• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best compromise scope - ideas?

ofelas

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Duffelstan
Here's my perfect all around hunting scope - would do dual duty as a large critter & varmint/gong optic.

a. 3-26x50 or in that range, prefer 30mm+ tube. I'd take 3-12x50 as a minimum.

b. 2nd focal plane (I don't like crosshairs getting thinner when I dial magnification down generally speaking, unless they are still very usable at point blank range of 0-300) - FFP with a reticle usable across the magnification range would be fine.

c. About 1.5 lbs

d. I prefer holdover reticles with windage hash dots beside the vertical crosshair. I'd take a NH1 or similar with hash marks (familiar with mil-dots, don't particularly want them given a choice of Gen 2).

e. Illumination - ideally the center part, would take an illuminated dot if I had to, as I prefer something that draws the eye quickly to the center.

f. Target/tactical turrets are nice to dial in different loads or shooting >600 yards.

g. Side AO.

h. Anything with more than 45 MOA total elevation is fine, as this will only be a 1000 yarder, on a 20 MOA rail.

Re: Best compromise scope - ideas?

You should really provide what your budget is...many choices to pick from with what specs you've provided so far.

My first impression would be for you to check out a NightForce NXS 5.5-22X...you pick the front objective 50 or 56mm..they weigh in at 31 and 32 oz's. I would choose either the NP-R1 or the NP-R2 reticle. This scope would be extremely rugged and have very good optics and have the reticle of which you asked...along with excellent tactical turrets. Here's a link to their website page for the scopes I mentioned:

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56/5_5-22x50_-_5_5-22x56.html

Good Luck,

Wayne

Around $2.5k
The 5.5x is a bit high for the minimum mag.
The last NF I looked through wasn't very impressive at dusk, though it seemed very rugged.
This was the 3.5-15x50 with NPR-2

sounds a whole lot like a March Tactical..
smile.gif

Good shooting,
Gary

That 2.5-25x42 March seems slick.

How is it in low light?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex razor HD </div></div>

They brought out a new Razor HD with SFP, 3x minimum mag & 30mm tube?

Not wanting to start the whole glass debate, but there is a lot to be said for quality of optic over magnification. In the upper price ranges you could get a lower magnification that would allow for longer distance because of optic quality with a FFP. I'm thinking Premier Hunter with the XR reticle. It has the holdover dots, the illumination, first tier optics, 30mm tube, elevation but not the upper end magnification.

Just a thought.

I'm OK with the better glass & 3-15 or so. I don't *need* anything over 10x really, just looking for a new scope with illumination.

That's why I mentioned 3-12, as I've been considering a Hensoldt , even though it's 34mm.

Also looked at the 3.5-15x50 NXS FFP with the MLR 2.0 - another FFP that seems like it would work well as an all-around scope for close in hunting on low mag as well as coyotes/antelope at longer ranges.

I agree with EventHorizon and will add to that eye relief, weight, durability and repeatability. I tried a 5-20, but went back to a Premier 3-15 (the LT).

Have you thought of a Zeiss Diavari 4-16x50? It fulfills all your requirements except it doesn't have much in the way of reticle choices. You would probably be stuck with another mildot if you went that route, but the glass is exceptional and it's quite a performer in low light. You might have to do a little looking to find one for 2.5k with illumination, but they are out there.

The 4-16x50 Diavari was actually my first choice, but it's too close to a 4.5-14x50 Conquest to justify the additional $1000.

As far as the Diavari - the only illumination is in the way of the #60 lit dot - a nice reticle, but if I want holdovers, I'm stuck with the RZ-800 optimized at ~8x for my particular .308 load.

No illumination & no target/ASV turrets on the RZ-800 in this scope either.

I could step up to the Diavari 6-24x56 with illuminated Rapid-Z 1000, but the 6x low is way too high for my uses.