimping on the trigger barrel and hand guard.
</div></div>

Hmmmm,

I think you're on to something here. AR's are so easy to assemble even a dingbat like me can figure it out. With the components you list that could be a real tack driver!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daniel Defense is making hunting specific AR's under the brand name Ambush.

Personally, I would stay way from OLY and DelTon. </div></div>oly is not all bad ! but delton stay way !!!their barrels are not what used mossburg made and crap -i found out the bad way and learned ......

From BCM's web site <span style="font-weight: bold">We will again post order forms for new order submissions early May, 2011. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belmont31R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BCM (Bravo Co) make a better quality product at really fair prices, and their guns go through the mil spec list of tests before they are sent out. I think you will find the prices comparable...maybe a slight price increase on BCM but you are getting more value for your money. They do things the right way not cutting corners. They make uppers with SS barrels in 12.5, 16, 18, and 20 inches.

There are other options, too. RRA would be towards the bottom of my list.

Check out m4carbine.net if you want AR advice without the drama of ar15.com. A lot less noise to signal ratio.

</div></div>

I tossed BCM 20" upper on a RRA lower ended up right around 800$ could'nt be happier with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HighPoint</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the RRA 20" varmint and at our last monthly 300-525 yrd match , I was able to take top score for the day against everything from custom .308 win, to a ar-30 338 lapua mag and all others for the day. A 69 gr bullet still flies pretty straight if you can get the velocity to 2800+ fps. I am very pleased with my RRA. </div></div> I'm with you! There seems to a lot of confusion regarding bullet WT. and BC, the High Power Course at Perry is fired with ARs iron sights, and at 600, seems like when an AR goes to Ohio, it is magically given the power to shoot 600 yards! Sir, what is your load, are you shooting Varget?

I thought I would add, Sun Devil is now making rifles, I believe you can get into one for around a grand. (Upper and lowers are billet, really good stuff, you'll have quality to work with as time goes on)

Specialized Dynamics.
'hide sponsor and builder of solid performing precision AR's.